Getting old(er)

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr. TC is 14 years older than me; we've been together literally half my life. He still looks considerably younger than his actual age, but the past few years have been a real eye-opener, as he (we) deal with one health crisis after another. You don't realize you're getting older until the freight train hits you head-on. Well, that, and when the neighbor kid is suddenly married with a family of his own. Where did the time go?

I've finally figured it out.

Our free nerve endings mature at a much slower rate than our pea brains.

When I was a child, Mom made me wear a toboggan (warm stocking hat, whatever) when I went outside in the cold. I hated it and fuzzy ball on top. I'd get a new one every Christmas from great aunt Sook.

I tried to convince Mom that I didn't need to wear it, because my ears weren't cold.

My ears were indeed cold. I just didn't feel it then. At that age I'm guessing all my nerve endings ended up at the head of my pecker. Pretty sure that's why they're called endings.

Now, decades later, I'm searching for my Carhartt toboggan because my ears are about to freeze solid and fall off my head, and I haven't considered the condition of my pecker in quite some time. Poor thing.

It's similar to going pee. When I was a kid (guess I was noodling my crotch), Mom would tell me to stop what I was doing and go pee. It didn't bother me to hold it.

Nowadays, when I feel the pee pain, I'm looking from a spot to stop and pee. Mom is no longer needed.

So, I think our free nerve endings must have evolved so that as we get older, we realize that we aren't ten feet tall and bulletproof anymore.

They are speaking to us; Slow down in the shower, put yer dang hat on, drink your coffee slower, for heaven sake drive slower, when something hurts pay attention, and etc.

Getting older ain't for sissies, but it is entertaining if you can laugh at yourself and exchange witty remarks with your better half. Smile, BIG!
Priceless

It's similar to going pee. When I was a kid (guess I was noodling my crotch), Mom would tell me to stop what I was doing and go pee. It didn't bother me to hold it.
It took me a bit to find this picture. 5 or 6 yrs old then?
About to pee all over myself or just havin fun...

donronbattleship.jpg

Bet you miss your Great Aunt Sook...that fuzzy white ball on top made you look so cute with your rosey cold cheeks. You probably got a big kiss every time you walked inside to take off your boots. I can feel the love.
Yes, the kisses were awful. Sook and Granny Bennett dipped snuff. Their husbands had passed on decades before, so they lived together to make ends meet.
I'd mow their yard and a few other things around the house. Granny died a month short of 100yo, and Sook died a few weeks later. I was 13yo.

The house smelled like old people. They each had their rocking chairs, with a big copper colored spittoon between. They would always be doing something when a ball of yarn, or telling a yarn between spittoon dings.

We've cleaned and mothballed all the old quilts and dolls they made. Just sent my Air Force son a few that were special to me.

EDIT- Granny Bennett was my Great Granny. Sook was her sister. Does that make Sook my Great great Aunt?

I've had that finger pointed at me too. But when she was in good mood, usually when I said or didn't something "cute", she'd tell me I was a pill.

My granny dipped snuff too. Rooster on the jar. All our small drinking (juice) glasses were old snuff jars.
She's the one that hold her craggily old finger pointed right at me and say "I'll git your good eye, boy!"
Don't know what it meant, didn't want to find out either...
Probably meant that she was an expert marksman with snuff spit!

The thing I notice about a lot of older people is the filter between the brain and the mouth wears out, so they just speak their mind. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Boy, ain't that the truth!! Don't ask me if you don't want to hear my opinion.
I am 74 - and proud of it. Not afraid to admit my age. Still going strong. If I die tomorrow, I have no regrets - other than not having my husband/best friend around the past 9 years.
@Ouachita I don't really know you, but I sure like you!!

Latest posts