Totally New At This, Looking For Help Raising Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

DaveinMaryland":2fdrxp3d said:
No freaking way I'm investing in an ATV, it would take me 30 years of "free" beef to recoup that cost. But I did have a fear about just how I would recapture the steer. I envisioned myself looking like an idiot as I put a rope around a 500 pound cow and it refused to move.

There are never stray dogs in my area. Actually check that, mine is the only one that has gotten out. But that was when I trusted the invisible fence and before I put up an actual fence in the yard. I would use a hot wire for sure. I'd run 4 strands if I had to.

:lol2: :lol2: trust me when you get a rope around one you dont have to worry about it refusing to move it. as far as a atv i wouldnt just for 2 steers but you do have to have a way to get them in but if they are calm enough you could use a pickup. and poeple do get hurt every day on atv but honestly it is a common sence thing. every one ever wrecked was because something couldve done different mainly not running so fast.

So the idea is to tie a rope round the steer and then drive home in an ATV (or pickup) slowly while he walks behind? OK that's just weird is what that is.

The ATV is your horse for rounding them up.

Sometimes the milk cow gets a notion in her little head and won't come up. My husband uses the tractor to chase her into the barn.

DaveinMaryland":3nymzcjx said:
No freaking way I'm investing in an ATV, it would take me 30 years of "free" beef to recoup that cost. But I did have a fear about just how I would recapture the steer. I envisioned myself looking like an idiot as I put a rope around a 500 pound cow and it refused to move.

There are never stray dogs in my area. Actually check that, mine is the only one that has gotten out. But that was when I trusted the invisible fence and before I put up an actual fence in the yard. I would use a hot wire for sure. I'd run 4 strands if I had to.

I have to throw the :bs: flag on this maybe not today there is always tomorrow. If yours got out somebodyelse's can to as well as someone dumping one. It doesn't take five minutes a lighting stike can spook them to some stranger to them getting to close. I have a bull pen with 6,000 volts multiple strands inside of 6 strands of barbwire and they have tore out of that before as well. Point is if a cow want's out it's leaving, cows stay because they want to. Had mine bust out over a sheep the neighbor bought, they had never seen one before and it scared them to death. I don't know about Maryland but in Texas you don't call the dog catcher if your cows are out you pen them or the sheriff's department does it for you, this is something you don't want to happen. Now there is a record of you not maintaing controll of your animals and the liability laws just switched to the favor of the other side.

DaveinMaryland":3iwzhyr0 said:
So the idea is to tie a rope round the steer and then drive home in an ATV (or pickup) slowly while he walks behind? OK that's just weird is what that is.

:lol2: :lol2: here i thought we were talking cattle not a good saddle horse. cause if you have a good saddle horse you can put rope round his neck and lead him home havnt seen that quality in a cow yet. atv horse or pickup you would have to chase them in and a pickup wil amke it alot harder than if ya had a atv or horse. when i said you dont have to worry about them not moving once you get them roped i didnt mean them following you. :lol: just go ask a neighbor if ya can rope one of his yearling and when ya do you will see what i mean cause that there critter will move and i hope you like to be dragged or have a horn to tie that rope too. :cowboy:

I am about ready to call :bs: on this whole thread. I am starting to think we are being played!

3waycross":3pe6kzwo said:
I am about ready to call :bs: on this whole thread. I am starting to think we are being played!

i am just about to agree with you as well. specially with the rope the cow and it will walk behind the atv going home. i have met alot of poeple that never were around cattle but never did meat one that thought cattle were born halter broke and leash trained.

Lon":259pxip2 said:
3waycross":259pxip2 said:

i am just about to agree with you as well. specially with the rope the cow and it will walk behind the atv going home. i have met alot of poeple that never were around cattle but never did meat one that thought cattle were born halter broke and leash trained.
Those are the same calves that are born with an ear tag and castrated

Watch it pal, mine are born with an eartag. I have the pictures to prove it. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I think I will agree with you 3 way.

I have round up the weanlings in the tractor with the rake on the back. That was when I got out of the tractor to shut the gate and put the sail down on the rake and managed to put the sail down and get back in the tractor and start raking without shutting the gate.

I was lucky it was a rake and not something else. I was lucky it was the well plouged field and pretty flat and even. I had to put the tractor into the gear for going on roads. I have never used that gear as we don't have registered tractors.

I had to do that a few times to outrun them and that tractor has a horn, so had that going incessantly as well.

They ran past the gate a few times with the joy of being in there. Once I outran them a few times, they were getting tired and walked straight out the gate like little lambs.

3waycross":2ez0uhji said:
Watch it pal, mine are born with an eartag. I have the pictures to prove it. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

well now all i have to do is find ones born halter broke as bulls and buy cows from you then i should have it all figured out. maybe find myself a couple prime acres 10 max. after than ill put up a 2 wire fence hope for enough rain to grow the grass enough for 20 head and enough dry weather the ground dont get all tore up. than ill be in business. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

There are no stray dogs was the one that riped it, for that to be the case he would have to be living on the second or third floor of an apartment complex. There is not a community in the USA that doesn't have stray dogs and cats.
Hel there was an article a while back about the problems with coyotes in New York city.

If some of you really think that I've wasted all this time just playing with you then clearly it's time I move on. Most of you were very nice to answer my obvious naive questions. But I gotta be honest, to be called a liar and pretty much stupid for posting about how the cow gets returned kind of p*sses me off.

There are a number of dogs in my area but they are all fenced in because our road has cars traveling 40 MPH. Have never seen a stray in the 8+ years we've been here because any that came by would either be picked up or run over. If you don't want to believe me then frankly I don't really care.

Thanks to those who took me seriously and offered helpful advice.

dan hes really gonna be pissed come market time if hes bent over some stupid internet crap..go figure it out like we all did..off the internet and on yer feet git busy boy

dieselbeef":2frycb5i said:
dan hes really gonna be be nice come market time if hes bent over some stupid internet crap..go figure it out like we all did..off the internet and on yer feet git busy boy
I know the internet is annonymous and all but I never much cared for being called a liar regardless of the venue. But maybe that's just me.

people play games on here all the time..its the internet...

dont take it personal..geez man...i can say anything to anyone online and not alot they can do about it...let it slide and get to work son!

I'm not niave enough to not believe that some people do that stuff. But I don't have the time to play those stupid games. If anyone thinks that I went to the trouble of registering, waiting for the approval of my application and my first few posts, and then spent a few weeks discussing all of this just so I could jerk some stranger's chain well then I feel badly for them. One look at all the helpful info shared here shows me what boards like this are supposed to be about.

DaveinMaryland":2h2b8tq1 said:
But I don't have the time to play those stupid games.

Some of us also don't have the time, some do, some don't care.

Dave we don't have screening criteria in this forum. If so I may have never got in myself. :D

Macon gives the boot to some. Some come back as someone else with a new name and email address. Some come back and back and back. Over and over.

Get some thick skin and let it slide off. There's a lot of good folks here.

I go with six strands of wire on perimeter fences. The top wire is usually 52 inches. It is good wire and stretched about as tight as I can get it.

Bulls get to fighting across fences and there's nothing going to stop it at times. Hot wires can help but they are not fool proof as you can see by the posts. Idiots can leave gates open. You're concerned about a couple of steers. I've had to round up hundreds that ran in all directions. Best way to get a cow home is to lead her with a bucket of feed. Steers on feed will follow you anywhere including right up into a trailer.

I wish you the best of luck.

DaveinMaryland":37v2blsi said:
I'm not niave enough to not believe that some people do that stuff. But I don't have the time to play those stupid games. If anyone thinks that I went to the trouble of registering, waiting for the approval of my application and my first few posts, and then spent a few weeks discussing all of this just so I could jerk some stranger's chain well then I feel badly for them. One look at all the helpful info shared here shows me what boards like this are supposed to be about.

Looks to me like you have a choice. Take one set of advice like 3way and others have said and take the time and effort to get your facilities in place and maybe find a mentor and maybe in 6-12 months buy a couple of calves, or just go ahead and buy them now, cobble together a halfhearted effort and fail/succeed. Or you could do nothing but just stay here and whine some more.

Personally I hope you take the first course of action and succeed. Looks like the ball is in your court.

Latest posts