Best Guesstimate

Help Support CattleToday:

ClodHopper37869

Reaction score
Had a neighbor call me and ask how much diesel fuel I thought did it take to make a 4 x 5 roll, from spreading fertilizer, spraying, mowing, teddering. raking, rolling, loading, but not hauling.
My answer was " in these hills & small irregular fields, probity close to a gallon, if not a little over.

Just wonderin what y'll think or know...

Had a neighbor call me and ask how much diesel fuel I thought did it take to make a 4 x 5 roll, from spreading fertilizer, spraying, mowing, teddering. raking, rolling, loading, but not hauling.
My answer was " in these hills & small irregular fields, probity close to a gallon, if not a little over.

Just wonderin what y'll think or know...
To many variables , yield being biggest.
Is thousand dollar fertilizer a good investment to get a couple extra rolls per acre while burning 6.00 diesel... 🤔

Interesting question. I think we will all be questioning whenever we jump onto the seat of a vehicle, is it absolutely necessary? I think I'll be giving my poor old feet a bit more of a workout when I take the dogs for a gallop each day.

Ken

Interesting question. I think we will all be questioning whenever we jump onto the seat of a vehicle, is it absolutely necessary? I think I'll be giving my poor old feet a bit more of a workout when I take the dogs for a gallop each day.

Ken
I am thinking of buying a mule!
A real life riding mule.
I have actually watched mules pull sickle bar cutters.

I think after the first trip around the field we would all be willing to pay the going price for diesel
I always remember what dad would say.
He was working the woods cutting saw logs for his grandpa's mill. They were being used by his uncle an oilfield contractor to build derricks in the early 1900's.

He said son the mule farts smell the same whether you're hauling saw logs or sawed lumber The work is easier with the lumber.

Tractor size makes a big difference on diesel burn. Our cutting and bailing tractor has a computer that tracts the Gallons used per hour. We know that when bailing and cutting we burn about 5 gallons per hour. We can cut about 7 acres per hour. Like stated above yield per acre makes a big difference on diesel that goes into a bale of hay. We try and break down costs per bale real close to what it actually is. And my conclusion is we need to continue to put in more pasture and cut less hay. We made 300 less bales this year and I bet we have a couple hundred left over compared to last year. We grazed most of our herds into January minus some snow days. We should get to our goal of feeding around 65 days next year.

Tractor size makes a big difference on diesel burn. Our cutting and bailing tractor has a computer that tracts the Gallons used per hour. We know that when bailing and cutting we burn about 5 gallons per hour. We can cut about 7 acres per hour. Like stated above yield per acre makes a big difference on diesel that goes into a bale of hay. We try and break down costs per bale real close to what it actually is. And my conclusion is we need to continue to put in more pasture and cut less hay. We made 300 less bales this year and I bet we have a couple hundred left over compared to last year. We grazed most of our herds into January minus some snow days. We should get to our goal of feeding around 65 days next year.
Size matters rpms even more what rpms are you having to turn to get 540.
Lots of difference in 1800 or 2400 on consumption.

Latest posts