Why did no one tell me?!...:)

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
No one told me bulls have weird scrotum teats!
Joined up here with no experience at all with cattle and super appreciative of all the help I've received from this forum over the years. I rent a bull every summer and for the first time, noticed these 5-inch long nozzle-like things coming out from the base of the scrotum. I kind of internally freaked out a bit and thought maybe it was some weird anatomical defect that had been missed, although the ranch I rent from is great. Took me about 30 min to text a friend and figure it out. So I thought 1) some of you guys might find this funny, and 2) Other beginners can now be informed. That is all.

I suspect exceptionally long teats on a bull is a sign of hormone imbalance and would request to see his breeding soundness exam report or a replacement rental bull. A significant deviation from the norm is not a good thing in breeding stock.

Years ago we double implanted steers (not recommended) trying to increase feedlot gains. One thing I noticed was the teats on those steers grew exceptionally long.

Yes
No one told me bulls have weird scrotum teats!
Joined up here with no experience at all with cattle and super appreciative of all the help I've received from this forum over the years. I rent a bull every summer and for the first time, noticed these 5-inch long nozzle-like things coming out from the base of the scrotum. I kind of internally freaked out a bit and thought maybe it was some weird anatomical defect that had been missed, although the ranch I rent from is great. Took me about 30 min to text a friend and figure it out. So I thought 1) some of you guys might find this funny, and 2) Other beginners can now be informed. That is all.
Yea, it's true... boys have nipples. But usually they are up at the attachment of the scrotum (is that what you meant by base?) and they aren't 5 inches long. And yea... kind of funny.

Have you got nipples? (Assuming you are male...)

I suspect exceptionally long teats on a bull is a sign of hormone imbalance and would request to see his breeding soundness exam report or a replacement rental bull. A significant deviation from the norm is not a good thing in breeding stock.

Years ago we double implanted steers (not recommended) trying to increase feedlot gains. One thing I noticed was the teats on those steers grew exceptionally long.
This is a good post Son of Butch. Exceptionally long teats on a male mammal, including a wild or domestic grazing animal is definitely a sign of hormone imbalance/disruption. For some of the other posters here, there isn't anything funny about hormone imbalance/disruption in males, or in females either.

Pudubdo, when you looked at the scrotum, was it long enough to contain the testes well away from the body wall, with a narrow area that is called the "neck" between the top of the testes and the body wall? If it wasn't you should definitely consider following Son of Butch's recommendations, unless all of the calves from the bull are going to slaughter, including the females.

Last edited:
Funny note - I grew up a city girl - Pawtucket, Rhode Island. I had ALWAYS heard the expression "useless as tits on a boar". Funny I would have heard that expression growing up city. Then I moved to the country in Kansas. A neighbor raised pigs. Had a farrowing house. I found out (like SOB just mentioned) - teats on a boar are EXTREMELY important. What he has passes on to his daughters.
So, that brings up the question, should we be checking what our bulls have for teats.
5" teats are totally not normal - and does not sound good.

Funny note - I grew up a city girl - Pawtucket, Rhode Island. I had ALWAYS heard the expression "useless as tits on a boar". Funny I would have heard that expression growing up city. Then I moved to the country in Kansas. A neighbor raised pigs. Had a farrowing house. I found out (like SOB just mentioned) - teats on a boar are EXTREMELY important. What he has passes on to his daughters.
So, that brings up the question, should we be checking what our bulls have for teats.
5" teats are totally not normal - and does not sound good.
Neither does 5 inch long teats.

So maybe I guesstimate length the same way I estimate lbs on a bass, but here's the pic

Attachments

• 2967AD10-F992-4353-94B9-871889C69444.jpeg
    2967AD10-F992-4353-94B9-871889C69444.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 54