Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

Super excited!
I'm sure it'll be a week or 2 yet.

Not terrible excited about the bottle calf prices here lately tho. 300 seems to be the new normal...
Saw a few go in the $200+/- range at el reno a few weeks back. (Not dairy lol)

Definitely gets exciting as they get closer! Im expecting our first by Valentines day.

No calf yet.
Last year she waited til after the February blizzard. Hope for the same this year!

And @Hippie Rancher thanks for dropping by! I've thoroughly enjoyed working with Bessie Mae. She is a sweetheart. My new one seems to be as well. Gotta get a bull with her soon tho. Only free rent for so long....

I think Bessie might have taken me serious when I said she could proceed now that the weather has passed....
She's the picture of last year when she calved 3 hours later. In the pen now. Hope for new pictures soon!
Too bad the lil bull I got for her croaked on me. Sale tomorrow. Tho I don't expect there to be ANY sale with this weather.
20220204_161206.jpg20220204_161611.jpg
20220204_161221.jpg

Last edited:
She's not ready yet....
Yep!
I jumped the gun....
Tho she is even springier this morning. And milkier!
She doesn't mind the pen, she knows she will be spoiled. 🤣

What to do. What to do....

Guess I'll just wait

Edited to add.. May 10th is when I have her possibly bred. So she should be due about the middle of February. We all know how that goes....
Screenshot_20220205-085000_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
She ought to spring up better this year; she's in much better condition.
Springy-er? 😆
Yeah. I'm in an all fired hurry as my grandpa would say! Just too excited!!
20220205_093626.jpg20220205_093619.jpg
When I say her leaking yesterday, I just thought "o boy! Here we go!"
I'm expecting a bit more bag yet honestly...

Oh! And as an aside...
I've got that lil 150lb heifer that's eating feed. I may turn her in with Bessie a few days after she calves. Wonder if she will remember how to nurse? I bet she would blossom with milk instead of feed

You are a sucker for a pretty face.
Yep!
He is exactly what I wanted for her this time. Black bull calf.
I didn't even go to the sale! Stayed at work and bid by phone. Nice thing is, I can honestly trust the man that runs Enid sale!
Need to find one more....

And she still needs to calve! 🤣

Bessies belly sure SEEMS low tonight. Lots of movement in there too...
She just don't seem near as wide as past couple days..
20220210_180924.jpg20220210_180812.jpg
I'll try and get a couple pics of Harrison (yes, Harrison. Mr. FORD if u wish) while I bottle him. He gets a bottle til at least 24 hrs after Bessie calves. Her calf gets the colostrum.

He was HUNGRY!!!
Very little effort required. And he downed the whole bottle. No fooling around. Terrible picture, light went away.
Couldn't get a pic of his happy tail either.
Future herd bull here guys! 🤣
That'll stir a few feathers!
20220210_181852.jpg

Last edited:
Bessie's teats still have wrinkles... when they get tight looking there will be a calf soon after... Maybe she is waiting to give you a valentine's day present... if she got bred May 10th, actual due date is Feb 17th... less maybe a day or 2 for a jersey... although they tend to carry the same as a holstein. Guernseys and Brown swiss will go over about 4-7 days from the average due date.

Bessie's teats still have wrinkles... when they get tight looking there will be a calf soon after... Maybe she is waiting to give you a valentine's day present... if she got bred May 10th, actual due date is Feb 17th... less maybe a day or 2 for a jersey... although they tend to carry the same as a holstein. Guernseys and Brown swiss will go over about 4-7 days from the average due date.
Thanks! I've been watching them teats as well. Looking at last year's pics they did seem fuller. But I remember them not smooth like most of my black cows.
I'll wait I guess.....
What else can I do? 😆

As an aside, I passed on an almost twin of Bessie today. She sold for 600
4 year old. 3 months bred

I gotta get some calves sold so I can play again!

Latest posts