Looks like somebody’s got milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Maybell had her calf sometime last night.
Had a time finding cow and calf this morning in the fog. Drove the tractor around the perimeter looking for her and passed her up close to where I got off to unroll some hay.
Now comes the fun or not so fun part, getting the pair to the barn and getting her milked down. Hoping to find some calves pretty quick to put on her.
The second picture is a Jersey Angus cross courtesy of our neighbors Jersey bull. She calved a few days ago and her calf had gotten chilled in cool rain so we brought them up and I turned that pair out this morning. She has enough milk for another calf early on but too much of a kicker and her calf will eventually be able to take that milk.
5C6F91F5-F8A8-4558-99A8-D017EFDCA566.jpeg8D1209EE-9B7A-4F66-A29F-A22AD8A2455F.jpeg

Just milk them and learn how to make cheese!!!! You could save a fortune on calves and groceries.:cool:
I'm hoping to find some calves, I don't care much for milking.
I am gonna try freezing some colostrum from her. Used to do that with some heavy milking ewes that just had one lamb.

Here's a picture of me walking the pair to the barn. Pretty long walk, I'm about half way there at that point. carried the calf across a branch and went back and lead the cow across. Cow would lead for a while then push the calf along and she'd follow. Sure was handy her being halter broke. Even if she balks sometimes and hard to catch at times it's makes working with her easier.
FA1B67D0-2026-4A23-BE87-36E4B373CF8F.jpeg

Here's a picture of me walking the pair to the barn. Pretty long walk, I'm about half way there at that point. carried the calf across a branch and went back and lead the cow across. Cow would lead for a while then push the calf along and she'd follow. Sure was handy her being halter broke. Even if she balks sometimes and hard to catch at times it's makes working with her easier.
View attachment 41904
Holy smoke!
Good thing u got her milked down. That udder looks like it could explode!

I know a guy by Seymour Missouri with Brown Swiss Steer calves and Holstein steer calves for $150 per calf, I used to buy All of his calves, but life got to busy to do it anymore. Anyone interested pm me and I will give you his number.

She's doing good on the bottle so far . I've tried to get her started on feed but she's not much interested.
It varies from calf to calf, some start in a few days of trying and some take longer, had one that was over a month old before he started eating.
You may be already doing this, but I get a little feed in my had and put it in their mouth right after they finish the bottle and are still wanting more from the bottle. A few hands of feed after their bottle for a few days generally does it.
The first times they will work a lot of out of their mouth but you can tell after a while they are swallowing most of it. Then they will get to nosing around in the feed pan eventually, I think they take take to it a little faster by putting it their mouths.

It varies from calf to calf, some start in a few days of trying and some take longer, had one that was over a month old before he started eating.
You may be already doing this, but I get a little feed in my had and put it in their mouth right after they finish the bottle and are still wanting more from the bottle. A few hands of feed after their bottle for a few days generally does it.
The first times they will work a lot of out of their mouth but you can tell after a while they are swallowing most of it. Then they will get to nosing around in the feed pan eventually, I think they take take to it a little faster by putting it their mouths.
I'm doing that after each feeding. Last night she was fighting me and ran from me . She's a strong calf but I'll keep on trying ! 🤠

Latest posts