How low can she go

Help Support CattleToday:

beefgirl

Reaction score
Do you think this cow will be able to raise her calf with bag like this? She's always had a large bag but it has never hung down this low. Calf seems to be drinking off one quarter only. This girl was my first calf I ever bought and raised so she is half holstein and half angus. She is seven years old. One year I raised two calves on her but it was such a hassle that I won't do it again. Definitely cull her after calf is weaned.

Attachments

• D80B5DC9-08C6-44F4-8EF3-848B88F168DF.png
    D80B5DC9-08C6-44F4-8EF3-848B88F168DF.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • AE2039FD-E873-45C2-A925-48CAF5BFD5F7.png
    AE2039FD-E873-45C2-A925-48CAF5BFD5F7.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 96C78CE9-4827-4FF8-BF8A-D00983E8FFE1.png
    96C78CE9-4827-4FF8-BF8A-D00983E8FFE1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Her poor udder is as big as the calf!!
Milk her out, or hopefully the calf gets a healthy appetite soon. If there's really that much milk in there a second or 3rd calf would be good. Is she not agreeable to taking extra babies??

Suppose ya could machine milk her daily and feed 3 calves that way with a nipple bucket!

It'll probably figure out the rest in time. Just watch her for mastitis. Culling in the fall is the right decision. Unfortunately I have only known a few "Holgies" that didn't have a similar fate.
I just wish I would have culled her sooner. Has to be very uncomfortable for her. First time I've heard "holgies" and I won't buy anymore unless I plan to use them as nurse cow.

Her poor udder is as big as the calf!!
Milk her out, or hopefully the calf gets a healthy appetite soon. If there's really that much milk in there a second or 3rd calf would be good. Is she not agreeable to taking extra babies??

Suppose ya could machine milk her daily and feed 3 calves that way with a nipple bucket!
She is not agreeable to letting other calves nurse. One year I did put an extra on her but I swear he had a bit of brain damage from being kicked in the head one too many times. He finally learned to drink off the same side and in the back when her calf was drinking and only then. Only bottle calf I've ever had that just flat out doesn't like humans. I'm not sure but I think one back quarter she may have had mastitis in and it's no longer functioning. I don't have a machine and no way am I going to try to hand milk this one. I just hope she can raise this one up to weaning.

Do you think this cow will be able to raise her calf with bag like this?
Yes, he's latched on and knows what's up. He's one who would benefit from creep feeding and an easily reached water source.
You know the rest, so pull the trigger when she reaches the point that all she is providing for her calf is companionship.

Latest posts