Upon 'getting old'

Help Support CattleToday:

Take it one day at a time....

funny-old-age-woke-up-this-morning-noirty-designs.jpg

All my grandparents were born in the 1870's and 80's. Both my parents were the youngest born 1914/15.
I know what GB is getting at, I am the youngest of seven only three left.
I recently went to HS reunion, after looking around I thought what happened to this bunch.
Those that weren't dead looked like they had a foot on a banana peel. I left feeling pretty good.
My parents were older when I was born, they were born in 1925, and. 1929. I was born in 1975. I was an only child and only one living in my immediate family. Hard to believe I'm not too far from 50. Wife just turned 40 a few days ago.

The age differences here are partially dependent on a couple of things besides when your grandparents were born. Which age your parents were/are in relation to their siblings. For instance, my grandparents were born in 1892 but my father was 1 of 7 children and their 1st born (1917) and he married young (age 19) so naturally his children (myself and my siblings) were/are older than any of my cousins (2 exceptions).

To be clear regarding my initial post. I give no real thought to and care little if the person called greybeard is remembered in the usual way. My work while on the physical world is what I have issues with. My deeds. Good and bad.
There are doers in this world and there are users of what the doers accomplish. I have tried hard all thru my life to be a doer, to make whatever little part of this ball of dirt I stood on at the time be better when I left it than it was when 1st stepped upon it or at minimum, be no worse off for my travelling thru it.

That Greater Judge tho, will decide my ever lasting fate.

I was blessed to have had grandparents on both side well into my 40s, and great grand mothers born in the 1890's. Now, they are gone and my parents and uncles are nearing 80. At family reunions, I'm starting feel a little like one of the elders of the family. There are so many kids, that I've lost track of which belongs to whom. It may seem that as we become older, we occupy the place of a fixture at family reunions, but to the younger generations— those that don't seem to pay attention— we are helm and the anchor of their ship.

Another observation about families and generations. Only in the US have I seen generations be labeled as The Great Generation, The Silent Generation, Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, Gen Z, and Alphas. I understand it, it makes no sense to me. Where I come from, there is only three rolling generations Grand parents, Parents, and Sons. Sometimes all three generations share one house hold as few of our elders end-up in the old folks home. And we don't kick the young out of the nest at 18 either, but usually until they get married, especially the daughters.

The nuclear family unit has been disastrous to the stability of society in America: Two working parents, kids in daycare, grandparents in the old folks home or in a different state. There is so much the old generations succinctly contribute to the new generations when they live and share amongst the young.

My parents were older when I was born, they were born in 1925, and. 1929. I was born in 1975. I was an only child and only one living in my immediate family. Hard to believe I'm not too far from 50. Wife just turned 40 a few days ago.
My parents were born the same years as yours. I was born in 1951. There is 4 of us the youngest born in '56. The wife and I have lost our parents. And she lost 2 brothers. One just older than her and one just younger. She doesn't have any aunts or uncles left alive. I have an aunt on Mom's side still with us (85ish) and an uncle on Dad's side (93). Out of 20 first cousins and the 4 of us I am the 4th oldest. We have lost 3 of the cousins. One at about 16 the other 2 didn't make 50.

Well, that means you're lucky to be so young.....normally you'd be about 65 with parents that age. Your parents did you a big favor by waiting.

@libertygarden you are so correct about how disastrous the modern ways of life have affected the stability of society.
Children spend more time with non family from such a young age in daycare and school. Families have very little time today to be a family unit. Other people have as much or more influence on children than their parents. You're right also in that most people now a days move around with work and don't live near the grandparents, children may only see them briefly a few times a year.
By the time children grow up to high school age, they think people older than them are old and out of touch and they hit young adulthood relying more on what their friends say than the advice their parents give them.

By the time children grow up to high school age, they think people older than them are old and out of touch and they hit young adulthood relying more on what their friends say than the advice their parents give them.
That could easily be said about me and my generation and probably others too. Saying in the late 60's was don't trust anyone over 30 years of age.

On average people believe old is 15 years older than their current age.
15 yr old thinks 30 is old and the 65 year old thinks 80 is old.

In 2020 33% of the world's population was under age 20 and 63% was under the age of 40.

Only 2% or 1 in 50 were older than 80.

Last edited:
Now I do feel old as I have kids older than you. I also have one your age.

I'm not old, though someday I'd like to be. I have known some phenomenal men (and women) who lived such fantastic lives and did so much and shared so much hard-earned knowledge with those that would listen. I'm sad to say that many of them are gone now, but in a way I don't think they ever really are. I still remember so much of what they said, what they did, what they taught, and what they did for those who came after them and I'm sure many others remember all of that as well. Maybe we're never really all the way gone at all. When I'm stressed out, my grandfather and others I've known sometimes show up in my dreams to give me advice. Could just be a trick of the brain, but if what was taught to you helps in your life, and you teach it to somebody else and they teach it to somebody else, I guess part of you can kind of go on forever. The area my main family is from they settled in sometime around the 1850s, they were ubiquitous within the area by the 1880s. The land acquired in their lives from then up through the first half of the 20th century still belongs to family in decent quantities. That's a hell of a thing if you think about it. Where I'm from, even the land that hasn't been in families for just about ever can often be cited back to who that family acquired it from and how and when right on the spot. I'm blabbering, yada yada, something about legacy. I don't know anyone from here in person that I know of, and I know the average age on here usually starts with a higher number, but I don't think anyone here with all of this knowledge of ag and life and the world will have any trouble leaving a footprint somebody else will notice going forward.

Another observation about families and generations. Only in the US have I seen generations be labeled as The Great Generation, The Silent Generation, Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, Gen Z, and Alphas. I understand it, it makes no sense to me. Where I come from, there is only three rolling generations Grand parents, Parents, and Sons. Sometimes all three generations share one house hold as few of our elders end-up in the old folks home. And we don't kick the young out of the nest at 18 either, but usually until they get married, especially the daughters.

The nuclear family unit has been disastrous to the stability of society in America: Two working parents, kids in daycare, grandparents in the old folks home or in a different state. There is so much the old generations succinctly contribute to the new generations when they live and share amongst the young.
I talk to former US military Expats almost daily in the P.I., S. Korea, Panama, and Japan and they and their indigenous wives all talk of the same generation designations we use here. Many haven't seen the US in 3-4 decades and likely never will again.

At Thanksgiving dinner this year looking around and noticed my aunt and uncle "both in there 90's" that me and my cousins were the new old ones. I was telling my cousin that I had a new blue lacy puppy. She asked what did you name him I said blue. She laughed and said after your first dog?
I told her yep, and will be my last dog😊

Latest posts