Thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Very good looking bull hope he is as thick as his pix on AHA pedigre-epd page shows. After a quick background check,he has some great ones in his pedigree. Goes back twice to Sir 1 also to H. tompsons Mark Donald's and the Chandler Dhu's,even alittle of line1,and D4 through Derry's k66. A lot of the Victor's on the very bottom[must be where the polled comes in. Guess I would do some serious reserch as to birthweight and some carcass info. but he defintlly deserves some consideration. May be just a tad rough in the shoulders to be a true easy calving range bull but doe'nt think it is aproblem. Good luck!

novatech":2ukjd4t8 said:
WichitaLineMan":2ukjd4t8 said:
Any thoughts?

fhf8403starbuck19h.jpg
Makes me wonder how the horned fanatics can say they can't find good genetics.

http://sementank.com/fhf8403starbuck19h.htm

why would i want to use him when i can use 8403 instead?

I wish someone would comment on the bottom half of his pedigree. I know a lot about the cattle on the top side, but am fairly ignorant of the bottom of his pedigree.

Any takers?

novatech":11qv0bws said:
Red Bull Breeder":11qv0bws said:
Some times it what you don't see Novatech. I am no hereford expert don't claim to be.I figure some off the older hereford breeders still remember people having to use nurse cows to raise calves.
One of the reasons I like this bull. There are a lot of his granddaughters posted on the Internet. No milking problems there. I have never found much use for new popular unproven bulls.
I don't own Herefords but use them to AI on Brahman cows not used in the purebred group.

makes me wonder where i would be if photos posted on the internet factored into "one of the reasons i like the bull"

no milk problems - i wonder why

>>no milk problems - i wonder why<<

Probably because 8403 puts plenty of milk into the equation.

Hereford76":182tn2l1 said:
Glad to know you've got plenty of Achiever semen in the tank, 76! How about letting me have some of it?

George

i think i have already done my part saving the polled breed - no thanks

I've still got more horned Herefords than Polled Herefords, Ace! :lol: :lol:

But I've only got a very few straws of Achiever semen left, so I'm really picking where to use it. I'd love to have enough to use it less discriminately!

The point I was trying to make is, unless you already have some Achiever semen in your tank, the chance of finding some is slim...and the chance of finding some that is affordable is even less!

I'm not sure that "Tank" semen is any more accessible in the US, though.

George

Herefords.US":1caskocm said:
Hereford76":1caskocm said:
Glad to know you've got plenty of Achiever semen in the tank, 76! How about letting me have some of it?

George

i think i have already done my part saving the polled breed - no thanks

I've still got more horned Herefords than Polled Herefords, Ace! :lol: :lol:

George

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know - but where are you using it so discriminately and why

What is the going rate on Achiever semen? Might have some to sell.
Been in my tank since select sires sent the shipper to me - its not been traded around.
I have some really good young females out of him and have more in the tank than I expect to use.

Hereford76":u9q2d97f said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know - but where are you using it so discriminately and why

Why?? Because it's $100 a straw, the last I heard of any actually selling.

George

Herefordchick, I wouldn't sell it for less than $100 a straw. I think that's what Reed was asking for what they had and I also think that's close to what K-State got for the last that they sold.

George

Just called Select and had them release certs to my AHA account. No trouble at all.

A friend of mine just registered some last fall and had no trouble either.

Although from what I have been reading on here I wasted my time & money since my girls are polled.

herefordchick":1npjmm1h said:
Just called Select and had them release certs to my AHA account. No trouble at all.

A friend of mine just registered some last fall and had no trouble either.

Although from what I have been reading on here I wasted my time & money since my girls are polled.

:lol: :lol:

Lineman,

Gosh I'd have to do some digging to tell you what the certs cost me - my younguns are now having there second calves. Off the top of my head I was thinking $40 but not sure as it's been awhile. They were not real pricey might have been 30 just not sure. Just call Select Sires on Tuesday.

Where were you trying to buy certs and how much did they charge you?

Latest posts