Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess they all know what to do.
Be glad when we get a lil more rain and the grass starts taking off.
View attachment 28127
Damn... I hope you're graining her good. I've had more than one that would let any calf in the pasture suck and they always go to the sale barn because they won't take that kind of pressure without grain... and I couldn't take that kind of time and effort to coddle one cow that didn't know which calf was hers.

Damn... I hope you're graining her good. I've had more than one that would let any calf in the pasture suck and they always go to the sale barn because they won't take that kind of pressure without grain... and I couldn't take that kind of time and effort to coddle one cow that didn't know which calf was hers.
She gets fed twice a day. Her and Eleanor both. 2 scoops each morning and evening. They not only deserve it,, but they need it!! Can't seem to find any reasonable alfalfa around here in round bales. I'd a liked to had her in a little better shape before calving. She had 2 months off. But hay this year is poor. I did supplement with feed. I'd a liked to fed her seperate but I only have so much pen space. The calves would not have left her alone if I penned her with Eleanor and her babies. 😬

More pens are in the works. I've got Opal coming in a couple months with a calf too!

Edited to add....
Eleanor let's em do the same thing! And some of them are already eating feed too!

It always amazes me how quickly she puts condition back on. Once the grass comes on she just does it. And she's got FOUR calves nursing on her mostly!! Sure. She could be fatter, but really??
Compare to the pic above. Why can I not find another one like her????
My heart hurt really bad when she got that lump under her chin. I'm so glad she's well now!!
20230514_185309.jpg
I hope keeping Val gives me another GOOD mama just like her. Val has really put some leg on here recently. Terrible pic. But there she is. Big Sexy is on his way girl!!
20230514_185332.jpg
See that white back there by her udder? Yeah..... fingers 🤞

I got Bessie caught Friday or Saturday I can't remember. Got her calf that night. Just got the big black heifer caught today.
I'm gonna pull the black heifer and let Bessie raise Sandy. That's 3 calves Bessie has already got to weaning. If I go ahead and pull her own calf, it'll be 4.
Then I could put both Sandy and Jim on her. I kind of want to bottle Jim tho. I'm considering keeping him, depending on how he grows etc....
These new calves get plugged in so easily with Bessie. I'm seriously gonna full on cry when she gets too old!!
20230617_180534.jpg

So I went ahead and started weaning Bessies 2 calves. They will go down the road with her 3rd calf I weaned earlier. Buddy needed some lawnmowers and he's feeding them a bit. I'll pitch in with some hay/feed til fall I hope. Her two ought to go about 300lbs. Big enough. And she's already loving the 2 eared calves.
20230620_064000.jpg
20230620_064015.jpg20230620_064602.jpg

L.M.A.O!!
Only Bessies boy would do something like that. You'd think he belonged to Seven! That's her favorite thing to do is stand in the darn stock tank too.
He's kind of rotten btw. I set his feed bucket down to the left on the trailer. He was hungry evidently...
20230620_190452.jpg
How bout some EARZ!!
Jim has a hump too. When I go pet him I gotta fool around with it. Anybody ever feel around on one of those things? It's hard to describe without being inappropriate!
Like a certain female anatomy, kinda..
ANYWAY!
20230620_190839.jpg

What IS it with calves sleeping in the feeder? My pea-brained calf decided it was not only a good place to sleep, but it also made a very good bathroom as well. I wondered why Molly wasn't eating as much hay as she usually does, and then one morning I saw Joe standing in the feeder, peeing. I chased him out and went to remove the wet hay, and found a LOT of wet hay down at the bottom, and it was HOT. I'm glad I discovered it before it combusted and burned the barn down. Now Molly has to eat on the ground, outside, until Joe is too big to stand in the feeder.

Kids... they make me so tired. 😖

Most Jerseys love all calves and people too yet the bulls are killers. I was going to rent a Jersey bull to breed my cows but both the guy across the road and my husband said NO, use the neighbor's black heifer bull.