Totally New At This, Looking For Help Raising Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm brand new here and to be honest brand new to the entire concept of raising cattle. I'm a bit limited as the available pasture I have is no more than 2 acres that is cleared or is not yard. Here is what I know and then I need help with a few things.

I'm planning on raising a cow or 2 for personal consumption. I understand that one single cow does not do well, so I'll need to get 2. In MD I understand that 2 acres will not produce enough feed so I will need to supplement my pasture with hay. No problem. My plan is to buy them in the spring, raise them until the grass stops growing, then sell one and butcher the other to fill the freezer.

Now here are my questions. The field is fenced but it was only fenced with the idea of keeping in 2 dogs. It is the cheap roll out with the lightest 5 ft metal posts Home Depot provides. Now obviously that is not strong enough to keep in a cow. But most of the fence line is at the edge of woods. It's my understanding that cows tend to knock over fencing as they lean over for food. Does that mean the sections in the woods won't be pushed on as hard? Can a strand or 2 of barbed wire strung along the top of the fencing be enough to keep in the cows or will wood fence posts be require? At the top of the field a 3-4 foot picket fence that divides the field with the yard. Is that enough with the barbed wire on top to keep them in?

Any idea how much a calf costs? How much freezer capacity should I need for 1/2 of the cow? Cost to butcher? And finally if I have the neighbor fill the water trough every day or so is it a big deal to head to the beach for a week or do cows require you to kind of stick around? Another concern is that we have rasberry bushes as well as young, small (8-9 feet tall) fruit trees. Will the cattle stomp all over that stuff?

Sorry for the long post but as you can see I"ve got a ton of questions.

Thanks in advance.

Yes they will test all the fences
No the fence on the woodline isn't safer..woods taste good too
Put a hotwire up
Don't leave for a week unless you really trust your fence, and your neighbor, and even then think twice
Your timeframe from purchase to butcher seems short unless you are buying 800-900 lb'ers
400 lb calves here are 400+, and it costs 1.00/day on top of that to carry them, more at finishing time
Yes the cows will tromp and eat everything you don't want them to, and cost to butcher is .35-.50/lb based on hanging weight. Depends on where you are and the butcher

Hooknline gave you really good solid answers. Now I am gonna give you some really good advice. Look around you area till you find several folks doing what you are doing. Bug them to death for advice and look at their facilities as much as possible. It is a daunting undertaking even if you just do a half assed job. If you do it right it will require a very steep learning curve and a lot of hard work.

............one last thing.DO NOT BUY ANY COWS UNTIL YOU DO WHAT I JUST TOLD YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That really means to be on solid ground at least a year.

There are a lot of good smart people here to help you along. Don't be afraid to ask questions

You have some good questions and thoughts... ;-)

First and foremost is to SECURE your pasture area. That is, substantial fence with one or more good gates. "Tame" cattle can usually be kept in a 4 or 5 barb wire fence minimum 4 ft high; however, if they get hungry or thirsty, they will breach the fence. The fence needs to be tight. Good corner braces. Use good T-Posts, not the cheapo discount store type. Barb wire in 12.5 guage. Electric fence is a back-up, should not be primary fence IMO...they are good to divide pastures on the interior. However, cattle need to be conditioned to the fence and learn not to breach it.

Water tank to hold enough H20 for 3-4 days minimum (unless you can top it off every day). A 1,000 lb "animal unit" will drink between 15 and 25 gal a day, depending on temperature, wind factors. An animal needs 2 to 3% of animal weight in hay/forage per day, plus minerals, salt. That said, a 1,000 lb animal will need 20 to 30 lbs of roughage per day to stay in condition. If you supplement with bagged feed, adjust your hay/forage as needed, depending on stage of cattle growth, etc.

When slaughtering, figure 35% to 55% of live weight will end up in "packaged" meat for consumption.

Don't forget vaccinations, de-worming protocols.

Don't depend 100% on friends, neighbors to look after your cattle. Don't forget that any livestock can find out a way to get loose, out of pasture, tangled up in something, or hurt. If you're gone away, neighbor doesn't notice or solve problem, animal could die or escape by time you return. You don't want to be a defendent in a lawsuit if your animal gets out, hits a vehicle, and someone is injured or killed (or their BMW damaged...lol).

Hope the above info helps... :)

I'm rather skeptical of the idea of raising two big cows on just 2 acres. You're talking about half-ton animals, remember. I'd hate to think what that place will look like after the first time it gets muddy.

How are you going to handle them for shots, pour-ons, etc.? Pens? You going to build shelters for bad weather? Storage for the feed? 20 gallons of water a day?

Basically they're just going to live on the hay and cubes you buy and feed them. There won't be any grass in there after they've tromped all over it for a few days. Heaven knows what that place will look like after a good rain.

I don't know, I'm sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see this working. You might consider the option of buying an animal or two on a working ranch. You would be the legal owner, but let them raise it, and you pay the costs, come out and visit it, etc.

A couple thoughts to add to the above.

You can use electric wire on 5" standoffs on the inside of your existing fence to keep them off of it.

I like woods as shelter for animals in the summer heat and winter. Is there any way you could fence through part of the woods to give them shelter?

I think you will at least need an area where you can get the two of them down to single file and the vet can access with his squeeze chute if needed.

It is absolutely essential that you get calm cattle for an operation like you are planning. Find a good local cattle man and buy a couple yearling steers from him. Tame ones that have had their shots and hopefully are trained to electric fence. Do not buy your first two steers from the sale barn.

The closer your local source the better as this person can help you get started, sell you some healthy, appropriate cattle and be there to answer questions.

Also read a good cattle book or two or three. I like this one for beginners like us:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1931993688/?tag=cattletoday00-20

Best 10 bucks you will spend. Assumes we know nothing. Good info on handling cattle.

As suggested above, get your whole plan figured out before you ever bring any cattle on your place.

Good luck. Jim

Yes, your plan may not make sense in some ways, but it makes alot more sense than the thousands of people who have horses on a quarter acre and never ride them. At least if you have to feed hay, it's going to something more useful.

Yes, cattle do better in pairs. I'd look for some smaller cattle like lowline angus or something - can get two for the size of one regular cow/steer. And smaller cattle don't tear up the ground as much to make mud. And they fit in the freezer better than standard size cattle.

Millions of cattle are fed in a mudhole every year - they're called feedlots and dairies. It's not a crime to have one yourself. Start by building a solid round pen/corral and get a few steers to throw in there and start feeding hay (in a feeder so it's clean) and give them treats so you can attract them if needed. Then work on the pasture and fence. When it's ready, let them out a little at a time - don't let them eat the grass too short or it won't grow.

On one end of your pen, you might want a three sided shed, elevated for drainage, so they have a dry place to lay. Have the open side away from the direction the prevailing wind comes from. Think drainage - low spots will become mudholes certain times of year.

Get to it!

Wow thanks so much for the quick help. Looks like my plan is full of holes from the start. I've put a lot of work into developing my "orchard" and am now literally just starting to see the fruits of my labor. I'm not crazy about having them trampled. Obviously my fencing is not even close to secure and that will take a lot of work. Even though my neighbor feeds our dogs and cats (I cut their grass as a trade off) with an autistic 5 year old and one on the way I can not plan on her keeping up with the cattle. Finally I love sitting on a swing and looking out over our field to the big hill on the other side. Not sure I want it to turn into a mosh pit.

I'm kind of bummed, I think this would be a fun hobby. But with all the other stuff to take care of maybe I need to punt on this idea. I thought I could pull it off with only one cow, learning I needed 2 and not having the available land was a deal breaker. And God forbid if one of the cows die, WTF am I going to do with a 600 pound cow in my field?

By the way I did talk to some locals. They said spring to the end of fall is enough time to raise a cow and because of the time line I wouldn't need to build a shelter. That had me encouraged, now I guess I'm headed to Safeway.

Thanks again.

Don't punt. You can have fun at this and you can make money.
With what you have, after you get all set, my recommendation is that you invest in quality lowline cattle. They tend to do better on small acreage. But whatever you decide, invest in quality! Do not head down the path of buying a cheap calf or two just because they are cheap, trust me, there is a reason they are cheap! Your set up needs quality cattle!

I live in Central Maryland, Mount Airy specifically, at the edge of Appalachia. We don't live in the mountains but you can see them. Our house is on kind of a ridge with the field sloped so you can sled down it, barely, but not too steep to have animals. No problem buying quality but the other issues I have mentioned are pretty much deal breakers. Unless someone can convince me that I can have just one cow, a friend told me this morning that his friend let the 4 H kids raise one cow on his property and it worked out well, then I can't see continuing.

tmlonghorns":2ombkjqy said:
Don't punt. You can have fun at this and you can make money.
With what you have, after you get all set, my recommendation is that you invest in quality lowline cattle. They tend to do better on small acreage. But whatever you decide, invest in quality! Do not head down the path of buying a cheap calf or two just because they are cheap, trust me, there is a reason they are cheap! Your set up needs quality cattle!

I agree no need to get discouraged here, we started out the first year on less than two acres with two steers(5-6WT) bought in the late spring from a local guy out of the paper. Our fences were 5' woven wire with t posts. The best thing we bought was an electric fence set up, the local farm store helped me get it set up, run it about 4' off the ground, they make all the equipment for your set up. In the last six years of doing this process we have only had one fence jumper and that is because I was trying to push them into another section of pasture. We do not have any squeeze set up for doctoring but do have a lean to for them to get in the shade and eat and are able to pen them up, also used for killing time. The only medication I give them is a fly and de-licer if needed. I usually apply this thru a applicator gun when they come in to get some hay or grain in the lean to, just get them use to coming in and getting a treat and shoot some Cylence onto their back. Last year we had one get some wire wrapped around its hoof and so I penned them up and ropped it and tied it off to one of the lean to posts, walked behind real slow got the tail up and had a helper cut the wire off. That's been the worst of it. Most of the time we buy steers in the spring(just got this years batch last Saturday) run them into the lean to for about 4-5 weeks feeding hay in the bunk feeder. Then when the ground dries up turn them out. One thing I do on this little acreage is right before I turn them out I will walk the premier while they watch me, lets them know the boundaries. We usually don't feed them until the pasture dries up then we bring in local hay, its usually reasonable, we will supplemental feed as needed never in the mornings only at nights. Then we butcher in mid October Keep a quarter and sell the rest. We now run 4 steers(p. Herefords) and have since made a agreement with a next door neighbor to trade land for discounted beef. There is nothing better than the arrival of this years crop and I am so happy to get rid of them come October if you know what I mean. They have eaten my shade trees, apple trees, pushed thru fences, balled at 5:30 in the AM when I use to feed them twice a day but that's about the worst of it. I tried those lo-line Angus and they were alright, nothing to get excited about they can get through a fence just as easy as any other breed, plus you tend to get more meat on the standard breeds. We have had blacks and reds and prefer the reds so far for look and for our set up. It really is fun playing the pricing game, finding customers and gets the kids interested in farming even if its on a small scale, my son(3) goes with me now to get our calves each year and he really likes playing cowboy for a day. We are fortunate to have a friend with a nice stock trailer and 1 ton diesel for getting our calves each year either at the local auction or get a good relationship with a producer and have him cut you 2 out each year for cash. Don't give up on your thoughts just remember Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance and enjoy your own product, that's the American way in my view. Also just saw some beef being recalled in the news, I don't want to feed my family someone's problem.... :2cents:

Ruark":3g7pxlnu said:
I'm rather skeptical of the idea of raising two big cows on just 2 acres. You're talking about half-ton animals, remember. I'd hate to think what that place will look like after the first time it gets muddy.

How are you going to handle them for shots, pour-ons, etc.? Pens? You going to build shelters for bad weather? Storage for the feed? 20 gallons of water a day?

Basically they're just going to live on the hay and cubes you buy and feed them. There won't be any grass in there after they've tromped all over it for a few days. Heaven knows what that place will look like after a good rain.

I don't know, I'm sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see this working. You might consider the option of buying an animal or two on a working ranch. You would be the legal owner, but let them raise it, and you pay the costs, come out and visit it, etc.

i totally agree with above! also, it takes 16 cubic feet of freezer space for one beef.

Ruark":2s0r9qsw said:

Not just that after purchasing the two bovine along with fencing, meds, feed, vet, etc, you could buy a lot of ribeyes or t-bones. Then you would have money to go chasing a little white ball on wasted cow pasture.

Why not just get a steer, feed him out and fill the freezer. Better steak than you can buy at any store. Cheaper than buying it there too. You're not eating burger from 600 different cows either.

Dave,
I'm in Millers near Manchester and have a business on main street in Westminster.
I had just one, bought a 510 lb bull from the Westminster livestock auction. He was a black white face.

Put him in an area behind the barn that was less than an acre at first, and my friend came over to band him.
We butchered him i have a 1/4 in the freezer and sold the other 3/4 beef.
Now i have two bull calves two momma cows and a yearling steer.
He was fine being alone, he just wanted to play to much till he became a steer.
My neighbor has a huge black steer, all alone and no problems, hes real mellow.
I say go for it.

You don't seem to have picked up on people saying lowline, so if you put in the word miniture would that help? Here you can get banded galloways. Very small and also pretty as they are black with white bands. Or Dexters who are also small and can be black or red, and as said above you can have more to a property than big cattle and the whole beast fits in a freezer.

Other than that do you have sheep or goats or something else over there that is smaller?

To me the lowlines or dexters are a waste. The only people carrying them here are just looking for the ag exemption. There isn't any reason the op can't carry a single mid framed steer. That's how I started, with one single black angus heiffer for the freezer. Main thing is to make sure it has good temperment, isn't straight from weaning. Other than that the biggest issue I see is fencing and the plants they don't want ate down that the cow might eat. But that's easy enough to fix. Fence the place right and run some field fence in a circle around the plants so the animal can't reach it. Ez enuf.

Latest posts