Some good milk fever advice

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasJerseyMilker

Reaction score
Back three lactations ago we found Daphne on the ground unable to get up after delivering a big bull calf. Due to inexperience we thought it was from a dystocia, a difficult birth. She was down for three days. We kept water and hay in front of her, turned her every six hours and propped her up with hay bales. Some times she would be found lying head downhill and would bloat so we had to reposition her in the middle of the night using ropes and the tractor. You could not milk anything from her, so I did store bought colostrum and milk replacer. With good care she still could not get up and we were thinking we'd have to shoot her. Then my retired dairyman friend called from Oregon and said Have you thought about milk fever? I gave her one tube of calcium and another a while later. I prayed to God Lord I know thy will be done but please I ask you save my cow. I looked outside a while later and there she was, standing up and that greedy black bull calf sucking away.Calfus Colosus (2).JPG
Here is the useful advice I found about Milk Fever on a Homesteading board

Discussion Starter · #1 · Apr 20, 2012 (Edited)

" There seems to always be questions on milk fever on here so this is for you all. Milk fever can happen in any breed and any age dairy animals mostly. Some breeds can have milk fever as others don`t near as much. The Jersey breed seems to be one of those breeds that can, but I`m a firm believer that care and feeding can keep most cattle from ever getting it, or mild cases of it at best. Milk fever comes from a rapid draw in calcium from the cows system, and they will have problems real quick if they get it. If you feed your cow good quality grass hay (not timothy) and feed free choice salt and mineral during her dry period she should be fine. Once your cow has her calf keep an eye on your cow, if she has ice cold ears, dry nose, is standoffish, slow on her feet, stumbles, lays down a lot, and at her worst her head will turn around and lay close to her side. Now mild cases of milk fever can be cured on the most part by giving oral calcium in the mouth. The tubes look somewhat like caulking tubes and can be purchased at most farm stores and vet clinics, and you will need the special gun that goes with them. You just put the tube at the back of their mouth on their tongue and press the triger and slowly give her the whole tube. If your cow has been known to have milk fever before, it would be a good idea to give one of these tubes before she has her calf if you can, then another 6 hours after she has it. If giving several of these tubes does not do the trick you should call your vet. to come out and give a calcium solution I.V. to the cow. If the vet does come out to give the I.V. make sure he gives the I.V. slow and never more than one bottle to a small Jersey as two bottles can cause heart attacks. If they need more after one bottle is given a Sub. Q. (under the skin) dose can be given. Make sure you give your cow water after they have their calf , that is VERY important. Warm water in the winter, as they seem to drink it better, I never give mollasses in the water, but know some that do. You can also after they have their calf, give the cow high calcium feed such as good quality alfalfa and good timothy hay. This has worked well for us here and we have very little trouble with milk fever, and we have all jersey cows. If we do have a slight problem, the tube calcium is enough for us, and we never have more than one or two that have ever had slight milk fever cases. And there never seems to be a steadfast reason why they get it sometimes and not other times. For me age has not been the issue, it will happen when it happens, just be ready. Hope this helps some of you that may have problems, this only a guide, and if you feel you need a Vet to consult, please feel free to call them. I know some of you do not have many vets in your areas, so look ahead before you need them. > Thank You All. and God Bless America > Marc

PS- I also would like to add that I never milk a cow out all the way for the first couple days they have been fresh, only part way the first day, second day 1/2 to 3/4 and all the way out after that, and I don`t get mastitis from doing this either. I have milked cows most of my life and have had just jerseys the last five years, so I think I have lived the life very much to know what works, I also do most all of my own vet work as that is what I wanted to be when I grew up, but the thought of eight more years of schooling changed my mind. > Marc"

Here is the useful advice I found about Milk Fever on a Homesteading board

Discussion Starter · #1 · Apr 20, 2012 (Edited)

If the vet does come out to give the I.V. make sure he gives the I.V. slow and never more than one bottle to a small Jersey....
LOL - love the advice of micro managing your Vet.
Funnier than anything that's been in Daily Chuckle the past few of days.

Lots of vets these days don't have much experience with dairy cows. This from the Merck Manual

" . Intravenous infusion of calcium transiently raises blood calcium concentrations to nearly twice the normal upper limit. This puts the cow at risk for fatal cardiac arrhythmia. Therefore, calcium-containing solutions should be administered slowly (over 10–20 minutes) while cardiac rhythm is monitored by auscultation or carotid pulse. If severe dysrhythmias or bradycardia develop, administration should be stopped until the heart rhythm has returned to normal. "

Glad the cow made a recovery after finding a correct diagnosis. Overall your post was good information. As your last post explained, too much calcium can be bad. A condition called hypercalcemia. A low calcium level is called hypocalcemia. An ionized calcium assay (iCa) is a blood test that will reveal the animal's calcium level. Cows with a history of milk fever could be tested before parturition to determine their risk of milk fever.

<< It is amazing that 2 tubes oral, not IV calgluconate, saved her when she was down for so long. We turned her every 6 hours round the clock and kept her from bloating. No milk was milked out of her so that helped keep the calcium demand down.

Because of Daphne's milk fever history and middle age after this she always got a tube of calcium paste just before birth and 12 hours later as a preventative, She was on grass hay while pregnant, no alfalfa. Now she is retired and I have a window looking heifer just like her.

Almost 40 years later, I still remember the first milk fever cow I saw, fresh out of vet school.

Jersey cow, flat out in the barn. Ran her a bottle of calcium, IV... slowly... and a bottle 'in the side' (intraperitoneally). She got to her feet and walked out of the barn... success!!! But... a Holstein walked up, got broadside in front of her and 'bowed up', in a challenging posture, and the Jersey just fell over dead on the spot.
My balloon of confidence deflated pdq.

I only ever saw milk fever once, and I was quite young. She was down and Dad and Grandpa decided quite quickly that milk fever was the problem. A lantern pump and some twine had her up and about in no time.

I'm guessing it's the old treatment where they would inflate the udder with air and tie off the tests to prevent the air from escaping. Never seen it done but I'm told it works. Caused a lot of mastitis and was abandoned once they understood the role of calcium.

I'm guessing it's the old treatment where they would inflate the udder with air and tie off the tests to prevent the air from escaping. Never seen it done but I'm told it works. Caused a lot of mastitis and was abandoned once they understood the role of calcium.
I think it was abandoned because better ways became available, not because any better understanding. It was also the only method available at one time. I have an ancient vet manual that describes the treatment. I'm afraid to open the book anymore for fear of it falling apart.

I think the idea was to force a higher udder pressure with air to try and stop the production of more milk, which would have caused a further calcium demand in a dying cow. I doubt they would instantly get up since they already didn't have enough calcium to work their muscles.

You are supposed to not milk a fresh cow completely out in the first week, again, because of increased calcium demand. Which makes a lot more sense that blowing the poor thing up with air.

I think the idea was to force a higher udder pressure with air to try and stop the production of more milk, which would have caused a further calcium demand in a dying cow. I doubt they would instantly get up since they already didn't have enough calcium to work their muscles.

You are supposed to not milk a fresh cow completely out in the first week, again, because of increased calcium demand. Which makes a lot more sense that blowing the poor thing up with air.
No, they would get up in no time. Reason being the milk was pushed back into the bloodstream and therefore calcium was reintroduced much like a calcium IV. Or so I was led to believe.

I was not a labor and delivery nurse and don't know everything about bosoms. But as I understand it some of the milk nutrients can be absorbed back into the bloodstream. But it's a slow process of white blood cells and macrophages cleaning up cellular debris and gradually re entering the bloodstream, it is not instantaneous.

Here is a discussion of what happens when a woman suddenly weans her baby. Her 'udder' gets full of milk and the pressure in the ducts and glands goes up. This does not force nutrients back into the bloodstream. The milk producing cells start to die and then clean up cells come to clean up the mess. This is actually how a woman or a cow begins the drying up process.

What can happen to heavily pregnant women and you have to watch them close for this is they can run short of magnesium like grass tetany in cows. A test for pre clampsia is you run your finger up and across the bottom of their bare foot. Their toes will flare this is a sign they are in trouble and need some IV magnesium before they go into full blown eclampsia and have seizures. Gosh I liked labor and delivery. The labor suites are like homey comfy rooms at grandmas house with ruffled curtains . But at the first sign of trouble open those wood cabinets and it looks like NASA in there with heart monitors, dials, instruments and oxygen gauges. It's great to get those little babies out and hear their first cry and give them to their mothers, see her glow radiant with love like an angel. Seeing a cow turn around and lick her baby is pretty great too.

anyway " The cells in the high pressure breast (or udder) that produce milk are going to self destruct via apoptosis or the connections between those cells and neighboring cells breakdown and the cells die. White blood cells, the macrophages, are like tiny amoebas that come in and engulf the cellular debris that's left behind. (This could cause a high somatic cell count in the milk tank) These clean up cells and the remaining cells will most likely take up and use some of the nutrients left behind. The destroyed cells are replaced with fat cells. Those clean up cells that do all the work (macrophages), VERY little of those proteins, fats, or sugars, ect. will re-enter the blood."

I was not a labor and delivery nurse and don't know everything about bosoms. But as I understand it some of the milk nutrients can be absorbed back into the bloodstream. But it's a slow process of white blood cells and macrophages cleaning up cellular debris and gradually re entering the bloodstream, it is not instantaneous.

Here is a discussion of what happens when a woman suddenly weans her baby. Her 'udder' gets full of milk and the pressure in the ducts and glands goes up. This does not force nutrients back into the bloodstream. The milk producing cells start to die and then clean up cells come to clean up the mess. This is actually how a woman or a cow begins the drying up process.

What can happen to heavily pregnant women and you have to watch them close for this is they can run short of magnesium like grass tetany in cows. A test for pre clampsia is you run your finger up and across the bottom of their bare foot. Their toes will flare this is a sign they are in trouble and need some IV magnesium before they go into full blown eclampsia and have seizures. Gosh I liked labor and delivery. The labor suites are like homey comfy rooms at grandmas house with ruffled curtains . But at the first sign of trouble open those wood cabinets and it looks like NASA in there with heart monitors, dials, instruments and oxygen gauges. It's great to get those little babies out and hear their first cry and give them to their mothers, see her glow radiant with love like an angel. Seeing a cow turn around and lick her baby is pretty great too.

anyway " The cells in the high pressure breast (or udder) that produce milk are going to self destruct via apoptosis or the connections between those cells and neighboring cells breakdown and the cells die. White blood cells, the macrophages, are like tiny amoebas that come in and engulf the cellular debris that's left behind. (This could cause a high somatic cell count in the milk tank) These clean up cells and the remaining cells will most likely take up and use some of the nutrients left behind. The destroyed cells are replaced with fat cells. Those clean up cells that do all the work (macrophages), VERY little of those proteins, fats, or sugars, ect. will re-enter the blood."
That looks like a lot of typing just to tell me I didn't see what I saw, and to discount the accounts of the many old timers who actually used this method as liars.

Not calling anyone a liar, they saw what they saw. Just a lot of typing to explain how this could not possibly happen biologically. Cows might have been just sulling and got up. As everybody knows these days what works is giving back the cow some calcium through her rumen or her bloodstream.

Last edited:

Latest posts