Thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

His chest is too shallow, he is beer gutted which is not good for covering cows. Also well muscled animals should have better gut retention. He is sway backed, and his hip looks short. Lots of red flags for trying to make cows. The best cow makers are flat topped deep chested, and have a long hip. I'm not saying you couldn't use this bull for trait introgression, but I believe you will have a heavy sort.

Not a fan of Select Sires. This bull is another example of Angus terminal genetics. I like my SS rep he is awesome. Just wish they could find some bulls I can use.

I think y'all are being way too kind. In my mind seedstock bulls should be in a league of their own pheno- and genotypically. Here are a couple bulls from SS lineup that to me fit the bill around the same age as that pos bull.
View attachment 15798
View attachment 15799
View attachment 15800
Idk, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm surprised that they'd market a bull that looks like the one that began this thread.
The only problem with yours is they are black and catering to the CBA crap. Which of course applies to the original post too.

The only problem with yours is they are black and catering to the CBA crap. Which of course applies to the original post too.
CAB is a real premium. Packers will bid more, or the grid will pay more. Most black animals will be sold as angus at the counter regardless of thier quality, they don't even have to fulfill CAB requirements for packers to put an angus label on them, it just won't be a CAB label.

CAB is a real premium. Packers will bid more, or the grid will pay more. Most black animals will be sold as angus at the counter regardless of thier quality, they don't even have to fulfill CAB requirements for packers to put an angus label on them, it just won't be a CAB label.
Yeah, the whole CAB program is a cluster-f**k and has damaged the entire industry. CAB means nothing at the point of sale for packaged retail beef... and the stress on color has damaged genetic diversity until many breeds are becoming increasingly inbred. A great marketing idea with dire real world consequences.

Yeah, the whole CAB program is a cluster-f**k and has damaged the entire industry. CAB means nothing at the point of sale for packaged retail beef... and the stress on color has damaged genetic diversity until many breeds are becoming increasingly inbred. A great marketing idea with dire real world consequences.
I actually prefer red cows. The buyers here prefer black calves, though, so I choose to dance to the song that's playing.

I think y'all are being way too kind. In my mind seedstock bulls should be in a league of their own pheno- and genotypically. Here are a couple bulls from SS lineup that to me fit the bill around the same age as that pos bull.
View attachment 15798
View attachment 15799
View attachment 15800
Idk, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm surprised that they'd market a bull that looks like the one that began this thread.
Were any of these bulls raised in the same way you raise calves to sell? If bulls (or cows) were fed anything other than grass or hay at any point, there is no use in me looking at them.

Were any of these bulls raised in the same way you raise calves to sell? If bulls (or cows) were fed anything other than grass or hay at any point, there is no use in me looking at them.
I agree with Aero on that one,,

I feed calves from 60-90 days post weaning.

I feed calves from 60-90 days post weaning.
My logic says I should find someone who is doing what I am and evaluate those animals at the age I plan to market the calves. And they need to be better at exactly what I am doing than I am to get my business.

If I am raising calves on grass-only to weaning and selling at the sale barn, it makes no sense to think somebody who creep feeds their bull calves will be any better than mine - they probably aren't. If I am selling grass finished beef direct to consumer, why would I consider an AI bull from a shiny catalog that was made for feedlot finished animals going to a packer plant on the grid?

Looking at yearling weights for a bull when you sell weaned calves is no good for the terminal calves you are marketing.

There's just something about Angus bulls in general I really don't like, especially in the head and neck, and the butt

I guess our buyers here don't put so much emphasis on color, I rarely bring mine to the sale and wish they were black

Latest posts