thoughts on breeding red angus to black angus

Help Support CattleToday:

double v

Reaction score
Wondering about breeding blk angus to red angus then crossing there offspring to gelbviehs, has anyone got good results or would it better making balancers with strait runs of blks to blks and reds to reds? Lets hear the whys and why nots.

dont sound like you would get much heterosis to me............though with all the things hiding in some blacks you might unleash a monster :cowboy:

What would be the point?

If you are starting out with Red Angus and want straight blacks, uses a homo black bull. If you want straight reds, use a red bull. You won't gain anything much by crossing red on black first except for making it harder to get a straight run of reds.

There are some Red Angus breeders using black angus to get new genes in the pool. That would be about all it would accomplish other then making all the calves heterozygous black. Just use a good Gelbvieh on the Red Angus or the black, same result and you won;t lose a generation.

It's quite common in Canada where they are treated as one breed as they should be-some of the best cattle I've owned have been black red gene carriers.

I have nothing against red carrier black Angus cattle. The tend to be culled harder than the homozygous relations and are frequently a bargin. They can be used on white Charolais heifers to get char cross smokes and buckskins that work fine.
NR and Dylan are promoting a red carrier bull that has plenty going for him. Check him out in past posts.

Mark

Latest posts