The Danger of Green Grass Snakes

Help Support CattleToday:

Chrisy - there's been plenty of snakes on the Emerald Isle over her fair history - every time the English slithered ashore! ;-) ;-)

Lammie":3v4ycfi7 said:
Ryder, really, get some therapy over this snake issue you have. :shock:
Lammie, according to your post of Feb. 9 on the Everything Else Board you talked about your encounter with two snakes and your husband having to shoot at least one of them to rid your surroundings of these frightful creatures.
This incident drove you to :drink: :roll: . Yet you say that "I" need therapy :?: Nothing has driven ME to drink. I am quite capable of getting there on my own.

Snakes eat birds and eggs. I bet you figured this out. They reduce the population of birds, thus decreasing the availability of game that hunters need to provide themselves with food and sport.
They also eat fish. Have you ever pulled up a stringer of fish you have caught with a snake hanging on to them? Disconcerting to say the least.

Worse yet, they eat frogs.
There are reports that the frog population has been decreasing and that the proportion of frogs born malformed has been increasing for some reason. We need to protect frogs.

Frogs eat all manner of insects. They eat crop damaging insects and SPIDERS. Now do you want your hair entangled in a spider web everytime you go into your barn? If you ever use an outdoor "facility",do you want to be anxious wondering if a spider is about to bite you on an exposed area? Have you ever wondered if a spider might be crawling around on your bed while you were asleep? Think about this.

Frogs eat mosquitoes. This is particularly important to us in the Southland. Not only for our pesonal comfort, but because mosquitoes spread the deadly West Nile virus which is a serious concern to the health of humans and horses.

Frogs are nice. Who can look at one of these handsome creatures and not feel a fond affection for it. In fable and literature, think of all the fair young maids who have found their prince and a life of love and happiness just from kissing a frog.

I had planned to put out snake traps. Then I found that the preferred bait was frogs. I abandoned my plans. Far be it from me to sacrifice a frog, a noble creature indeed, to such a horrible fate.

I hope you, Misscamp, and others will give careful thought to my humble remarks and join with me in my crusade.

Down with snakes! Up with frogs, say I :!:

A girl has to kiss a few frogs, before she catches her true Prince Charming.....I like the humble creature, but I also like snakes, I find them facinating, the way they move and how they are warm and smooth not cold and slimmy, also how they eat their food and the way you can see it going down. BUT I like them most because they eat SPIDERS.

Crowderfarms":22zlly08 said:
Snakes are great creatures. The eat Insects, Mice, etc. I've always liked catching them, as long as I can identify them to be non-venomous.Too many of them are killed by folks that are scared of them, for no reason.
You just got my vote. Lets send one to that cigar smoken Clinton family.

There are only two species of snakes...DEAD and DEADLY! :shock: I make every attempt to increase the first species...

Van

charter capt":3uax8j8n said:
All snakes are poisoness

how do ya work that one out.....I have a good recipe for Python Pie.. :lol:

Paua Sup (Power Soup) First, catch your snake. This should be a python. Tie the snake to a pole and while still alive, skin and remove excess fat. Remove the gall bladder and keep for other culinary/medical purposes. Chop the snake into one inch lengths and place in a pot of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-4 hours. When cooking is complete, discard the water. (Boil the head of the snake separately, the liquid is useful as a remedy against choking.) Meanwhile, prepare separately stock from a chicken (an old one) and/or pork scraps, onion, chili, salt and pepper. While this is cooking, skim off the fat and discard. Cook for 3-4 hours, let cool and remove all extraneous elements. Prepare also a herb soup of abika cabbage and a large quantity of ginger. Combine all ingredients and reheat. As an optional extra, brandy may be added.

I think I would drink the brandy first, nothing like being drunk to try things. :frowns: :drink: hic.

chrisy":6jio7rv9 said:
Tie the snake to a pole and while still alive, skin and remove excess fat.

Chrisy, I'm not a big fan of snakes either, but I can't imagine doing this to anything!

Ryder":skmflipg said:
Lammie":skmflipg said:
Ryder, really, get some therapy over this snake issue you have. :shock:
Lammie, according to your post of Feb. 9 on the Everything Else Board you talked about your encounter with two snakes and your husband having to shoot at least one of them to rid your surroundings of these frightful creatures.
This incident drove you to :drink: :roll: . Yet you say that "I" need therapy :?: Nothing has driven ME to drink. I am quite capable of getting there on my own.

Snakes eat birds and eggs. I bet you figured this out. They reduce the population of birds, thus decreasing the availability of game that hunters need to provide themselves with food and sport.
They also eat fish. Have you ever pulled up a stringer of fish you have caught with a snake hanging on to them? Disconcerting to say the least.

Worse yet, they eat frogs.
There are reports that the frog population has been decreasing and that the proportion of frogs born malformed has been increasing for some reason. We need to protect frogs.

Frogs eat all manner of insects. They eat crop damaging insects and SPIDERS. Now do you want your hair entangled in a spider web everytime you go into your barn? If you ever use an outdoor "facility",do you want to be anxious wondering if a spider is about to bite you on an exposed area? Have you ever wondered if a spider might be crawling around on your bed while you were asleep? Think about this.

Frogs eat mosquitoes. This is particularly important to us in the Southland. Not only for our pesonal comfort, but because mosquitoes spread the deadly West Nile virus which is a serious concern to the health of humans and horses.

Frogs are nice. Who can look at one of these handsome creatures and not feel a fond affection for it. In fable and literature, think of all the fair young maids who have found their prince and a life of love and happiness just from kissing a frog.

I had planned to put out snake traps. Then I found that the preferred bait was frogs. I abandoned my plans. Far be it from me to sacrifice a frog, a noble creature indeed, to such a horrible fate.

I hope you, Misscamp, and others will give careful thought to my humble remarks and join with me in my crusade.

Down with snakes! Up with frogs, say I :!:
I'm with you on this one.

chrisy":2749nx15 said:
charter capt":2749nx15 said:
All snakes are poisoness

Paua Sup (Power Soup) First, catch your snake. This should be a python. Tie the snake to a pole and while still alive, skin and remove excess fat. Remove the gall bladder and keep for other culinary/medical purposes. Chop the snake into one inch lengths and place in a pot of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-4 hours. When cooking is complete, discard the water. (Boil the head of the snake separately, the liquid is useful as a remedy against choking.) Meanwhile, prepare separately stock from a chicken (an old one) and/or pork scraps, onion, chili, salt and pepper. While this is cooking, skim off the fat and discard. Cook for 3-4 hours, let cool and remove all extraneous elements. Prepare also a herb soup of abika cabbage and a large quantity of ginger. Combine all ingredients and reheat. As an optional extra, brandy may be added.

I think I would drink the brandy first, nothing like being drunk to try things. :frowns: :drink: hic.

Definitely drink the brandy first. Considerable quantities.

Pythons are in short supply around here, so I'll not be trying this recipe soon. But if I get the chance, why the heck am I saving the gall bladder?

Ryder, I will have to respectfully decline on your invitation to join your crusade to wipe out snakes. I do, however, respect the fact that you hate them, and acknowledge your right to do so.

john250":38ynepyi said:
chrisy":38ynepyi said:
charter capt":38ynepyi said:
All snakes are poisoness

Definitely drink the brandy first. Considerable quantities.

Pythons are in short supply around here, so I'll not be trying this recipe soon. But if I get the chance, why the heck am I saving the gall bladder?

I have no Idea, the recipe came from a cook book from Papa New Guinea, that I got on my travels. I know the Python to be a rare snake and would never suggest to use the recipe or skin a live snake that would be cruel, it was meant as a joke.

chrisy":3rwsdc1e said:
Crowderfarms":3rwsdc1e said:
Chrisy, Dont they consider Roaches a delicacy there too?

quite so I have just posted a few of the recipes, for every ones delight, and there is on for these on there.

Chrisy, I'd love to get that Roach recipe. I was just wonderin' how there's anything left to cook after a shoe mashes them. Do they taste like Chicken? :shock: There's these two brothers down the Holler from here that look like they need some groceries. I'm sure they'd be grateful to you.

loved the story!! :lol: :lol:

about the snakes however?? i work in a pet shop, has anyone ever held a snake? i have, they are pretty cool 8) 8) i'd like to have one someday, however, my mom feels about them like you :( :( so i won't be getting one any time soon.. :( :( ;-)

Crowderfarms":3se806n2 said:
chrisy":3se806n2 said:
Crowderfarms":3se806n2 said:
Chrisy, Dont they consider Roaches a delicacy there too?

quite so I have just posted a few of the recipes, for every ones delight, and there is on for these on there.

Chrisy, I'd love to get that Roach recipe. I was just wonderin' how there's anything left to cook after a shoe mashes them. Do they taste like Chicken? :shock: There's these two brothers down the Holler from here that look like they need some groceries. I'm sure they'd be grateful to you.

the recipe is on Alice the second one is for you post. never tasted one and don't think I ever will.

mustangkoda":1azpmc2j said:
loved the story!! :lol: :lol:

about the snakes however?? i work in a pet shop, has anyone ever held a snake? i have, they are pretty cool 8) 8) i'd like to have one someday, however, my mom feels about them like you :( :( so i won't be getting one any time soon.. :( :( ;-)

I used to own two Pythons Dylan and Alice....Dylan was a female African Python and Alice was a male Indian Python, I know we sexed them wrong when we got them and I refused to change their names around. They lived for quite sometime, when I split up with my First Husband he took them. and his new partner was not keen on them, and I am sure she did something, as it was not to long before they were both dead.

Latest posts