Wagyu Ribeyes

Help Support CattleToday:

whitecow

Reaction score
We're about to taste test the latest harvest!
BX58_FB_Wagyu.jpg

The steer was 29 months old at harvest and weighed 1565. HCWT was 1027. He was backgrounded on grass after weaning until 15-16 months of age and then put in a paddock with about 20 other steers with free choice access to a high fiber ration from a self feeder. The ration is formulated to target intake of 20-25 lbs of feed per day and a gain of 2.0-2.2 lbs/day. While Wagyu cattle have a higher degree of marbling than most other breeds throughout their life, the extreme marbling that this steer demonstrated generally accrues from 24 to 30 months. Obviously, feeding fullblood Wagyu is different from mainstream feeding paradigms, but if you have a market for the end product it can be financially (and mouth wateringly) rewarding.

13 to 15 months on full feed will sure set you back a ways. Was he full blood Wagyu or a %

I was very impressed with the size(small) of the fat kernal in those steaks.

This steer was a fullblood. Feed costs aren't too bad. We mix our own. Right now it's about $180/ton (not including labor) or $60/hd/month.

whitecow":huyzy3dj said:
This steer was a fullblood. Feed costs aren't too bad. We mix our own. Right now it's about $180/ton (not including labor) or $60/hd/month.

Must be some pretty low quality feed to get that small gain on that huge amount of feed and at that extremely cheap price. I can't think of anything that goes into feed that you can buy for $180 a ton except rice hulls.

Very low quality feed. But it works. The mix we are feeding our Charolais bulls costs $305/ton right now and I wouldn't call it high quality.

Dont think it would work for me. A steer that only weighs 700 pounds at 15 months of age wouldnt be what I would be looking for.

Sorry that is just toooooo much fat, I can picture the grease left on the plate. Nothing appealing to me on that, I guess I am weird. Maybe a wagya crossed with a brahma might even them out a little.

Latest posts