Pulling 7 inch driven wood posts? Best way

Help Support CattleToday:

LOL, I am not sure I want to film but will give it a go. I dont own a excavator but do own a mid size skidsteer. No concrete or boards attached to the posts. But its spring time in ohio so the ground is wet and am betting that is creating a suction on the posts. I thought about driving a rod close to the posts to have a relief air way braking the seal but dont know if Il do that. Actually thought that would be a suggestion from someone on here.
I did get 1 post out and used a 3 ton floor jack straight over top of the post. and it bent the jack. I did hear the suction when jacking it up. So well see probably this weekend if it doesnt rain

I have removed a good bit of old fence from here some of which were telephone poles and some were the really big ones they use in powerline cuts (18" or so diameter?). I have never had any issue just taking the tractor loader and pushing the post or pole a little bit (don't need to run it completely over) and then wrapping a chain around and pulling them out. We have nothing but clay here in SE Ohio. It's a bit perplexing that you are bending and breaking things trying to remove posts.

LOL, I am not sure I want to film but will give it a go. I dont own a excavator but do own a mid size skidsteer. No concrete or boards attached to the posts. But its spring time in ohio so the ground is wet and am betting that is creating a suction on the posts. I thought about driving a rod close to the posts to have a relief air way braking the seal but dont know if Il do that. Actually thought that would be a suggestion from someone on here.
I did get 1 post out and used a 3 ton floor jack straight over top of the post. and it bent the jack. I did hear the suction when jacking it up. So well see probably this weekend if it doesnt rain
Question > Are you wanting the posts out because they interfere with a new fence or just for looks? If it is the latter then your situation
changes from need to want. A good post of the size indicated would have a 20-25 $ value. (at least for your own use)_
How many there are and where they're at should be the indicator of methodology required. You'll figure it out I'm sure.

As a kid helped at the county fairgrounds pull post (most were old telephone poles cut down) 2 weeks before fair. They fenced in a lot of the grounds and grazed it, we are a free fair so all posts and fence removed for fair week then put back up. I was the chain kid, old timer using a Cockshutt tractor would pull up and "bump" the post with the front of the rear tire. I chained the chain to the bottom of the post, up the middle of the tire and around tire and rim (not where the valve stem is!) hook chain and he would back up. Some deep posts required rehooking one more time. Pay attention to the post and don't let the top of it swing and hit the tractor driver.

Question > Are you wanting the posts out because they interfere with a new fence or just for looks? If it is the latter then your situation
changes from need to want. A good post of the size indicated would have a 20-25 $ value. (at least for your own use)_
How many there are and where they're at should be the indicator of methodology required. You'll figure it out I'm sure.
I'm hoping he's pulling them up so he can build a proper fence out of steel.
Probably not though 🙁
Everyone has anecdotal stories including me. I can remember renting a skytrack once to pull some chain link post that we're in 5' deep 18" piers. DFW airport.
One thing for sure none of us are there.
It does seem like you would be breaking 7" wood post before tearing up machines. If they absolutely have to come up like a property corner. Run your auger down beside them in both sides and try. As far as cosmetics cutting post off just below grade makes less mess than pulling them up.......wait a minute... your pulling them up planning to reuse the holes.. 💡

As a kid helped at the county fairgrounds pull post (most were old telephone poles cut down) 2 weeks before fair. They fenced in a lot of the grounds and grazed it, we are a free fair so all posts and fence removed for fair week then put back up. I was the chain kid, old timer using a Cockshutt tractor would pull up and "bump" the post with the front of the rear tire. I chained the chain to the bottom of the post, up the middle of the tire and around tire and rim (not where the valve stem is!) hook chain and he would back up. Some deep posts required rehooking one more time. Pay attention to the post and don't let the top of it swing and hit the tractor driver.
That's how I pull posts. Put a little up pressure with a chain along with a bump and pull motion. Like you said, have people stand back when they come out.

So I messed with another post today, I got it out with some new methods. Yes I move the post in diff directions this time with the loader. This time I got a bit more aggressive with it. Didnt stop with first crack of the post but stopped on the 3rd.
The reason I am pulling the post is because replacing old Fence I put in, incorrectly. Priced out steel post would love to go in that direction but cost is to high. and we have no steel pipe/used field oil pipe in my area. So CallmeFence your correct. AS far as the auger great idea, thought of it dont have an auger any more. could rent one but went another direction.
I am thinking I just need to get a bit more aggressive wiggling the post if you will.

Ive got another question for this group but will start another thread, any how, I can tell you Ive learned a few things too or maybe observed a few. First is it is one hell of alot harder to pull post out of my ground when it is wet even when wiggling aggressively the post. I did 3 in a row on dryer end of field after wiggling with the skid steer and they pulled right out. In middle of field a bit wetter, I wiggled a few so aggressive i broken them and the still would not pull out with the ss. I used 2 bottle jacks at 12 ton a piece to pull them out. takes a bit longer. but I think that the suction of wet clay makes it tough.

Latest posts