speaking of old pharts, a question...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Anyone remember what a tow sack is? When I make reference to one, people look at me like I've lost my mind. Am I really that old? Don't answer that...

Extra points if you can tell me three uses for a tow sack after the original contents have been emptied.

Holding pecans, taters or nuts and bolts. Good camoflage for deer stands too. About as many uses for these as there is for duct tape.

My aunt, back in the late sixties, started making flowers with them. I don't know how and none exist now.

If you had a hen that would not stop brooding in the summer, just sitting and not eating or drinking, you put them in a tow sack, hung it on the clothes line and doused her with water in the sack. That's my dad's contribution. I was supposed to make the hen snap out of it, I guess. I tried it once. Just pizzed off the hen.

Sack races.

But Jogee, what material were they made of???

And for those of you that are really really young, a clothes line was something you used to dry clothing by hanging it up there with wooden objects called "clothes pins". Like a dryer, only slower.

Jeez, you never see a clothes line anymore in homes that are less than thirty years old.

How about making dresses, shirts and underware from chicken feed and flour sacks. Some women used them for feminum napkins, you probably didn't need to know that.

cowboy43":8zruqcol said:
How about making dresses, shirts and underware from chicken feed and flour sacks. Some women used them for feminum napkins, you probably didn't need to know that.
nope,,, and i didnt want to either, just a tad more info then i cared to hear :cowboy:

Back when I was a kid, almost everyone around here called them "croaker sacks"; others used the term "gunny sack".

I had quite a few shirts made from the colorful cloth sacks that chicken mash came in. Very little of anything was wasted back in those days.

Lammie":1x8jhpkm said:
Anyone remember what a tow sack is? When I make reference to one, people look at me like I've lost my mind. Am I really that old? Don't answer that...

Extra points if you can tell me three uses for a tow sack after the original contents have been emptied.

Lammie not to steal from your thread, but have you ever heard of a poke or poke sack? Grandmother would tell me to get me a poke and she would put me a mess of beans in it. Those were the good ol days!

Auburn_Ag":225m10al said:
Lammie":225m10al said:

Lammie not to steal from your thread, but have you ever heard of a poke or poke sack? Grandmother would tell me to get me a poke and she would put me a mess of beans in it. Those were the good ol days!
thats one im more familiar with

Auburn_Ag":1lhi2bj1 said:
Lammie":1lhi2bj1 said:

Never heard of that.....cept on Lonesome Dove.

TexasBred":ngv2lf3g said:
Auburn_Ag":ngv2lf3g said:
Lammie":ngv2lf3g said:

Never heard of that.....cept on Lonesome Dove.
:lol: ol gus... i dont want to cut jake out i just want a poke

alacattleman":2qwmwy5d said:
Auburn_Ag":2qwmwy5d said:
Lammie":2qwmwy5d said:

thats one im more familiar with

ALA i knew you would know! :clap:

That is the idea Lammie. You piss the hen off so much that she doesn't want to sit any more and goes back to laying eggs.

I think you are referring to what we call a hessian bag. I used to use them to put on underneath a rug if the horse was wet. The hessian soaks up the water and then comes out and the horse is dry with a rug on.

We used to get lucerne chaff in them. I have heard that you do not feed chaff is that true? We don't getr them in hessian bags any more. Big plastic bags now.

We still have a clothes line. We hand up our clothes soaking wet to drip dry. Then they don't have to be ironed. My mum hasn't ironed since before I was born and I have never ironed.

Lammie not to steal from your thread, but have you ever heard of a poke or poke sack? Grandmother would tell me to get me a poke and she would put me a mess of beans in it. Those were the good ol days![/quote]

Never heard of that.....cept on Lonesome Dove.[/quote] :lol: ol gus... i dont want to cut jake out i just want a poke[/quote]

Some how i knew I would get a quote from Lonesome Dove. :D

Lammie":ubzuz7in said:
But Jogee, what material were they made of???

The most common around here was made of burlap. We still use these with pecans. Also remember another that I think was made with heavy canvas. This was used more for guana (fertilizer) hence we mostly call them gunney sacks or guinney sacks than coy sacks here. It came in 100 lbs bags. I keep a roll of burlap in the barn. It comes in useful. Had heard of people making clothes out of them but seems like this would be clothing more for penance than comfort.

TexasBred":3abg0ow3 said:
Lammie it's also called a burlap bag but we always called it a toe sack. Here's a link I found about it. You might check at Dallas Bag and Burlap for some.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4600964_wh ... -made.html

We always called them toe sacks, too. Supposed to be short for potatoe, I think. I remember them well. Came in handy around the farm and they lasted for years.

Back in them Missouri hills as a young feller I used toe sacks to carry coons,possums and tree rats home in.

Cal

Lammie":1puauxsz said:

Too hard to narrow it down to just 3, but most uses came down to the categorys of toting, covering and stuffing.

Latest posts