Square baler

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":293av8n8 said:
I might be wrong, but doesn't an IH baler just pull the string over the knife to cut it? Or does it have a knife that actually sweeps and cuts the twine? I believe it's something simple wrong with this baler. Like string catching on something or the bales are too tight.
IH balers have a stationary twine knife. When my IH acts up (bales break from one side) it is usually the knot coming untied from too much compression in the chamber. This gets worse as the baler ages because there are pieces of metal with louvers stamped in them in the bale chamber to keep the hay from "breathing back" between plunger strokes, and they wear out. My IH balers are quite old and I have never had a tying problem due to the twine knife, assuming it's position is properly set. Also you should make sure that there is enough tension on the twine as it comes out of the twine box.

IH the string just pulls over the knife. Knife could be bent had that to happen once. Could be dull. Also if the bale is not comming out straight could be one side of tension could be tighter than the other. Oh yeah Knife on mine was riveted had a rivet pop and knife swung to the side. Hope some of this helps.

well none of that worked i broke more stuff doing that then i did leaving it along so dont no what to do with it but i am going to sell it.... Thanks for all yall replies and help ... JAson

I hope you were not trying to do adjustments while powered by the tractor. You have to manually turn the thing to do adjustments. If it is under power you are very likely to break stuff while trying to do adjustments not to mention crushed fingers and stuff.

no i wasnt ajusting on it wile it was going i just put a new cutter on it and greesed it up good and every thing started to break on so im just going to sell it bec its so old and im tyred of fulling with it its a pain in the but f u want to no the truth about it bec i have been working on it sence jun and still ant o it fixed yet so im just going to go buy a good used one out of the trader or a tractor store thanks for all the awnsers yall gave me and replyes... Jason

is a mccormick square baler any good and can u still buy parts from them and can u get the parts for them in a case store or were do you have to go to buy parts for it THanks Jason

Don't know about McCormick balers. Saw one once. Don't know if/where you get parts. Someone here might. I use an old NH and New Holland still sells all the parts for them.

Yes. New Holland. You can always find parts. Maybe if you're lucky you'll find someone that's retiring and that has kept it in the dry.... keeping the baler inside is the key to its lifespan.

The Show Maker":3v143lad said:
is a mccormick square baler any good and can u still buy parts from them and can u get the parts for them in a case store or were do you have to go to buy parts for it THanks Jason
A McCormick baler is basically what you got now. A 430 IH is a newer version of the old McCormick I think. I was thinking about your trouble and was wondering if you have dug all the hay out of the bale chamber and traced the twine from the twine box all the way through. I recall years ago hearing about a 430 that had worn a groove where the twine ran across into the bale chamber. It would catch the twine and break more bales than it tied. A little welding and a side grinder fixed that as I remember. I know it's frustrating, but I still think you can fix this baler. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

yea i have tryed that and there was nothing wrong with the twine box or were it was coming loses it some were between the knotters and the cutters so i really dont no but i need an updated baler any way bec i can buy parts for an updated on and this one i got i cant find no parts for it..Jason