I guess he knows what he's doing.

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Just had to pass this story on; A buddy of mine got the luck of sitting at the same table a a fairly renowned vet, recently at a cattlemens banquet. During dinner they were telling stories, this was one of the vets.
We are here in the Midwest, but this vet had a business acquaintance out west. They asked him to come out to their ranch and help preg check 200 bred hfrs. So the vet took time off, booked a flight and arrived at this ranch, eager to get started.
The next morning they started early, first the in the chute. Palp, palp, hmmm; she's a free martin. That's odd, but it happens. Kick her out, next. Palp, palp, hmmm; free martin. What the heck? The vet said the first six were all free martins. He was really starting to question his arm, and getting some odd looks from the cowboys.
Finally the foreman and the ram rod couldn't keep a straight face any more. "Okay, I guess he knows what he's doing, we'll got get the real bred hfrs now! "
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: They really had ran 6 free martins through first just to test this Midwest vet! Talk about shaking your nerve!

Some years ago I was at the local vet clinic and told the doc that he'd missed on one of the heifers he'd palpated for me some months before. He was kinda proud of his accuracy doing those, so he looked surprised. I said "Yeah, you missed by about 2 weeks." He got a good laugh out of that.

I guess the vet saw the humor in it otherwise he would not repeat the story. although he may not have thought it very funny at the time.

"I guess they know what they are doing", reminds me of a story Johnny Carson told about how tough his mother was to please.

He was approaching the height of his fame as King of Late Night television.
NBC had accommodated him by moving his show from the east coast to the west with a huge new contract. Upon arrival they threw a banquet attended by movie stars, in his honor, he was presented with the key to the city and the governor of California declared it Johnny Carson day. Flushed with pride he excitedly called his mother back home in Nebraska to impress her with all of this good news and he claims her only response was a nonchalant, "Well, I guess they know what they are doing." (He said those words and her unenthusiastic response cut him to the quick)

Last edited:
I know a bunch of ranchers and cowboys who would do something similar to that. Both out of humor and to test the new guy out. Only thing that surprised me about the story is that they had kept six free martins around long enough that they would match up size wise with a bunch of bred heifers.

I know a bunch of ranchers and cowboys who would do something similar to that. Both out of humor and to test the new guy out. Only thing that surprised me about the story is that they had kept six free martins around long enough that they would match up size wise with a bunch of bred heifers.
They are good eating. That is a lot of twins though.

Latest posts