using corral panel for gate

Help Support CattleToday:

warrington

Reaction score
I have some of the heavy duty 2" corral panels from TSC. I was wondering if anyone has ever welded 1" tube on the side to hang the corral panels as a gate. They are heavy duty and I thought that if I cut off the pin holder and welded the tube on that I could hang them and it should work. Just looking for a little input. Thanks.

I would be concerned that there may not be enough diagonal strength. I use panels for gates by just fastening one end to the post with a couple of chains and snaps and the other end with a single chain

I know that Prieferts has hing adapters that bolt on to their panels to make gates out of them. Not sure about the TSC panels, but you might check.

No I haven't.

I use tube steel and face it with wire cattle panel. Cheaper than store bought and much stronger. It is also wide enough to drive a tractor or pull a trailer through. The wire panel stitch welded on will give it the strength of gussets. Use old bed frame iron or scrap pipe for uprights along the gate.

Pipe and round stock/sucker rod make the best hinges you can get.

Put that gate up right and you are done for life. (Except painting it occasionally)

when you say tube steel, do you mean regular pipe. What size pipe do you use. Isnt that going to be heavy. When you use the sucker rod, how do you make the hinges

warrington":19t62y89 said:
when you say tube steel, do you mean regular pipe. What size pipe do you use. Isnt that going to be heavy. When you use the sucker rod, how do you make the hinges

LOL this is your thread so I won't be hi-jacking when I respond to your question :D

Pipe is measured by inside diameter (I.D.) until it gets up to 14 inches. The problem is there are many schedules of pipe now that change the inside diameter. The outside diameter is always the same because of threads or because of socket weld fitting size.

Tube (round and square) is measured by outside diameter (O.D.). Most everyone who refers to tube is talking square structural tube. Since refrigeration tube (round) is measured by O.D. too. Plumbing (water tube) goes into the I.D. mode and it confuses everyone who is not familiar with ASME standards.

You can get structural tube in various gauge thicknesses and it is not all that heavy. 14 gauge 1 1/2 inch square tube is sufficient for gates if it is properly gusseted. It is not heavy as you would think. The ends, top and bottom rails should be tube steel. You can place uprights within the frame made out of old scrap bed frame angle iron or even old 3/4 inch galvanized pipe etc.

Wire cattle panel is 52 inches tall. You should make your gate about an inch taller so that you can face it with the panel having a half inch above and below. Once you stitch weld that cattle panel to the gate about every foot or so, the gate will stay square and hold its position. IF you do not stiff back the gate, the heat on the one side you weld the panel to will bow the gate when the metal cools. For a 20 foot gate you'll get about an inch bow. I don't care on my own gates but some folks do. You can pre-stress it with about a 4 or 6 inch bow using C-clamps before you weld the panel on and it comes out about perfect.

I don't use wood posts but I hang gates occasionally for folks that do. When I build the hinges for wood posts, I generally weld 3/4 round stock to 3/4 all thread rod in a 90 degree angle. They can bore a hole through the wood posts and bolt the all thread with a through bolt concept. It is best to put nuts on both sides of the posts with washers so that the gate can be adjusted tight as the wood shrinks. For steel posts I just weld 90 degree round stock to the posts. You can use all thread the same way you do on wood if you'd like. When I use 4 inch square tube brace posts, I weld a 4 inch peice of pipe inside the post for a sleeve before I pour concrete in it. That keeps you from compressing the tube steel in the center when you tighten the gate hinge.

For the gate receivers I cut two pieces of pipe about 6 inches long. If the rod is 3/4, I use 3/4 pipe. If you can weld a 1/2 inch thick piece of flat bar on edge to the pipe and then to the gate, it lets the pipe set off of the gate a little.

I hardly ever use new wire cattle panel for gates. I use the damaged ones and straighten them out as I weld them to the face of the gate. If you go to the farm and ranch store, but the damaged panels for about half price if you are buying them for gates or fencing. They are easy to bend if you clamp them at the points you are going to weld.

The only gates I have ever had damaged is ones placed on roads that cars ran in to. I have built a few hundred. Some were for people who bought store bought gates that cattle crashed through. Some have been sleeved with pipe onto pipe posts for hinges. I don't use that on mine but it is stronger at the hinge point. They can never be adjustable tho if kids start swinging on your 20 foot gate and pull the posts. It takes a few kids to pull the post but 20 foot is a lot of leverage on the end of a gate. :D

I like 2 inch tube steel for my own gates. I hardly ever build a gate like this longer than 20 foot. My inset gates are 20 foot long and semi's can turn in and out with no problem. For through gates without a turn entry, 16 foot is way more than plenty.

dun":tpm1ijxw said:
I would be concerned that there may not be enough diagonal strength. I use panels for gates by just fastening one end to the post with a couple of chains and snaps and the other end with a single chain

We pretty much do the same thing...We have even had to use baling wire to fasten them to the posts. Ahh, that baling wire and the uses it has...... I call em my portable gates.

backhoeboogie - where are you located at in texas. Also where is the best place to find the tube steel for the gates. I am guessing that you just weld the corners at 90 degree angles and then apply the panel. Do you ever put flat plate in the corners to reinforce the weld. I imagine that you do not use any brackets for the corners.

warrington":2aymjf0i said:
backhoeboogie - where are you located at in texas. Also where is the best place to find the tube steel for the gates. I am guessing that you just weld the corners at 90 degree angles and then apply the panel. Do you ever put flat plate in the corners to reinforce the weld. I imagine that you do not use any brackets for the corners.

I am out west of Fort Worth with property and leased property in Hood and Somervell Counties.

If you weld a wire cattle panel to the face of a gate, you do not need any other type of gussets. You need upright members spaced 4 to 5 feet along the gate. These are to preclude compression only. Use any old scrap 3/4 or 1 inch pipe, bed frame iron etc. Tube steel is only for top, bottom and ends.

Mueller http://www.muellerinc.com/ has locations all over. Locally I like Mark's Spa, Granbury Metal out on FM 2580, and Henson's in Cresson.

I got this picture of a gate on my place. Thought you guys talking about all the nice welded gates might enjoy a laugh. This actually was one of the few gates standing when I bought this place... :roll: I still have a lot of work to do.

2917270412_cc8a7231f8.jpg

Latest posts