Startup farm

Help Support CattleToday:

JBWal336

Reaction score
Hello all. I've been toying the idea of starting a small cattle farm. I have 76ac on the Virginia/NC line 25 of which is pasture. I have access to fresh clean water due to a medium size creek that runs through the farm. I'm not looking to make this a full time ordeal, I own a telecommunications business and that pays the bills. This would be for some supplemental income, and to share the experience with my two young daughters and family. I'm mostly interested in angus for beef, unless of course someone convinces me otherwise. So onto the questions.
1- how should I start 5-10 head?
2- would cow/calf be smart for first time, or feeders? I don't think I'm ready for breeding just yet so that's out.
3- when should I pull the trigger on buying cattle this year? If calves are purchased this fall when do I sell.
4- in spring should I take the cow to the auction and keep the calf's?
5- is this even a good time to buy into cattle?
I'd like to move into a bigger farm and work my way up to 50 or so head in the future.I'm sure it's apparent, 0 experience with cattle. My FL had 18 head on the same farm growing up but that was 50 years ago.
Thank you all in advance for the help!!!

Last edited:
I'd go out and buy 5 or 10 fall calving, middle age to older bred cows.
Get your feet wet. Those older cows usually know their job. They didnt get to be old by NOT doing their job.

Pick your flavor for beef cows. Nothing wrong with hereford, angus, black or red, charolais, the list is really endless. I like a good crossbred mutt. One of these days I'll decide what direction I wanna go....

Terrible time to buy cows round here. Prices are way way up. Unless you got a good eye for a deal and know how to help a cow along.
Late fall is usually a good time to buy a few of the aforementioned bred cows as folks are thinning herds so they have less to feed thru winter.

I've no real experience with stocker type animals. I do cow/calf and love it!

Facilities are a big plus. Pen, chute, barn etc

The possibilities are endless!

Great that you want to give your kids the experience of a farm.
Number one suggestion... find someone in the area and try to do some "interning with them"... find out if you even like dealing with cattle.
Is the farm fenced? NUMBER 1 necessity.... good fences... if you start out with so-so fences you will always be fixing and will get behind..... and learn to hate the phone and every time it rings that cattle are out.
If you are thinking you are not ready for breeding why would you want to start out with cow/calf pairs???? You will put money into them that you will never get back out by selling the cows the following year... that is not practical or smart. A cow calf pair will cost say 12-1500. For decent stock. Cull cows are worth say 60 cents a lb... an average decent cow say weighs 1300 lbs... so she will only be worth 780 as a cull cow.... and the calf prices are decent right now; but looking like they will drop due to the drought in a good part of VA... and across the country... so the bottom could fall out of the cull cow market and feeders might drop or there might be a scarcity of them and prices go way up. If you sell the calf for 700 in the spring... all according to the size, then you might break even.... IF .... you have absolutely no death loss or sickness... or anything else.

If your fences are decent, how about try leasing the farm out to a neighbor with cows for a year... offer to help them some... explain you want to get some experience... and get dirty... learn the ropes.

If you do not want to get some time in with someone who does this... then my suggestion is to buy WEANED and VACCINATED STEERS... in the 6-700 lb range so they are pretty much "self sufficient".... well accustomed to being away from their mommas... so they will not go fence jumping.... and capable of getting out and grazing...
Get some hay as back up because you are not going to be able to just graze them.... weather will dictate how much hay... but it is also in short supply in many parts of VA due to the dry conditions....but you still need someone that can help you out with any conditions that might indicate sickness or something.... before they get too sick and you lose one....
I am not trying to discourage you... but it is an expensive "hobby" to get into and you can lose your shirt in a hurry.

I admire that you are not afraid to say you have 0 experience... most will not admit they don't know anything and read a book or 2 and then won't ask for advice or help. If you truly want to do this, finding a "mentor" would be the best thing you can do to get some practical experience.... and whatever you learn you can then study others and then decide if it will work for you....
Everyone on this forum does some things differently... not right or wrong... just we each have our own way... most of us are willing to listen and learn even if we have been doing it for 50 years....might change the way we do something... might not...

I am in the Shenandoah valley but there are others from VA on here that might be closer to you... and could maybe help you out with advice or even for you to go work a day or 2 on their farm as a learning experience... just to get a feel for it....

I'll add to Jan's, if you do buy the steers, go ahead and buy a calm heavy bred cow or better yet a pair. The old cow will be a calming influence on the calves, and can even be a leader of sorts. You'll also get a little experience with both sides of the business.
First year, just buy half of what your place can handle, you'll have less invested and the grass will last longer. If things go south, you won't have as big a mess on your hands.
Murray was right, you'll need some facilities. At the least, invest in some good corral panels and a chute, or enough panels to funnel down to a chute. Makes life way easier.
Form a relationship with a good vet. They are worth their weight in gold.

I sold way down due to clogged arteries, but kept a few old cows and my bull. I had too much grass, so I bought some 380-450 pound calves and let them eat it. I sell when their current weight is bringing good money. The old cows keep the calves calm. I'm halfway-ish between 2 auction barns, and I use whichever is cheaper at the time for buying and sell where they are going better. So what's worked for me is a few problem free cows and a calm bull along with stocker calves that I buy and sell so that I don't have to mess with birthing. I guess that you still need some experience to do that.

Only thing you really need is a cross fence to wean calves. Go for it. I would get cows and a bull. Or long bred cows or pairs and then later a bull.

I don't know anything about ranching. We have some cows we check on occasionally. They seem to make it. Turns out animals can do that. I'm trying to learn more and go amateur league some day.

I would go the weaned and vaxxed steer route I believe 6 to 10 head. Do you have any equipment? You'll at least need access to a tractor and brushhog, at the minimum. Reach out to your neighbors, most are willing to help, if you can help them, do it. Fences, facilities.

I would go the weaned and vaxxed steer route I believe 6 to 10 head. Do you have any equipment? You'll at least need access to a tractor and brushhog, at the minimum. Reach out to your neighbors, most are willing to help, if you can help them, do it. Fences, facilities.
Also some way to catch and load them out-sucks to have market-ready calves and no way to get them there👍

I sold way down due to clogged arteries, but kept a few old cows and my bull. I had too much grass, so I bought some 380-450 pound calves and let them eat it. I sell when their current weight is bringing good money. The old cows keep the calves calm. I'm halfway-ish between 2 auction barns, and I use whichever is cheaper at the time for buying and sell where they are going better. So what's worked for me is a few problem free cows and a calm bull along with stocker calves that I buy and sell so that I don't have to mess with birthing. I guess that you still need some experience to do that.
Vincennes and Greenville?