Sydenstricker Genetics (Sydgen) Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
Great set of cattle in Mexico MO this past weekend. The trip up was the worst we have ever endured, rain, snow, black ice. The weather didnt clear until we got 50 miles from Mexico, a 13 hr trip took 17 hours. :mad: The pens were muddy and nasty so I didnt look at anything that I didnt have to.

Gross $1,959,250 Average $5037
Fall Yearling Bulls (70) Averaged $5941
Spring Bull Calves (62) $5,008
Fall Yearling Heifers (94) $6139
Spring Heifer Calves (43) $4170
Fall Pairs (59) $4807
Bred Heifers (34) $3106
Bred Cows (25) $3396
Steers (2) $1175

High Selling Female
Lot 2 $94,000 Fall Yearling Heifer by Sydgen Express

High Selling Bull
Lot 24 $24,000 Spring Bull Calf by SF Speedway

I saw lots of bulls and a few of the females if anyone wants any info on the lots. The enhance progeny were very well accepted. I thought the Rockstar cattle were very very good as a group.

Thoughts on Fate? I was going to buy Enhance semen for this spring but opted to try a couple others since we've mated to similar $B, CED bulls. Trying to gain some balance. Haven't heard of Rockstar but I'll have to take a look.

Travel conditions can really make for a bad trip. Glad you're safe.

Scott

Did you use Enhance this year. I had three by him,born last week of September. Nothing special early on but are looking better every day. Also I had one heifer calf from Black Diamond that looks really good so far. I missed most of the sale but I thought there was an Enhance sired bull that also sold for $24000 but I may be mistaken. I thought a lot of the 9-11 month heifers went really cheap $1000-$1300.

Fate was actually there on site. Didnt get a great look at him because he was in a pen you couldnt see him move much but feet looked good.

I never used fate, used black diamond instead from the same year. BD was just more powerful on sale day. Fate has done a good job on the ratios on his progeny. Fate is a bull I should have used but I am small and I used his sire (trust) a bunch. The enhance's will DNA better than most sires for WW YW CW Marbl REA. BW and CED are more dam dependant. His sire (Exceed) might be the best bull I have ever seen for CW, Marb, REA on DNA but the DNA on the growth numbers are up and down. I have seen enought fate cattle to know you should be happy with them. Fate isnt a big bull, but frame seems be about normal.

Rockstar is a big powerful bull, probably the most phenotypically impressive yearling bull I have ever seen. powerful and moved so easy for a 1500 lb yearling bull. The rockstars struggle to marble but have a very pleasing phenotype. Find one that ultrasounds for marbling and you have something. Probably looks alot like SAV cattle with more frame. Rockstar will be pretty and round in their muscle pattern.

Fate is more moderate, better at scanning than rockstar, not quite as round in his muscle pattern. Scans well, growth is good. Feet are good on the fate cattle.

Enhance will probably add some frame to most cattle, great scanning bull, growth is good to great, DNA's really well. Feet are good on the Enhances.

To let you know what I normally use

My AI list this Fall
Sydgen Black Diamond (5th year)
Sydgen Wake up Call (6th year) CC&7s maternal brother
Sydgen Enhance (1st year)
Oneills Lucky Boy ( 7th year)
Deer Valley All in (2nd year)
GAR Sure Fire ( 1st year)

blacksnake":1b69kg21 said:
I thought a lot of the 9-11 month heifers went really cheap $1000-$1300.
No the report says yearling heifers averaged $6,139. Or do you think the 1 for $94,000 skewed the values? LOL :)
Sale Average reports that don't throw out the extremes are as useless as teats on a boar.

Blacksnake,
you will like the black diamonds, I probably have some of the oldest Black diamonds outside of the owners and I love them. Might be the best bull I have used in 10 years. round muscled, really good growth. I have a 3 yr old cow that I love, think she is the best young cow on the place.

The heifers got cheap but the local market had such a tough winter/summer last year..

Using Enhance for the first time this fall. Excited about the possiblities.

There was an Enhance fall calf at 24000 (lot 67). The speedway brought 25000. Sorry I messed that up.. I was sitting next to the back up bidder on both bulls.

Yes a few of the fall bulls were pearl sons, and pearl daughters are appearing in the pedigree of the high sellers..

I think the Sydenstricker people do one of the best jobs around in regards to information provided to buyers. On most lots of younger animals they supply DNA results, ultrasound results, frame score, sale day weight and ALWAYS announce any issues a particular animal may have. Lots of interesting tidbits of information scattered throughout their catalog.

Ken,
The enhance cattle will be cleaner fronted than the pearls. I think the Pearl's will have a touch more volume. The enhance cattle should scan and DNA better.
We have used sydgen bulls since 2001, never had a bad one, some have been better than others. I went up there looking for a more moderate high marbling bull to compliment the bull we have now and found plenty of bulls to fit my ideal of what I wanted. We settled on a blacksmith son out of a googol daughter that is pretty well an outcrops for us. Lot 10c.

Blacksnake,
I thought I share a few pictures of some black diamond females. Here is the oldest one 3 yrs old this fall. Had a full sister born here this fall that I am excited about. Dam is an Oneills Lucky Boy daughter.

Yearling heifer Dam is a Trust daughter.

Calf Dam is a Connealy Forward daughter

Beautiful cattle,that 3 year old is really really nice.That 10c bull looks awesome as well,and great performance numbers,hope he works out well for you.

Thanks Frank, I hope yours works out too. 10th bull we have used from sydgen, all have worked some better than others..
Thanks 76bar, ben does a nice catalog. He puts a bunch of time into it every year. I enjoy seeing the non sale cattle when I am there. He runs his cattle harder than we do.

Latest posts