Best Spray Mix

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
I have 600 acres of pasture land in Stigler, OK to spray of which 170 acres has been approved by the local NRCS office for brush management. They will cover the cost of Remedy Ultra but not the 2-4-D for the cleaner pastures. In these 170 acres there are some small cedars (1-2 ft high), wild blackberry and wild rose. I have a Spra Coupe sprayer with 200 gallon tank and 60 ft booms with 8002 spray nozzles. The NRCS folks are recommending 1 to 2 pints per acre of Remedy. After spending some time reading through old threads, it looks like not many people are very happy with a Remedy mixture alone. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Looking for something cheap as possible but still effective. I'm planning on using 2-4-D on the cleaner pastures. Thanks in advance!

It ain't cheap but I would add Surmount for the brush. On clean pasture I like one of the DiCamba 2 4 D mixes. I use Brash. Reasonably priced and works well. Be careful if you have cotton close by. Use a good surfactant with them.
You need to get started pretty quick. Prime time is right now. Do the pastures first. Brush seems easier to kill when its hot and dry while weeds kill better when they are growing vigorously.

Does anybody out west use Crossbow? It's the go to for brush around here.
Crossbow is basically 24-D Ester and Triclopyr (which is the same ingredient in Remedy). @jltrent, if I recall correctly, swears by a gallon of 24-D and a gallon of Remedy per 100 gallons of water.

Last edited:
Crossbow is basically 24-D Ester and Tripclopyr (which is the same ingredient in Remedy). @jltrent, if I recall correctly, swears by a gallon of 24-D and a gallon of Remedy per 100 gallons of water.
Ok didn't know what remedy was. We use crossbow at 1 1/2 to 2% mixture so about the same. It works great.

Crossbow is basically 24-D Ester and Triclopyr (which is the same ingredient in Remedy). @jltrent, if I recall correctly, swears by a gallon of 24-D and a gallon of Remedy per 100 gallons of water.
If you use the Ester be very sure you don't have anything close by that you don't want killed. It is very volatile. Don't ask how I know this.

I have 600 acres of pasture land in Stigler, OK to spray of which 170 acres has been approved by the local NRCS office for brush management. They will cover the cost of Remedy Ultra but not the 2-4-D for the cleaner pastures. In these 170 acres there are some small cedars (1-2 ft high), wild blackberry and wild rose. I have a Spra Coupe sprayer with 200 gallon tank and 60 ft booms with 8002 spray nozzles. The NRCS folks are recommending 1 to 2 pints per acre of Remedy. After spending some time reading through old threads, it looks like not many people are very happy with a Remedy mixture alone. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Looking for something cheap as possible but still effective. I'm planning on using 2-4-D on the cleaner pastures. Thanks in advance!
I certainly wouldn't expect 2 pint's of remedy to control cedar.
Grazon p+d or tordon (picolarm) is what I would want for cedar.

For what it is worth, 24 D ester (e.g., Low Vol 6) can be so volatile that it can, on hot days with just a little wind, end up hitting fields hundreds of yards away. You might consider using In Place if you have any concerns about crops anywhere around you. It is designed to minimize drift, and we always use it when we spray 24 D methylester.

A match will get rid of the cedars no bigger then they are if you can plan a burn sometime in the next couple of years.