Corral Design

Help Support CattleToday:

Kaden

Reaction score
I am looking at building a corral over at a property we've been needing one for awhile. I am curious to what y'all think is the best low cost material to build with, other than wood. I'm thinking either panels with pipe at each connection, continuous panels, or pipe with cattle panels welded to them.

Thanks in advance.

In your working alley make it high enough so they won't attempt to jump, at least 6', with the bottom rail so they can't get their head underneath no higher than a foot off the ground.

We used the continuous panels. I did the 7 rail in my budbox and 6 rail in my working alley. I wish I had gone with the 7 rail for the working alley as well. I had to put up an extra pipe in my alley.

I am looking at building a corral over at a property we've been needing one for awhile. I am curious to what y'all think is the best low cost material to build with, other than wood. I'm thinking either panels with pipe at each connection, continuous panels, or pipe with cattle panels welded to them.

Thanks in advance.
I started my corral with treated poles ~7 to 7.5" diameter set every 5 feet. It was going to be an all wood corral but the prices for wood were astronomical. So I settled on 16' - super strong and resilient 1 AWG bull panels (panel is basically 6" welded squares spacing) and added a 2x6" PT board to the top. with 1ft off the ground and 4' high panel and board at top...makes for an almost 6' high corral. Overlapped panels on poles with galvanized "U" stapling onto poles made for easy work. Looks nice, super strong and turned out better than expected and will last longer than wood rails...and could hold an elephant better than wood.

Last edited:
There is basically two choices of material to build a corral. Wood or steel. You already said you don't want wood so that leaves steel. That comes in many forms. Pipe, guard rail, and panels. Myself I worry less about the material which is is made of and more about the design. I have been in corrals that flow real well and ones which are a struggle all because of the design. When I rebuilt my corral and couple years ago I spent a lot of time measuring and laying out the design. I did that several times before finally building it.

This would take some work but you might be able to get it cheap.

Would have to be dirt cheap unless it's better shape than the pictures show. All them extra horizontal run pieces of rebar are in there for a reason.

Would have to be dirt cheap unless it's better shape than the pictures show. All them extra horizontal run pieces of rebar are in there for a reason.
The only 2W I see is the alley with the bows overhead and they didn't photograph much of it. That part is worth a lot of money. Those connector posts are around $100 ea. if I'm not mistaken.
The rest of the home built panels shown look like junk to me.

Best laugh of the morning...thanks! I still could work with that...ahahaha At least i have something to weld too- no grinding off paint required.

..and yes...I would expect at salvage metal price +50% (I'm generous).

I wonder what that alley alone cost new?

Maybe there's more to it than what the pictures show...
We bought a WW squeeze chute, sweep tub, 10 panels and bow gate ( panels and bow gate are red iron with connections like those pictured) last year for just under $11k brand new, delivered and set up by the vendor. That was the price in late January 2021. I do know there were multiple price increases last year alone. The panels were $68/each; gate, $200. We've had a WW chute and sweep at our homeplace for approaching 30 years. After purchasing some property across road a couple of years ago, we used our stimulus money to go towards a set up for the new place.

At the their asking price of $10k for 21 panels, 12 gates, 4 walk through gates, etc., I didn't even ask to go look at it. It was a potential want, not a need.

I am currently building my 4th pen, its being built out of guardrail and drill stem. I have another pen that was on the place when I bought it , it's drill stem and cattle panels.
At home I have a pen built of drill stem and sucker rod, and another from drill stem and guardrail.
At my Coleman county place I set up a portable pen.

I am currently building my 4th pen, its being built out of guardrail and drill stem. I have another pen that was on the place when I bought it , it's drill stem and cattle panels.
At home I have a pen built of drill stem and sucker rod, and another from drill stem and guardrail.
At my Coleman county place I set up a portable pen.

Which type of pen do you like the best?

Thanks in advance.
You can get drill stem here a dollar a foot at the feed store. Makes a pretty good pen.
870FF048-2063-4E7B-85EA-D28479C6014A.jpeg

Latest posts