Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

Agreed!
Danged ol plain hereford/angus is hard to beat.
Last week, I took that boy that wanted me to help him set up in the cow business to see a herd of Red Angus, and he ended up getting 22 cows with Black Hereford calves, bred back the same way. These were born in May and June. The youngest cow was 3 and the oldest is 6, so he is gonna be set for a while. Dang good looking set of calves.... I guess the "reverse black baldies" will work just as well as traditional. Clay brought him some open 18 mos old Brangus heifers Saturday,,, 6 black and 5 red. So yesterday, he went back to the red angus guy and talked him into selling that Black Hereford bull. It is 3 yr old, and is homozygous for black and polled. pretty decent looking bull, actually. He turned it in with those heifers, so he is gonna be having some super black baldy calves around July. I asked him if he still wanted some Angus and Hereford cows. I had found several good ones of both kinds, but he says he wants to stick with the red Angus and red Brangus and Black Hereford bull thing for the time being. He has 33 cows now, and when he gets 35 he will qualify for the cross-fencing program . He said his cousin has two solid red 1st calf Simms he is going to get, so that will make his 35.

These red Angus cows are NICE. Had they been black, they would have been over $3k for the 3 n 1 packages, instead of the $2k he paid. @Sthrncwboy , if you are lurking. how about posting the pics of those red angus cows with the black baldy calves?

Last week, I took that boy that wanted me to help him set up in the cow business to see a herd of Red Angus, and he ended up getting 22 cows with Black Hereford calves, bred back the same way. These were born in May and June. The youngest cow was 3 and the oldest is 6, so he is gonna be set for a while. Dang good looking set of calves.... I guess the "reverse black baldies" will work just as well as traditional. Clay brought him some open 18 mos old Brangus heifers Saturday,,, 6 black and 5 red. So yesterday, he went back to the red angus guy and talked him into selling that Black Hereford bull. It is 3 yr old, and is homozygous for black and polled. pretty decent looking bull, actually. He turned it in with those heifers, so he is gonna be having some super black baldy calves around July. I asked him if he still wanted some Angus and Hereford cows. I had found several good ones of both kinds, but he says he wants to stick with the red Angus and red Brangus and Black Hereford bull thing for the time being. He has 33 cows now, and when he gets 35 he will qualify for the cross-fencing program . He said his cousin has two solid red 1st calf Simms he is going to get, so that will make his 35.

These red Angus cows are NICE. Had they been black, they would have been over $3k for the 3 n 1 packages, instead of the $2k he paid. @Sthrncwboy , if you are lurking. how about posting the pics of those red angus cows with the black baldy calves?
For the 4th time in about 3 weeks, I have seen some red Angus cows that just impressed the heck out of me! Went to look at some yesterday, that had calves sired by a BWF Simm bull. They were about half solid black and half with that white forehead patch you see on some Simms. I guess I just really haven't paid much attention to today's red angus til here lately. I guessed the age of his calves to be 2 months older than they were. I asked if he was about to wean them, and he said no, they are just 4 to 5 months old. There wasn;t a one that won;t weigh over 500 lbs. I tyold him about my young friend, who was looking for some red angus to breed tohis Black Hereford for some blackbaldies. He said he was thinking the same thing! Said he was considerig selling his bull and buying a BH. He wanted black baldies too! I was thinking to myself "I wouldn;t change a THING in his program". I asked what he wanted for the bull. and I told him I had run up on some good Black HJereford bulls lately, and he asked me would I want to do some trading. On the way home, I called my friend and told him about this BWF Simm bull. The man wanted twice what he paid for the Black Hereford this week. He asked me about how the calves looked and said no, he wanted black baldies..that those calves wouldn;t have enough white! I told him to trade that $2k bull he just bought for this man's $5k bull ( it is registered), then sell it and buy another Black Hereford bull and have money left over. But he don't want to do that. Said " WHat happens if it breeds my Brangus before I sell it?!!" So, I gave up! Run into people like this all the time with horses. People willbuy a mediocre palomino, buck skin, or paint for way more thana they could have gotten an outstanding bay for! I have made out like a bandit the past few decades by trading a sorry palomino. buckskin or paint for world-class potential bays, greys and chestnuts! There was 16 of those cows, and if I wasn't retired, I would buy them myself, and get a solid black, homo Simm bull and show them both how to sell calves! Well, with just 16, I would just AI. We gonna get those for my young friend, though Dude wants $3k a pair for them, and I know those steers will wean 700 or better, and bring $2.50 plus each. So he won't have but about $1300 each in those cows.

Last edited:
Why do you hope they don't breed her? Is she that bad?
😄
Somehow or another they end up living at my place more than theirs!!
They do not own a bull.
Bessies first daughter is living at my place now. And they have Cindy. The one they raised on a bottle they want to breed eventually. I can handle 2
But it only goes so far......

They feed half a dozen a year to slaughter. That's their main thing.

Speaking of Bessies first born here.
Yes, she belongs to neighbor. Shes due end of February, first of March to Big Sexy. And she's quite a bit larger than her mother! She didn't get bred til late. Not my fault. Not her fault. His sale barn bull didn't breed ANYTHING.
Bessie is on the other side of her....
20240119_170853.jpg
See there......
She is a large heifer!
20240119_170837.jpg
I'm sure Bessie is enjoying her down time. I'll be glad when grass comes on again. She always puts some condition back on in a hurry with the spring flush. Can't feed her enough or whatever it is in the spring grass that does her sooo good

Bessies daughter. (Belongs to neighbor!)
Starting to form an udder. She's camped out here so I can assist if needed. Tho if she needs assistance, they should probly sell her! Shes huge. Plenty big enough and bred to Big Sexy. Should be an easy calving for her. They have not mentioned trying to add calves. I won't mention it either!
From the pic, looks like daughter will calve before mother. We will see....
20240212_172619.jpg

I don't know who's gonna calve first!
Bessie is getting there. I have 4 at home and I'm pretty sure Big Sexy got right with it!
Bessie is bagging up. Her teats never really iron the wrinkles out. I better start looking for an extra calf.
I really should rework that 75ft of fence.....
20240217_182522.jpg20240217_182610.jpg
I'll be glad when grass comes on. She's had a good break, and fed well, but could definitely be in better shape.

Good to see Bessie calved and all looks good. Nice big calf... And contrary to a comment you made in your Feb 17 post, and pictures, she was in very good shape to calve for a jersey. If they get too fat they more often have milk fever problems and that is a continual problem with older jerseys... She is NOT supposed to look like a beef cow when she is ready to calve...
Good luck finding a calf you can afford to put on her... saw a post by a friend on some sale in PA... the sale barn there listed their sales report... and a black baby calf brought $10.70...per pound... weighed just a smidge over 100 so brought $1070.... for a SINGLE baby bottle calf...
Good luck with that... OMG..... I used to get upset if a $50 calf died... can you imagine a calf like that getting sick and dying???? And we all know that they can just get sick and die in a heartbeat.

Good to see Bessie calved and all looks good. Nice big calf... And contrary to a comment you made in your Feb 17 post, and pictures, she was in very good shape to calve for a jersey. If they get too fat they more often have milk fever problems and that is a continual problem with older jerseys... She is NOT supposed to look like a beef cow when she is ready to calve...
Good luck finding a calf you can afford to put on her... saw a post by a friend on some sale in PA... the sale barn there listed their sales report... and a black baby calf brought $10.70...per pound... weighed just a smidge over 100 so brought $1070.... for a SINGLE baby bottle calf...
Good luck with that... OMG..... I used to get upset if a $50 calf died... can you imagine a calf like that getting sick and dying???? And we all know that they can just get sick and die in a heartbeat.
For sure!
I gave around 400 for Dapples a bit back.
I'm at a sale in Pawnee. No babies but they may split an older pair or two. Fingers 🤞

Unable to buy a baby yesterday.
But how cool is this!!
Bessies lim/long firstborn here is about to do it too! Shes up. She's down. Circling. Sniffing. Kicking belly. Tail up. Away from herd. This'll be her first. I was going to town, think I'll wait a while.....
This should be an interesting calf. Big Sexy is the sire. Should be plenty of chrome!
20240303_110009.jpg

Latest posts