What'd he say?

Help Support CattleToday:

I was at a very crowded estate auction with my father 20 or so years ago. One of the first items was an old Handi-man jack that sold for $50.00 to a lady in back. As soon as the bidding stopped she asked in a loud voice "What did I just buy?"

Dad turned to me and said let's go home.

Maybe he works for the salebarn..... Nah, that would never happen. :rolleyes:
At the sale barn I used to sort at. One of the rafters bought more cattle over the years than any other buyer. The barn manager bought under 14 numbers plus x, xx, xxx ect. He always pointed to the corner of the rafter when he was bidding.

At the sale barn I used to sort at. One of the rafters bought more cattle over the years than any other buyer. The barn manager bought under 14 numbers plus x, xx, xxx ect. He always pointed to the corner of the rafter when he was bidding.
Hell, the barns around buy a bunch of em. No hiding it. They just buy em.

Crooked neck cows...
"She just sees the world a lil different than everyone else"

Take her home and give her a try!

Crooked neck cows...

Well after forty years every one knew who was bidding in our barn to. He wouldn't run anybody, but he made sure there was a strong floor in the market.

Lots of great stories, but one of my favorites is of his dad; The fat cattle sale had started for the day. The order buyers were having fun visiting, not really paying attention. Winlow got pissed and announced "The sales over I just bought the rest" Then walked around to the back side of the bleachers flung the door open and yelled "I said the G D sale is over" . He shut the lights off and went on the office . If if was a normal week they probably still had 2-300 fats to sell. They weighed them up after everyone left and he paid the sellers.

Crooked neck cows...

Same here too. They work them, feed a while and sell in bigger lots.

When they're selling take home kinda cows ours will say "she'll be quite a gal" or "boys, there ain't been a prettier one come through today" even though there might've been 10 others he already said that about. "Look here boys, this ones got a bag full of milk". If they're thin, "she just needs some groceries boys, put her good grass and bring her back and make money".

I learned years ago not to listen to or believe anything the auctioneer is saying other than the dollars. Auctioneers will lie to you. So will sale yard owners. The old saying of, "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see." really applies to an auction.

I learned years ago not to listen to or believe anything the auctioneer is saying other than the dollars. Auctioneers will lie to you. So will sale yard owners. The old saying of, "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see." really applies to an auction.

There was an auction in Hockley (which closed years ago), and the owner was also the auctioneer. He was a cattle man, and while he'd sell them, he wasn't too excited about people bringing in other stock.

Once when I was there someone had brought in a horse to sell, and had given him all kinds of information on the horse, but when the horse hit the ring he only mentioned one or two of them, followed by ". . . and whatever other lies he felt like telling. Now let's sell him."

Blanket statement and not always the case.

Sale barn gets my detailed spreadsheet well in advance of the sale because they'll advertise them as early consignments (same guy always buys my calves, but a little competition doesn't hurt). I'm sitting front 'n center and the auctioneer actually reads off their vaccinations. Well, one time he quit after their first round of shots, put the spreadsheet down and said, "Folks, these calves have had everything". And I'm not the only one that provides detailed info as a marketing tool.

Sale barn gets my detailed spreadsheet well in advance of the sale because they'll advertise them as early consignments (same guy always buys my calves, but a little competition doesn't hurt). I'm sitting front 'n center and the auctioneer actually reads off their vaccinations. Well, one time he quit after their first round of shots, put the spreadsheet down and said, "Folks, these calves have had everything". And I'm not the only one that provides detailed info as a marketing tool.
I certainly didn't say wouldn't read any information provided. I even know of sale barns that provide a sheet for you to fill in with all the information. They want that information. I am talking about the random comment in this thread.

After our local barn closed I started going to the barn we use now.
I was selling heifers w/ their first calf at side. I think I had a dozen or so there. They had, had every thing imaginable done to them, but just good commercial heifers not fancy. The auctioneer read what was done when the first group came in. When he was finished reading the sale manager pointed to me and said "Mike, stand up and tell us what we forgot" Those the pairs not only topped the sale, they beat the long time reputation fancy hfrs that sold ahead of them by $150.

I was watching culls sell yesterday; she's lean and mean or Strong and stout kept getting mentioned.

Last night they were selling bred cows, mostly as singles so the packers could get an accurate weight. The auctioneer would announce; Same ride same story as the last one.

Latest posts