2-7/8" pipe for corner posts?

Help Support CattleToday:

chevytaHOE5674

Reaction score
I've been using 4.5" steel pipe for H-braced corners. Pipes are pounded 6' deep with a piece of 2-7/8"x10' for the horizontal. There's 4 strands of high-tensile smooth wire hanging on them. No complaints with that setup.

I'm buying another piece of land that requires 4.5 miles of perimeter fence with lots of corners.

4.5" pipe has skyrocketed around here. I found a good deal on 2-7/8", am I going to be sorry pounding that into he ground and using it for my corners?

I've been using 4.5" steel pipe for H-braced corners. Pipes are pounded 6' deep with a piece of 2-7/8"x10' for the horizontal. There's 4 strands of high-tensile smooth wire hanging on them. No complaints with that setup.

I'm buying another piece of land that requires 4.5 miles of perimeter fence with lots of corners.

4.5" pipe has skyrocketed around here. I found a good deal on 2-7/8", am I going to be sorry pounding that into he ground and using it for my corners?
No.

Ken

Where's that fence guy at?

I would think if you wanted good fence, especially if they are loooong stretches, the best corner you can build would be attractive.

I thoroughly regretted some of the things I've done fence wise. It's never fun to re-do it. And it always costs more money and it always fails at the worst possible time.

It depends on the quality and thickness of the pipe.
If it is 2 7/8 drill stem in decent condition it will still be there long after we are long gone.

Has Fence been banned? Can't get his name to come up using the @ symbol. Saw him here recently but not in the last few days. He's the guy to ask on this.

Last edited:
Wall thickness on it ranges between a little less than 1/4" to a little more than 5/16".

The 4.5" I was using was closer to 3/8" wall. I also used some 3.5" with a 1/2" wall.

I have 2 7/8 corners on fence right now and they are not 6' deep... as do many others in the area. Most have 5 or 6 wires or net wire.

Your common 2 7/8 tubing is like #6.5 and sch 80, 3" is usually a little over #7 I think. Tubing is better pipe if it's in good condition.

I have 2 7/8 corners on fence right now and they are not 6' deep... as do many others in the area. Most have 5 or 6 wires or net wire.

Your common 2 7/8 tubing is like #6.5 and sch 80, 3" is usually a little over #7 I think. Tubing is better pipe if it's in good condition.
Concreted in?

Where is that Fence guy? Lol I was really hoping for his opinion.

I'm the only one I know of within 200+ miles using steel corners. Everybody else is using RR ties, or cedar posts, so there's no local knowledge on the subject at all.

I don't know where Fence is he has been scarce around for a bit.

If I remember right from his past posts it is more about how you build the corner. I think you would be fine especially if you run your diagonal down to a stub post driven 6-8'. You are building your brace basically like this right I——I\I ?

All my current fence is built like this for shorter runs |--| or |--|--| on long runs. I've thought about doing | \ | with the 2-⅞ pipe.

I think the diagonal will help you more than anything. Run from your horizontal height to the ground. Without a diagonal you haven't really braced anything just spread a load.

So far I haven't had any trouble with just the horizontal brace in well over 150 corners and many mamy miles of wire. But I've also used 4.5" pipe or railroad ties for everything.

I'm thinking to use the 2-⅞ I may have to switch up the game a little bit.

Latest posts