Wagyu Ribeyes

Help Support CattleToday:

I figure that if you cook it on the grill and have plenty of water handy to put out the grease fires, it ought to be pretty durn tender.

The folks that feed beer to their cattle are friends. They do very well selling their meat to restaurants and at the Houston Farmers' Markets.

chippie":7jqvak2d said:
I figure that if you cook it on the grill and have plenty of water handy to put out the grease fires, it ought to be pretty durn tender.

You would leave it over the fire that long?

The fat content in Wagyu consists more of mono saturated than poly saturated fat. Hence better health wise for people with high cholestrol. We are currently enjoying our second halfblood steer and the meat is exceptional. Most of the Wagyu steaks you see like the ones pictured here will cook out most all of that marbling and look like a full meat steak when done. The marbling in most Wagyu steaks will start to break down after simply laying your finger on the steak for several seconds from your body heat. Everyone that I have sold this beef to has fell in love with it. Actually you can grow it for not a lot more cost than feeding out other animals. I have some 3/4 embryos that we flushed and I cant wait to try a calf from them.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":j673qblk said:
The fat content in Wagyu consists more of mono saturated than poly saturated fat. Hence better health wise for people with high cholestrol. We are currently enjoying our second halfblood steer and the meat is exceptional. Most of the Wagyu steaks you see like the ones pictured here will cook out most all of that marbling and look like a full meat steak when done. The marbling in most Wagyu steaks will start to break down after simply laying your finger on the steak for several seconds from your body heat. Everyone that I have sold this beef to has fell in love with it. Actually you can grow it for not a lot more cost than feeding out other animals. I have some 3/4 embryos that we flushed and I cant wait to try a calf from them.

Circle H Ranch

Do you feed the 1/2 bloods out differently? or harvest them at different times than continental/british cattle?

The one we are enjoying now was fed to 25 months but on purpose. He received about 5-7 pounds of feed each day and hung at 813 at 25 months. I am not sure what he weighed on the hoof at killing time. The halfbloods will feed out and finish quicker than a fullblood will. I developed this one differently than the last. A guy down the road from me puts his halfbloods on full feed at weaning and kills them at around 13-14 months weighing 1100-1200 lbs. he is telling me. He sells it by the half and I think sold 17 head last year that way.

Circle H Ranch

Very Nice marbling to say the least. Thank You for posting the photo. We have two wagyu crossbreds a 1/2 waygu steer out of a holstein cow that will be butchered next year. Our first experience with Wagyu and I'm eager to see how he'll turn out for taste and marbling. I hope to post pictures of how he did [good or bad] for comparision. I know he won't hold a candle to yours, but we'll see how he does. We also have a wagyu x holstein heifer born 12-7-12 named Pearl [as in Pearl Harbor; had to go there with the Dec. 7th birthdate] and hope to breed her A.I. for a 3/4 Waygu calf.

greybeard":3t0iemg9 said:
chippie":3t0iemg9 said:
Killen's Steakhouse in Pearland. No--I have not been there, but the reviews seem to all agree their steaks are great tho very $$$. Ya never now about those reviews tho--maybe most of them have never really had a "REAL" steak..

Killen's is the real deal. For those of you around Houston, it's worth the effort if you get a chance - though it is $$$$

whitecow":3os3jcmk said:
We're about to taste test the latest harvest!
BX58_FB_Wagyu.jpg

Next time you have a couple of those beauties for dinner take a pic of them plated and post it in the recipe board under what are you eating so we can see the finished product. :tiphat:

Bet they were fantastic !

White cow, didnt mean to highjack your thread. Was trying to give a little support ! lol I did post some being cooked on the other board.

Circle H Ranch

Tenderness and marbling are two different things.
High marbling does not necessarily equate to tender meat - it's a misconception that's widespread.
With the caveat that well-marbled beef will be more 'tender' when cooked to well done than will a lean cut of meat cooked to the same degree of doneness. It really is the 'taste fat', as opposed to the 'waste fat' that often has to be trimmed away from the outside of the cut.

We're currently selecting for high marbling and high tenderness genetic markers in sire selection in our breeding program - have considered trialing some Wagyu - though if I'm just selling weaned calves at the salebarn, I have some doubts about whether or not I'd just take a hit for slower growth and less prominent muscling, as opposed to using Angus/Simmental/Shorthorn sires with high marbling/ribeye/tenderness scores in addition to breed-average or higher WW epds.
If I were feeding out for custom slaughter and direct sale, I'd definitely make a few halfblood Wagyu to see how they work out.

Yes, marbling and tenderness are definitely different traits. I believe Wagyu possess an abundance of both. Those two ribeyes could literally be cut with a fork. The 1/2 Wagyu x Char steaks that I have eaten were not quite as tender (or quite as marbled) but they more tender (and marbled) than just about any other steak I have eaten.

Cattleman 200, thanks for your comments about the type of fat in Wagyu. It is true that the fat on these steaks began to melt at room temp before I put them on the grill. I cooked one to about medium rare for myself and the other medium for Mom & Dad. They were not greasy or fatty at all...just juicy and tender.

This was the 34th Wagyu or Wagyu cross steer that we have fed and harvested. We have tried different genetics and various methods of feeding. We learned quite a bit about them over the last 3-4 years. One thing that I can say is that I have not yet had a Wagyu steak that I didn't like nor have we received a single complaint from a customer. In fact, the most common comment we have gotten from customers is "that was the best steak I have ever eaten".

Raising Wagyu/Wagyu cross cattle will not work for everyone but I am more than pleased with the way it is working for us right now.

And for what it's worth, that was the best steak that I have ever eaten. I look forward to trying to find an even better one!

RScott":c9avtm6x said:
greybeard":c9avtm6x said:
chippie":c9avtm6x said:
Killen's Steakhouse in Pearland. No--I have not been there, but the reviews seem to all agree their steaks are great tho very $$$. Ya never now about those reviews tho--maybe most of them have never really had a "REAL" steak..

Killen's is the real deal. For those of you around Houston, it's worth the effort if you get a chance - though it is $$$$
Not sure I can 'clean up' good enough to get in a place like that. ;-) But considering the last time I opted for a restraunt cooked steak and left terribly disappointed, I might give Wagyu a try.

Hofbrau in Porter (up 59 North of houston) I ordered a 20 oz porterhouse on Mother's Day. It was, without a doubt, the toughest steak I've ever eaten, and I've had some tough ones in my 63 yer life. More gristle than anything else. Advertized as being from Nolan Ryan's ranch and being CAB...--but I thought the baseball hall of famer was in Beefmaster production. They usually have good steaks there. This one sure wasn't--shoulda sent it back to the kitchen but didn't..
Just a bad night maybe.. Wife had a ribeye and said it was nice and tender.

Hofbrau in Porter (up 59 North of houston) I ordered a 20 oz porterhouse on Mother's Day. It was, without a doubt, the toughest steak I've ever eaten, and I've had some tough ones in my 63 yer life. More gristle than anything else. Advertized as being from Nolan Ryan's ranch and being CAB...--but I thought the baseball hall of famer was in Beefmaster production. They usually have good steaks there. This one sure wasn't--shoulda sent it back to the kitchen but didn't..
Just a bad night maybe.. Wife had a ribeye and said it was nice and tender.[/quote]

Sounds like you got a vein steak. The first 3 steaks on the loin end of a NY strip or a Shortloin have a serious ligament running thru them. In most NY's they jaccard the veing to make it chewable. No one i know of jaccards a porterhouse........You shoulda sent it back!

greybeard":1wa67b6b said:
Just a bad night maybe.. Wife had a ribeye and said it was nice and tender.

Nolan is Beefmaster. Nolan's Tender Beef or something like that. I'd try a high dollar steak once but I too have been disappointed at the last couple of steaks I've ordered while dining out.

3waycross":3vstnbtl said:
Sounds like you got a vein steak. The first 3 steaks on the loin end of a NY strip or a Shortloin have a serious ligament running thru them. In most NY's they jaccard the veing to make it chewable. No one i know of jaccards a porterhouse........You shoulda sent it back!

Used to get those thru Sysco and it was a pretty good lunch steak after using the jaccard. Really inexpensive and I sold out every day I did them.

I always wanted try a Wagyu steak some day. Was gonna using Wagyu semen on some beltie cows but don't have any experience.

Latest posts