Mat in the bottom of a chute or no?

Help Support CattleToday:

The 1st 2-3 that go thru will deposit enough poop in the bottom that the mat will get slick quick. I put expanded metal in the bottom of mine. It rusted out pretty quick and caked up with manure anyway so I took it out. Out in the weather in a rainy climate and I just learned to deal with the mud/manure mix. Didn't use it often and the cows didn't seem to know the difference anyway.

We have a preifert with a metal floor, it has traction bars every 12 or 18 inches. I keep a water hose and shovel handy if I'm working more than a few head. We definitely have issue with them getting slippery. Would hate to have a broken leg or neck due to slippage.

I have wondered about strips of griptape or something. I also like the idea of a bucket of sand, will probably try that.

I think a mat, for me, would only complicate the issue. Haven't tried it though.

The 1st 2-3 that go thru will deposit enough poop in the bottom that the mat will get slick quick. I put expanded metal in the bottom of mine. It rusted out pretty quick and caked up with manure anyway so I took it out. Out in the weather in a rainy climate and I just learned to deal with the mud/manure mix. Didn't use it often and the cows didn't seem to know the difference anyway.
They only do 2 or 3, and only twice a year.

I have a scale in my alley that is just metal diamond plate. We had a lot of sliding/slipping so I just put down a 1/8" rubber mat on top. It works really well.

Interesting about the squeeze comments -- for years I worked cattle with my dad and we kept the chute narrow/feet area narrow and used the squeeze. Cattle seemed to go down a lot, slip a lot. My dad built a hump bar system to try and help. Anyway, my vet comes to help a sick animal maybe 10 years ago and he gives me a lecture on a better method. We now have the chute set fairly wide. Hardly ever use the squeeze and rarely have animals go down (same chute for working cows to calves).
What works for you works for you -- so not trying to be critical -- I'd still be using the chute the way my dad taught me if not for the lecture, haha.

Traction bars of 5/8" rebar every 12" or so should work fine. A mat just makes a mess and lose the benefit of the traction bars.

We do not have a squeeze on our chute in the barn. There are metal bars that run crossways about every 12 inches ? on the bottom..... Dirt floor inbetween. I actually will shovel more dirt in there occasionally as it gets pushed out the sides and back. We have had only maybe 2-3 go down in the chute in 10 years, and we work 20-30 through at a time... often 2-3 times a month. Preg checks, working 5 wt bulls through to get banded... bulls to get BSE... BUT... it is undercover and does not get wet except for manure. Gets sloppy from manure for preg checks and shovel more dirt in to soak it up. Have never had a squeeze chute to use... wouldn't know how to use one. Guess ignorance is bliss. When banding or cutting a few bulls in the 5-6 wts. one of us is actually inside pushing them against the other side with the tail held up over the back and the other works in the back... I usually do the holding... and at that size I can still pretty much hold them.... Have held the tails up from the outside on real fractious ones...

Interesting about the squeeze comments -- for years I worked cattle with my dad and we kept the chute narrow/feet area narrow and used the squeeze. Cattle seemed to go down a lot, slip a lot. My dad built a hump bar system to try and help. Anyway, my vet comes to help a sick animal maybe 10 years ago and he gives me a lecture on a better method. We now have the chute set fairly wide. Hardly ever use the squeeze and rarely have animals go down (same chute for working cows to calves).
What works for you works for you -- so not trying to be critical -- I'd still be using the chute the way my dad taught me if not for the lecture, haha.
Interesting. I had the vet out one time. He had his young daughter with him. Take your daughter to work day? Anyway this heifer was dancing around in the chute. He squeezed her down tight. She just stood. And went to explaining to his daughter how a cow felt secure when held tightly. I can't remember all the exact things he said but the general thing was squeeze tight. I leave the floor wide and squeeze tight.

You can use horse trailer mats, or those thick rubber mats that you put down where people have to stand on concrete at work, and pull them out after you use the chute each time.
Exactly. I have mats covering my scales at the end of the alley, the palpating chute, and the bottom of the squeeze chute. 2 coats of aluminum paint on a clean surfaced floor of the chute minimizes corrosion. If a cow is going to show out in the head gate I want her doing it on her feet instead of on her knees.

I think that using a squeeze and leaving the floor wide is a good thing. Sure would be a little better with doing the banding and/or cutting that way.... But... we use what we've got.....
Makes me wonder why every chute/headgate I've ever seen had been designed to be smaller at the bottom. I've had animals slip and fall and it's always a struggle to get them out, sometimes to keep them from strangling, because falling down means they slide into a tighter spot.
It's just a physical reality that animals will fall. It's gonna happen.

Makes me wonder why every chute/headgate I've ever seen had been designed to be smaller at the bottom. I've had animals slip and fall and it's always a struggle to get them out, sometimes to keep them from strangling, because falling down means they slide into a tighter spot.
It's just a physical reality that animals will fall. It's gonna happen.
Haven't seen all with narrow bottoms.

Keeping your cattle from being over prodded and excited coming in the chute can cut out a lot of their fighting in the chute. I have a Priefert with a metal floor and have little problems with cattle slipping and falling after catching their head and squeezing.

Keeping your cattle from being over prodded and excited coming in the chute can cut out a lot of their fighting in the chute. I have a Priefert with a metal floor and have little problems with cattle slipping and falling after catching their head and squeezing.
We never use a prod, the one that gets antsy the most walks into the chute, does fine being caught, but we AI and unfortunately, the shots for syncing are not a favorite. She also has the worst feet (top of the taking a ride list if needed), and I'm trying to keep slide potential down. Just getting ideas

We have a Priefert, Arrowquip and Titan chute. Only the Arrowquip has rubber on the floor, the Titan has a breast bar (I don't love the Priefert, but it does the job). I rarely have a cow or calf go down in any of them and when it happens, it's usually after an unpleasant procedure like treating a hoof, lancing an abscess, etc. @Fred nailed it. Don't get all cowboy in the corral and rush 'em in the chute. As far as squeezing, I'd say it's case by case. With a one 'n done shot, quite often I don't even use the headgate or the squeeze.

We never use a prod, the one that gets antsy the most walks into the chute, does fine being caught, but we AI and unfortunately, the shots for syncing are not a favorite. She also has the worst feet (top of the taking a ride list if needed), and I'm trying to keep slide potential down. Just getting ideas
Well, that's a whole new twist. Just the one? Squeeze her tight, sand or sawdust on the floor of the chute. If she still goes down, open the headgate enough so she doesn't choke.

100 an hour when we preg test, lots kneel but rarely will one go down. We line 8 to 10 in the alley for vaccinations and the chute is the escape route. No time to wait for Bessie to be coerced into the chute so prod is there should it be needed. We usually have to limit how many are in alley as they will pile up in squeeze. Our other setup has a rolling door behind first cow, saves a lot of time.

100 an hour when we preg test, lots kneel but rarely will one go down. We line 8 to 10 in the alley for vaccinations and the chute is the escape route. No time to wait for Bessie to be coerced into the chute so prod is there should it be needed. We usually have to limit how many are in alley as they will pile up in squeeze. Our other setup has a rolling door behind first cow, saves a lot of time.
Exactly the same here sounds like. I have a prep cage behind the palp cage so the is always a single cow ready when the vet opens the palp cage to let the cow into the chute. What slows down preg checking here is waiting for the vets verdict before giving Ivomec and shots. The vet is crazy fast, but that few seconds per cow to give meds adds up. If it was testing only I think 130-150 per hour might be achievable.