Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

So Bessie ended up with 3 after all.
Just gonna drop this here, Toodles the bathtub bull calf is hers now. He's out of Ricky from the "brahma cross bull prospect" thread.
As long as we have no more issues, Bessie is good. I think 4 calves is too much. But 3 will suffice.
Can u imagine this lil bull breeding cows with his tongue like that??
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
View attachment 13767
He got banded yesterday...
This was what I was trying to show you-he'll do that for 30 seconds after nursing then go on about his business. He's being steered soon too

Attachments

• 7B63A8C7-A6AB-42AD-9DE8-A20E50576B62.jpeg
    7B63A8C7-A6AB-42AD-9DE8-A20E50576B62.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
This was what I was trying to show you-he'll do that for 30 seconds after nursing then go on about his business. He's being steered soon too
Yep!
I see them do that alot. This one is odd tho.
I've been watching him quite a bit today. When he Moo's, his right side (the side the tongue hangs out) opens more than the other too. Like his lower jaw is crooked....

Well guys, he's still a work in progress. I've seen him nursing Bessie. He's pooped a couple times. This evening he was empty! Sunken in tummy. And he would go to nurse and just look at the udder and walk away. I stuck a bottle in him. He gobbled it all down.
Not sure how this lil guy is gonna turn out.

I just can't help but think he's brain damaged. Its like he don't know what to do. He don't come for the bottle either. I have to stick it in his mouth and then it's like a light bulb came on and he goes to sucking. Just very very weird.
20220227_170318.jpg

He's a dummy.
20220228_174252.jpg20220228_174254.jpg20220228_174629.jpg
Idk why his tongue curls off to the side like that while nursing. Almost like the left side is paralyzed? Reminds me of Stallone, the way only one side his mouth moves. Yo, Adrian!! 🤣
Heck. Idk. But at this point it appears I have a bottle calf. He hasn't nursed Bessie since the other day. He can be hollow and empty and go stare at her udder and just walks away. 🤷‍♂️

Yep!
I see them do that alot. This one is odd tho.
I've been watching him quite a bit today. When he Moo's, his right side (the side the tongue hangs out) opens more than the other too. Like his lower jaw is crooked....
You should check to see if he has an underbite and check to see if his lower jaw is crooked. Calves and other newborns that act like this calf are similar to autistic children. When I told a wildlife biologist that a deer fawn had autism, I was told that only human children can get autism. However, studies of mice and rats showed that they could get autism, just like human children, so I don't know why other newborns wouldn't be born autistic. The newborn animals that acted like they were autistic that I received for care all had birth defects like underbite, crooked legs, weak pasterns, low set ears and if they died and I necropsied them, enlarged right heart ventricle and underdeveloped thymus.

You should check to see if he has an underbite and check to see if his lower jaw is crooked. Calves and other newborns that act like this calf are similar to autistic children. When I told a wildlife biologist that a deer fawn had autism, I was told that only human children can get autism. However, studies of mice and rats showed that they could get autism, just like human children, so I don't know why other newborns wouldn't be born autistic. The newborn animals that acted like they were autistic that I received for care all had birth defects like underbite, crooked legs, weak pasterns, low set ears and if they died and I necropsied them, enlarged right heart ventricle and underdeveloped thymus.
We were able to check his mouth a bit last night. Bite looked ok when mouth was closed.
But his right side opens more than the left. When he nurses, it's from his right side. It's very weird/interesting.

"Winter, spring, summer or fall
all you have to do is call
and I'll be there .
You've got a friend." from the Murray-Doodles Collection with special thanks to Carole King
Hes a goofy lil fart. 🤪
U need a friend? Shipping ain't cheap tho...

We shall persevere! 😌
Maybe another light bulb will come on and he will RE-discover the greatness that is Bessie!

Last edited:
Have you tried giving him a shot of Bo-Se it's Selenium and vitamin E in a shot, I've had calves where there tongue didn't work quite right, and a shot of Bo-Se given once every 3 days for a total of 3 times for the worst ones fixed their tongue and their brains. Btw I'd take him if I wasn't so far away;)

No other meds/vitamins/drugs yet.

I caught him on Bessie this morning. More udder bumping than nursing. But it's a start. Maybe the lil idiot will figure it out after all....

He's been sporadic on how much he takes from the bottle. Half, 3/4, last night all he took was lil over a pint. This morning he took the rest then went to Bessie. 🤞

He's clearly too old for the Madigan Squeeze now but wonder if that would have made a tremendous impact when he was born. At least there's some progress. But you're on it, as usual!
I had to Google that!
That is interesting 🤔
Factory reset they say...

I withheld a bottle tonight. He's trying like heck to get Bessie figured out. He know where to go. And does a lot of bumping. I just can't help but think I'm not doing him any favors by bottling. Gonna go fiddle around in the dark and see if his tummy looks fuller. He will have to wait til morning for a bottle. I want that lil sucker to figure it out. I know missing one bottle won't kill him. But at the same time, I'd like him regular!

So much for that.
Hollow and empty again this evening.
Bottle. Took the whole thing no problem. Aside from his dang tongue hanging out while nursing.
Sheesh. Least the wife is enjoying the lil fart. It's gonna break her heart if he don't make it.

He's sleeping now. With his tongue hanging out......
20220303_194210.jpg

So I think I figured out what's going on here. He's been nursing Bessie occasionally. But I don't think she's making enough for him to get his fill. Least that's my guess. I turned Bessie out with Val and Harrison this morning. He took a pint from the bottle. Took his whole bottle this evening. We will see what he tales tmrw morning. I'm betting a whole bottle!
20220305_073631.jpg

So I think I figured out what's going on here. He's been nursing Bessie occasionally. But I don't think she's making enough for him to get his fill. Least that's my guess. I turned Bessie out with Val and Harrison this morning. He took a pint from the bottle. Took his whole bottle this evening. We will see what he tales tmrw morning. I'm betting a whole bottle!
View attachment 13998
That's art.......thanks

Full bottle last night
Full bottle this morning
3/4 this evening
I'm on the fence about keeping him. I'd prefer a heifer if I'm gonna spend a lot of time and effort on one. A heifer to retain.
Anyway!

His nose is peeling???? So weird...
Was he possibly born premature?
20220307_180150.jpg
Still sucking with his tongue out too. Always that side.
20220307_180357.jpg
Bessie has been coming up every morning and evening like clockwork for her breakfast and dinner.
Her 2 calves are doing well. I'll get some more pics of them in a few days.

Latest posts