The burl video

Help Support CattleToday:

I know the video is not a great DIY video. But if you're handy with a chainsaw I think you'll get it. It may spark a idea that improves my idea. Husband says he has a big root ball he wants to use this on. It would be perfect on a root ball.

Pretty clever country engineering. Would love to see the finished products.

Magnifico. How will you finish the surface? I assume that some of the highs and lows need to be planed down somehow.

Linda, is that your husband in the blue cape shirt?

That's our son. My husband is the guy with the hazmat mask on..
I think it went into the kiln today. I have a hand planer I can even the tops out, although they are pretty good except where its doty. We plunged the saw into the doty part and the saw walked a little as it started, but when it hit hard wood it straightened out. I may cut out the doty part, which is the original part of the tree, or if it dries hard, i'll put resin in it.

wbvs58":3u3hz5sc said:
V interesting. So what happens now?

Ken
Its in the kiln. I'm guessing it will stay in there a couple weeks. Then, we'll see how much checking it did and how the doty part dried... We're planning to make a dining room table out of it. Maybe even a kitchen bar. There is a lot of wood there. Our son in law makes knives, he'll get all the scraps.

I bet those will make some awesome tabletops and stool tops. You might have already said, but how thick are the slices?

It would be really cool to make a toilet seat out of some, both the part you sit on and the lid you flip down. Honestly that might be a million dollar idea, I know I'd buy one.

ohiosteve":1n1gsfn5 said:
I bet those will make some awesome tabletops and stool tops. You might have already said, but how thick are the slices?
The first few smaller ones we cut at 3 inches. The bigger ones are 4 inchs thick. We have around 1/3rd of the burl left to cut up but will wait to see how the slabs we got dry.....

Latest posts