Too early to spray?

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I'm renting a 500 spray rig from the co-op locally. I've becer sprayed this early but with these warm temps I've got buttercups and a few other random weeds popping up pretty early here. Would I regret spraying in the next couple days? I've got some buttercups already come to bloom so I know the others are only a week or two behind. Location is north Alabama

I'm wanting to spray some, its the wet weather thats holding me up, or id have already sprayed.

If you don't have a bunch of clover to worry about, go ahead but use a product that has a soil residual such as Grazon. Otherwise you will be needing to spray again in just a few weeks.

bird dog":2fvv7nt8 said:
If you don't have a bunch of clover to worry about, go ahead but use a product that has a soil residual such as Grazon. Otherwise you will be needing to spray again in just a few weeks.
Yup, but it isn;t too early to spray if you have stuff that is actively growing.

I do have clover and am going to use 24db to avoid killing the clover. I only want to spray one time though because I'm renting the sprayer. Maybe it's best to give it a couple more weeks

I should clarify, I don't have Crimson clover or white clover. I have what I call common clover, it's everywhere around here. I don't know if that makes a hill of beans or not relative to spraying?

If you don;t use something with a residual (BTW 2-4,d will kill clover just like Grazon) you will still have to respray. Weeds all sprout at various times through out the year. They don;t all sprout at the beginning of spring.

Fun, the 24d-b is supposed to be safe on clover, is it not? Everything I've read indicates it is safe to use on it.

dun":247ik9la said:
If you don;t use something with a residual (BTW 2-4,d will kill clover just like Grazon) you will still have to respray. Weeds all sprout at various times through out the year. They don;t all sprout at the beginning of spring.

It may not completely kill it but depending on the application rate it can sure set it way back. There is some herbicide that is clover safe but I don;t recall what it is. I have a jug of it around somewhere but have never used it.

I read last week that 24D probably won't kill clover at regular doses but will at about double doses. I'm planning on planting clover in the fall and did a test spray on my yard clover to see what it does to it. Guess I'll see in a few weeks.
I sprayed an acre for low weeds with 15 gallons of 24D last week to see how it does although probably a little early.
Spraying is recommend at growing stages but did a test anyway.

Might be an old wive's tale but some have said in the past that they got better response using 24D when the air temp was over 70 degrees. Maybe the plants were more active in growth? Don't know. I did read in a mag this week that some class of herbicides work better in the middle of the day and they are researching why. They expect it is linked to plant activity and chlorophyll levels or production.

jallen":253gc657 said:
Fun, the 24d-b is supposed to be safe on clover, is it not? Everything I've read indicates it is safe to use on it.

dun":253gc657 said:
2-4D-B is clover proof. I have used it and it did not faze the clover at all. Problem was, it did not faze the weeds much either.

I am spraying the butter cups now. I an using Grazon P & D. Remember that we have cool season weeds and warm season weeds just like with grasses. I have typically had to spray twice to initially get both types of weeds under control.

I've used grazon every year so far and it doesn't seem to bother my clover but I'm not wanting to keep pushing my luck with it. However if the 24d-b isint effective overall then I don't want to go that route either. Now I'm stumped again

jallen":1w0fwz3j said:
I've used grazon every year so far and it doesn't seem to bother my clover but I'm not wanting to keep pushing my luck with it. However if the 24d-b isint effective overall then I don't want to go that route either. Now I'm stumped again
I've used Grazon P+D for years. Some years it seems to hammer the clover, others just set it back a bit. The catch the P+D is that too many years of use in the same field and it seems like the residual stays too long, well past the 6 months or so you would expect.

I have decent clover every year using grazon. I can't say it's not hurting it after I spray but it seems to always come back fine. Guess grazon is my best bet for the residual effect. I'm trying to figure how much I need. Anyone got a way for me to calculate how much I need for 22 acres?

jallen":29dov38i said:
I have decent clover every year using grazon. I can't say it's not hurting it after I spray but it seems to always come back fine. Guess grazon is my best bet for the residual effect. I'm trying to figure how much I need. Anyone got a way for me to calculate how much I need for 22 acres?

How much have you been using?

I've been having the co-op spray it for me. It looks like it's not a whole lot more to let them do it honestly. They'd telling me I would have to buy almost $200 worth for my average plus the rental of the sprayer. My time is worth more than that if their numbers are correct?

jallen":1f8vi51u said:
I've been having the co-op spray it for me. It looks like it's not a whole lot more to let them do it honestly. They'd telling me I would have to buy almost $200 worth for my average plus the rental of the sprayer. My time is worth more than that if their numbers are correct?

Yes sir that is about right...2 to 4 pints per acre recommended. If you used the lower end of 2 pints per acre (1qt per acre) then you would need 22 quarts / by 4 qts per gal = 5.5 gal of Grazon. I am not sure if it come in 1 gallon jugs or not because I only buy the 2.5 gal jugs which cost around $90.00 a jug. You would need at least 2 of these 2.5 gal jugs and some surfactant so the $200.00+ would be about right.

Rajela":2nuy3euy said:
jallen":2nuy3euy said:

Yes sir that is about right...2 to 4 pints per acre recommended. If you used the lower end of 2 pints per acre (1qt per acre) then you would need 22 quarts / by 4 qts per gal = 5.5 gal of Grazon. I am not sure if it come in 1 gallon jugs or not because I only buy the 2.5 gal jugs which cost around $90.00 a jug. You would need at least 2 of these 2.5 gal jugs and some surfactant so the $200.00+ would be about right.
It comes in 1, 2.5 and 30 gallon containers. Maybe bigger than 30 but that's the biggest I've bought.

I use Grazonext high load at roughly 1%. This early in the year you can get by with a less potent mixture. In a 335 gallon sprayer I put 3 gallons of Grazonext HL, 3 quarts of surfactant. Put it out at 15 gallons of mix per acre. Covers 20- 22 acres depending on how rough the pasture is. I only have time to spray once and Grazonnext has worked best for me.

Edit -- The graxonnext HL comes in 2 gallon jugs.

Latest posts