Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

She's going to go past her due date of the 17th and have a bull calf.... anyone taking bets?????😉 Glad she is not here... we had 6 inches of snow yesterday after a week of 50's and 60's.... and it was 16 this morning... 🥶😮
I'm already thinking bull calf! Tho, I'd much prefer a heifer to keep!

Tell me about it! 60's today and tmrw.
Wednesday and Thursday is calling for snow and rain then a low of 12 degrees. We desperately need the moisture. I got the trailer backed up to the pen for shelter.

Still waiting on Ellie Moo too. I was watching her yesterday morning and thought that calf was gonna kick right thru the side and out onto the ground!
No calf this morning either...

Last edited:
Awwwww! A little heifer with EYELASHES!

And Bessie... Yum, slurp, slurp! That part always grosses me out. I know it jump-starts the milk, but eeeuuuwwwww... One of mine calved in the barn one time during a cold spell and threw that thing against the wall - it sounded like a half-empty waterbed mattress hitting the wall. Fortunately, I had not recently eaten my dinner. :sick: (And REALLY glad I wasn't standing close enough to get knocked in the head with it!)

One quarter APPEARED nursed down some this morning. No milk poo yet.
I've been watching her struggle with the 2 front teats. They are a little long but I've had no issues b4. It's a bit frustrating and concerning. She laps and laps at em but just can't seem to start on sucking them. 😕

May have to chute her and get her latched on. We will see

Heifers don't usually have trouble figuring out the milk thing, in my worldly experience. ;) Feel her belly. Is it round and full(ish)? If so, the lapping is because she WANTS more, but can't fit any more in her tummy.

I miss my babies so much, I'm going to live vicariously through you, OK? (I will have more babies at some point, but it's going to be a year or more.) Keep posting pics and updates, please! :)

Heifers don't usually have trouble figuring out the milk thing, in my worldly experience. ;) Feel her belly. Is it round and full(ish)? If so, the lapping is because she WANTS more, but can't fit any more in her tummy.

I miss my babies so much, I'm going to live vicariously through you, OK? (I will have more babies at some point, but it's going to be a year or more.) Keep posting pics and updates, please! :)
Yep. I'm probably over cautious this morning. Like I said, the left rear seemed nursed. That quarter was definitely smaller. And she is pretty small calf so probly didn't take much to make her tummy happy!
She did not appear empty (the calf)

All that being said, I may go ahead and wait another day to put Mr. FORD on her.

BTW! Her bag is much improved this go round!! If she's dripping milk tonight I may go ahead. We will see

Well!
Val nursed Bessie down pretty good today and she's got lil yeller poopy butt, so went ahead. And yes. Bessie was leaking a bit. 😆
Turned him loose with her! After much knee nursing (mine and Bessies) he found the wrong end. Even after I pointed him right where he belongs repeatedly....20220215_175148.jpg
The biggest surprise tonight!
Bessie kicked at him! 😠
Shes never so much as raised a leg b4. I suspect she may be a bit antsy about her calf still. Seems pretty protective. Only been 24hrs roughly. And the fact I'm in there fooling around with a new baby too. She just seemed stirred up.
Harrison seemed real cautious about getting close to his new mama too. Guess she seems intimidating, idk. Turns out, Bessie just wanted to get a good sniff and lick him a bit!
So here's a terrible couple pic's in the dark with a flashlight....
Harrison is nursing.
Val is to the left.
20220215_195600.jpg20220215_195824.jpg
His lil tail was going like hell.
Successful evening. All is well in my lil world.

Edited to add..
Twin heifer calf sold for 250 today.
I made up my mind last year I'm buying better quality calves for Bessie this time. So no twin calves.
No freemartin heifers.
On the hunt for another black bull calf.

I hope you find one for less than they're going for down here-woo!

Attachments

• 36BDE99F-2B08-4B05-A5AE-82A14B0ABE94.png
    36BDE99F-2B08-4B05-A5AE-82A14B0ABE94.png
    988.4 KB · Views: 14
I hope you find one for less than they're going for down here-woo!
Calf prices are good right now!
I've considered selling a couple older, colored mamas and their calves.
Problem is, they are heifer calves. But even those prices are decent!

Ya think I should've bought the lil $250 twin heifer? 😆 lil more than I wanna give.

Mr. Ford is a lil piggie! I would be too if all I got was two a day. He will level out.
20220216_071426.jpg

Can't seem to get a good pic of both nursing, but ain't she sofa king A-DOR-ABLE!!!! Harrison still loves me for now. He's a chunk!
20220216_174616.jpg20220216_175017.jpg
Undecided on trying 3 calves this year. 🤔
We will see what comes available I guess.

Forgot to add...
Caught lil Val laying down. She's got a lil white back there by her udder. Her Grandmother on the bull side made great milk too! I'll find a pic...
Here is grandma with her bag o milk...
My sweet Lucy. I really liked her.
Screenshot_20220216-192307_Gallery.jpg
Val's daddy had that spotted white near his testicles too. A pic when he was still a baby... his thread can be found here! And there is pics of his other offspring as well.
Screenshot_20200701-175333_Gallery.jpg
Unfortunately I know nothing about Bessies background.

Last edited:

Latest posts