What the heck did I buy…….. they ain’t longhorn corriente or a angus

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd love to have at least 1 brimmer but I'll have to raise it so it understands my temperament and lack of patience. I'm afraid if I bought a grown one it would be a train wreck.

I'd love to have at least 1 brimmer but I'll have to raise it so it understands my temperament and lack of patience.
actually it'll be right the opposite ..they will teach you how to work and handle them..and the lack of patience part ,is what cause folks to bail out on them

Last edited:
When you hear brimmer's are rank you know your talking to someone that hasn't been around to many. Now when you start crossing them it seems like some sorta switch gets tripped.

. . . or someone who learned to work cattle by watching TV, and thinks you're supposed to do a lot of whooping and hollering.

actually it'll be right the opposite ..they will teach you how to work and handle them..and the lack of patience part ,is what cause folks to bail out on them
When we are out on the prairie catching cattle we may circle a group of 100+ mommas in a trap by the hole 6 or 7 times before they decide to go. It's an extremely slow and tedious process. We make slight, slow, movements. If we have to communicate its minimal hand gestures. If you have to talk you talk slow and calm and quietly. Your energy will effect that whole group of cattle.

We do not move or push those cattle... we communicate with our positions and movements where we would like them to go.

I was not there for the train wreck but a cow tried to break out the group and rather than holding the group a newer guy decided to try to cut her back like some competition on TV. He sent the whole group through two barbed wire fences... busted wires, snapped posts, the whole 9.

I was there the next time a couple weeks later after they got them caught again. It was very touch and go with cattle that know they can do that.

It's a totally different world than what people imagine. I've sat for 15 or 20 minutes with 5 or 6 guys guys outlining a group right in front of the hole. Every one dead silent... dead still. Some cows locked on us... some looking back and forth from the gate to us... some with their heads down just hiding in the pile. Then all at once... with out any reason... the whole group piles in.

It's amazing when it all comes together like that. The silent communication between the people and the animals in those instances is fascinating. You can watch the people, the cattle, the horses, all locked in on each other in a stand off looking for any gesture.. to give them a read.. on the other.