Beef steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
So far we've only had our own calves processed except a couple cows for ground beef.
This time around we sold all our steers with the idea of buying back some cheaper but good quality off color calves. Didn't get it done fast enough, now we paying as much or more for those calves a pound and heavier weight.😂
So far here's what we've come up with.
Is that black one a Belted Galloway cross?
Hereford was a bull and weighed 570, black one bought today steer weighing 620.
$1.75 and $1.70 respectively. 5EFE6ACD-ACB0-4981-AC27-2C94B2933FC3.jpegE607AEE1-5D5E-4573-BA3E-550D16CA24A8.jpeg

Probably an angus(beef)/hol/belted cross... could have some Dutch Belted in it instead of Belted Galloway. The white feet can come from any possible cross with some holstein or part holstein... and the belts on both the Dutch belted dairy cattle and the belted galloway are definitely a prepotent gene.... doesn't look like it has much dairy in it, but that will put the white feet whereas a hereford will mostly always put white on the face and the topline.

Genetics and color patterns can be interesting sometimes. This steer is out of a Simangus cow and a Simangus bull. His dam has quite a bit of chrome, and was one I raised out of an old style brown and white Simmental cow. Her calves over the years have varied from solid black to mottle faced to some white on the sides to belts like this one. All out of Angus or Simangus bulls. Her last two calves have had the belted pattern, but this one had the most with his front legs being white too. 274039F8-8527-4CE3-9461-EE2DFB6FC00D.jpegD141DE6D-F5C6-48C0-8CB9-373FC8602AA6.jpeg

Genetics and color patterns can be interesting sometimes. This steer is out of a Simangus cow and a Simangus bull. His dam has quite a bit of chrome, and was one I raised out of an old style brown and white Simmental cow. Her calves over the years have varied from solid black to mottle faced to some white on the sides to belts like this one. All out of Angus or Simangus bulls. Her last two calves have had the belted pattern, but this one had the most with his front legs being white too. View attachment 27166View attachment 27167
Nice looking calves.
We saw one sell yesterday that looked a lot like your first calf but it had a wider swath of white. I almost bought it too, but I can't hear well and never could catch where the price was in time.
I've mentioned it before but we had a Hereford bull that when mated with certain Hereford cows the calves would often have belts like your second calf. I always figured that the bull and those cows even though purebred had some old time red and white spotted Simmental somewhere in their background, That bull and his descendants also tend to throw a lot of white on most of their calves.

Nice looking calves.
We saw one sell yesterday that looked a lot like your first calf but it had a wider swath of white. I almost bought it too, but I can't hear well and never could catch where the price was in time.
I've mentioned it before but we had a Hereford bull that when mated with certain Hereford cows the calves would often have belts like your second calf. I always figured that the bull and those cows even though purebred had some old time red and white spotted Simmental somewhere in their background, That bull and his descendants also tend to throw a lot of white on most of their calves.
Thanks. She's bout like a longhorn waiting to calve, you never know what it will look like til it pops out. I'd rather not have calves with the extra white markings, but she's an old sentimental favorite, and still raises a big calf every year, so she gets to stay. Here some of the different variations she's had over the years. EC91279B-E564-420D-9B92-E2ABB3C6DD04.jpeg38BF3DC7-1114-4AAF-B14A-0CAEBC1D54D4.jpeg77F0151C-E33E-4681-A456-48088F7929D8.jpegFBE817F4-AC3B-437F-AEFA-3B4E24B9E2F9.jpegFC83029C-1D4B-438D-B352-37BC84BCD801.jpegBA6FE72A-FCE8-46D5-B86F-720C6CBCE71B.jpeg

Latest posts