speaking of old pharts, a question...

Help Support CattleToday:

Remember how burlap smells? The tow sacks I can remember were made of berlap. Too rough to do do a lot with other than toting around other stuff. Certainly not good for clothing. My sister made my first halloween costume from a pink flour sack. I was a piglet. I can always just remember having tons of burlap sacks around.

heck yeah i remember toe sacks.we used to get feed in 100lb toe sacks.an that was in the early 70s.

bigbull338":3ia3ltpr said:
heck yeah i remember toe sacks.we used to get feed in 100lb toe sacks.an that was in the early 70s.
That's something that cracks me up, I don;t know when it started but feed used to be in 100 pound sacks now it's 50 pound bags.

Dun, I always wondered why they price everything at 100 lbs at the farm service but sell it in 50 lb bags. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm glad they left it alone at 50 pounds. Everything else is shrinking. Ice cream isn't 1/2 gallon anymore. Canned goods aren't 1 lb anymore. Coffee isn't a 3 lb can anymore. And so on. Apparently the agricultural customer isn't as big a pushover as the rest of America.

The cloth sacks were before my time but I have seen some. There was both very rough and loosely woven burlap and also a finer, softer weave cotton that had patterns printed on it. I think it was the softer cloth that was recycled into clothing. At least I hope so.

Hi MO-cow
When i was 7or8 years old I remember wearing flour sack shirts to school. Most of them had some kind of cartoon person printed on them I guess that was early recycle I am 67 now Thanks for making me remember
Bluegoose1
George

alacattleman":2qs1cmzr said:
i know you heard "hope" used instead of "help" like , help quick somebody hope me
Didn't know there was anybody but me left that remembered "hope".

Something I think maybe I invented is "kiver" for "cover". Like, "it's cold. I am going to get under the "kiver".
It's just easier to say than "cover". Try it and you will see what I mean.

Arnold Ziffle":1b1bz4u9 said:
Back when I was a kid, almost everyone around here called them "croaker sacks"; others used the term "gunny sack".

I had quite a few shirts made from the colorful cloth sacks that chicken mash came in. Very little of anything was wasted back in those days.
I have one old school pic when I was probably in the 6-7th grade.....3 of the boys in the pic were all wearing idential "chicken feed sack" shirts. :lol2: :lol2:

A word people don't use much any more is a mess. Mess of fish. Mess of peas. Seems it was a non quantifiable measure dependent totally on the user's discretion. I like the word and wish it were used more often.

Jogeephus":12sc9nep said:
A word people don't use much any more is a mess. Mess of fish. Mess of peas. Seems it was a non quantifiable measure dependent totally on the user's discretion. I like the word and wish it were used more often.
they still use it here,

Jogeephus":18bh2pwx said:
A mess of trouble.
Some people on the boards can't be satisfied until they have created a mess.

Jogeephus":2b3gpmn2 said:
I cut my dad a mess of Poke the last time he was here
I also got him a couple messes of water cress

Jogeephus":2p0y1sp7 said:
Folks use "mess" around here too...fish and almost all veggies. And potatoes from the garden are 'new"....all other veggies are "fresh">..WHY????

Red Bull Breeder":1bkuqx3a said:
They is new taters cause you had done eat all the old taters from last year.
hahahaha...smarty...was that "eat" or "et"?? guess I know the answer now. :dunce:

And for those of you that are really really young, a clothes line was something you used to dry clothing by hanging it up there with wooden objects called "clothes pins". Like a dryer, only slower.
and if you live in England they are called 'Clothes pegs' and made out of plastic now.
as for the tow bag question....
Probably because it is made of tow which are the waste fibers of flax or hemp that you don't use for making proper cloth.
It is a potato sack here and used for lots of things afterwards. and clean ones are used for sack races.

Latest posts