They say

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
That God protects fools and little children. I hope that applies to little children of fools. There are two mini vans with out of state plates full of people camping up the canyon a little. Four tents set up. Looks like 6 or 8 little kids. They are in a pretty snakey spot. Yesterday evening I killed a rattler in the road about a quarter mile from where they are camped. 20 minutes later one of my neighbors killed on 100 yards from where I killed that one. It is that time of the year and they are in a spot known for the snake population. I drove by the campers this morning and there was 5 kids dressed in shorts and sandals running through the grass with butterfly nets. I sure hope the snakes stay away.

Says a lot about you Dave that you worry about them. People anymore could care less about others, just watch the news. I would be worried also and probably try to warn them ASAP. Good job.

callmefence said:
If it where my grandkids there wouldn't be a snake left in that canyon and they'd have a jar full of rattle's.

Good luck with that. It was 177 years ago when the first wagon train past through here on the Oregon Trail. People been killing rattle snakes here on a regular basis ever since. That canyon is really remote and terrible rugged. If you were able to kill all the snakes the kids wouldn't have a jar full of rattles. It would be 55 gallon drums full of rattles.

Dave said:
callmefence said:
If it where my grandkids there wouldn't be a snake left in that canyon and they'd have a jar full of rattle's.

Good luck with that. It was 177 years ago when the first wagon train past through here on the Oregon Trail. People been killing rattle snakes here on a regular basis ever since. That canyon is really remote and terrible rugged. If you were able to kill all the snakes the kids wouldn't have a jar full of rattles. It would be 55 gallon drums full of rattles.
No we encourage the kids to get out in the brush, not to be scared to go camping...lol
We've got a cavern on our place that runs a few hundred yards underground. Going in there and getting snakes in the late fall to spring is somewhat of a family tradition. I remember my uncle's getting 80 someodd in one day. Also had a uncle get bit
Not far off a trail either,. The Chisholm.

https://youtu.be/CEtfmcnaYPs

I enjoy a good snake hunt. I got a rattler a week or two ago and about a month but about a month back a copperhead got me.

I took the dead copperhead to the ER and his nerves managed to twitch enough to have him fall out of the plastic bag and onto the floor where it gave a nurse a pretty good scare.

The most I have got on a drive up through the canyon and back was 6. That was 4 on the way up and 2 on the way back. Last spring one of the neighbor kids got 8 on a single pass going up the canyon. Those were all killed on the road. The road runs on the north side of the river. Go out through the weeds on the south side of the river and you can really find a lot of them.

Latest posts