Farm raised beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Does anyone know of any GMO self fertilizing summer squash? What happens here every year is all the first big gorgeous flowers are female, then all the flowers are male, then all female, right now all are male.

I live in the Oklahoma City area and I'm looking for suggestions of Rancher's that sell their farm raised beef. I want grass fed from an organic program and no GMO feed. Are there any in my area?

BJ Taylor
BJ

Certified organic programs aren't allowed to use GMO feeds. So if you find someone advertising organic -- just make sure they are registered organic producers and you will be fine.

Be careful with the term "grass fed" -- all of my cattle are "grass fed" but they are finished on a ration of grass/roughage, alfalfa, and corn. Keep in mind that technically corn/maize IS a grass as well. So the ability for someone to mislead you on the terms you inquired about above is pretty easy and they wouldn't even be lying :)

S

Non GMO feed may be difficult to source. Corn and soybeans are used in animal feed. 90% + of all the corn and soybeans produced in the US are GMO varieties. Why is that? What is the purpose or benefit of GMO? GMO corn and soybeans are modified to be resistant to certain herbicides (weed and grass killers). Why is that important? Prior to GMO, cropland was plowed/tilled to kill all existing plants and vegetation prior to planting a crop. That process uses a lot of fuel, a lot of labor, contributes to pollution, lessens air quality, takes more time and money, decreases soil moisture, lessens the health of the soil, allows conditions for loss of soil due to wind and rain (LOTS of soil in many cases from runoff and erosion). Soil loss is never good. There is no real loss, it just goes into the water and streams and ends up somewhere else. Then the crop was planted into the tilled soil. As grasses and weeds emerge, they must be removed to allow the crop to thrive and produce for harvest. That requires more soil disturbance by using field hands (people) with hoes to chop the weeds or tractors with cultivators (mini-plows of sorts) to till the soil again to remove the weeds and grass. That process again uses a lot of fuel, contributes to pollution, lessens air quality, takes more time and money, decreases soil moisture, lessens the health of the soil, allows conditions for loss of soil due to wind and rain. That process would be repeated multiple times until the crop formed a large enough canopy over the soil to shade the ground and inhibit new grass and weed emergence.

GMO crops allow the farmer to plant a crop into the previous year's stubble without tilling the soil or with minimum tillage of the soil - avoiding many of those extra costs and damages to the soil, air and water that the old methods of farming produced. As weeds and grasses emerge, the crop is sprayed with an EPA approved herbicide that kills the weeds and grasses, but does not damage the crop. With less fuel, less pollution, less damage to the environment, better soil health and other good effects. Spraying uses far less fuel and smaller equipment than cultivating resulting in much less impact on environment. Those are the advantages of GMO crops.

I know of a chicken company that started producing non-gmo chickens. Sounds good to some people. If there is a demand for a product and the company can get a premium for that product, economics might say to produce that non-gmo chicken. They had problems buying and getting delivery on enough non-gmo corn and soybean meal to keep the chickens fed and found that the economics were not working in their favor. They stopped producing non-gmo chickens.

You may already know and understand all this. But I wanted to point out that there are advantages to GMO including positive effects on natural resources and environment. What do you see as the attraction to non-gmo fed beef?
Does GMO feed for chickens pass through or does the modified gene affect the natural gene of a chicken? Mexico is freaking out about GMO corn.

GMO feed ingredients (corn, soybeans, etc) do not change the genetics of the animal consuming the feed. Even though people might say you are what you eat, it does not change the dna.

I wonder if sleeping on cotton sheets from gmo cotton would make a person resistant to glyphosate and dicamba? I don't think so but might be a good thing for the people who fear herbicides.:)

GMO feed ingredients (corn, soybeans, etc) do not change the genetics of the animal consuming the feed. Even though people might say you are what you eat, it does not change the dna.

I wonder if sleeping on cotton sheets from gmo cotton would make a person resistant to glyphosate and dicamba? I don't think so but might be a good thing for the people who fear herbicides.:)
I eat BT corn just to keep the ear worms at bay!:)

Latest posts