Some Red angus Cows(pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

I don;t even try to make those kinds of decisions this time of year. In the early fall or in the spring, but this time of year no matter how good they are they all pretty much look crappy. It's hard to tell much with the quality of the feed and the woolybooger look.

dun

RedAngus121":3eolobq6 said:
RedAngus121":3eolobq6 said:
What do you think of this Heifer should we keep her as a Replacement or send here to the feedlot?
She has allready been De-wormed and is far from green but shes not fat. Just wondering how you could call her green just from looking at the picture? it would be differnt if you could count her ribs. Then i would understand it.
You are the one that posted the picture, so that's all I have to go on, unless you want to load her up and haul her over here for me to look at her in living flesh.She definitely doesn't look thrifty. Maybe your worm medicine hasn't had a chance to work on her yet. She has rough hair. You are the one that posted the picture and want our opinions on the hfr. She is looking pretty thin to me, and I have never seen a fat green steer or hfr.
Do what you want with her. :p

From the picture:

The heifer looks "rough", but that could be a result of several things. Consider these possibilities: LA4 Angus mentioned the possibility of worms. What is her age? Has she been on a mineral supplement as part of her dietary program? What is she being fed at the present time? What kind of a producer is her dam? What are her EPD's? Did her dam calve easily?

Phenotypically she looks to be a fine example of a Red Angus heifer. No outstanding faults that I can detect from this picture.

In considering whether to retain her as a replacement, she should be able to be an improvement over what you have at the present time. That determination should be made by looking at her Phenotype AND her EPD's, and deciding if she will fit into your long-term herd program.

Has she had her shots yet? Health considerations are vital before you start planning her future - whatever it may be.

DOC HARRIS

We calf around 30 to 40 head in the fall. The rest of them are calfed in the spring. The Black Calfs in the picture are late august/early september. The Reds and char are October. The Neighbers black bull got in :x

We bought these bred heifers after trying to buy yours lazy ace :cboy:

RedAngus121 she looks like a typical heifer dealing with the typical "freeze or mudpit" illinois winter. Have you got something seeded in with the cornstalks?

4-JGFarms we have "Clean out wheat" drilled in threw the corn stalks. The Elevator gave it to us for free. It was great this year because had little hay because of the drought. So it saved us big time. We have had 150 cows on it for a bout 2 months with out a pound of hay or feed.

I like the heifer. I wouldn't expect her to look like a show heifer right now but she would surely have a home in my herd. I do,however, prefer black. That neighbor's black bull just added a little value to your herd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do,however, prefer black. That neighbor's black bull just added a little value to your herd.
Mosho -

With no inference intended, or conclusions achieved - please explain what you mean by "black". Is it a 'nickname' for Angus? Or is it just because "any bull" might happen to be "Black"? Is "Black" a color - or is "Black" a Breed?

And while we are on the subject of "Black", how did the neighbor's bull add a little (?) value to his herd? Because he was an Angus Bull - or - because he was a "Black" bull? Are we to arbitrarily assume that every "Black" bull is a "Value-
Added" bull? Or - are we to assume that because a bull is "Black" he will add a "little" value to a herd? Or are we to assume that the only way to add a "little value" to a herd is by the use of a "Black" bull? And this brings us back to the operative question, "Is 'Black' a color - or is 'Black' a Breed?"

Interrelated Question ;-) What is(are) your opinion(s) of the "Irish Black" Breed?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":14q6ewbt said:
I do,however, prefer black. That neighbor's black bull just added a little value to your herd.
Mosho -

With no inference intended, or conclusions achieved - please explain what you mean by "black". Is it a 'nickname' for Angus? Or is it just because "any bull" might happen to be "Black"? Is "Black" a color - or is "Black" a Breed?

And while we are on the subject of "Black", how did the neighbor's bull add a little (?) value to his herd? Because he was an Angus Bull - or - because he was a "Black" bull? Are we to arbitrarily assume that every "Black" bull is a "Value-
Added" bull? Or - are we to assume that because a bull is "Black" he will add a "little" value to a herd? Or are we to assume that the only way to add a "little value" to a herd is by the use of a "Black" bull? And this brings us back to the operative question, "Is 'Black' a color - or is 'Black' a Breed?"

Interrelated Question ;-) What is your opinion(s) of the "Irish Black" Breed?

DOC HARRIS
I take that as a tongue in cheek remark....kinda like happens here in Alabama when I, as an Auburn grad, tell someone wearing the crimson and white of the University of Alabama that they'd sure improve their appearance by donning the Tigers' orange and blue!

Hey Doc, The reference to the black bull was a JOKE. It's okay, I like red too. Just my poor attempt at humor I guess. :roll:

For what it is worth: To me Black is a color: Angus is a breed. As to my comment about the neighbor's black bull adding value to the Red Angus herd was again just a poor attempt at humor. I am not so naive as to really believe that just anything black has value. I happen to prefer the Angus breed and I also prefer the Black color. I do not believe black arbitrarily adds value to a herd. These Red Angus cows and calves are very nice. I also see some black ones in there that look pretty good to me as well as I can see from the pictures.

As for my opinion on "Irish Black", I don't have one. I don't know anything about them at all.

Black Irish and Black Dutch is a name for Europeans who came to the States , settled in the Carolinas, married with the Cherokees and produced offspring that were darker than the Dutch and Irish, but not as dark as the Native Americans, As for as Irish black, I haven't heard of them as a people group or a breed of Cattle. Just ignorance on my part, I guess.
Bud

Bud In lower Ala":8qhliodi said:
Black Irish and Black Dutch is a name for Europeans who came to the States , settled in the Carolinas, married with the Cherokees and produced offspring that were darker than the Dutch and Irish, but not as dark as the Native Americans, As for as Irish black, I haven't heard of them as a people group or a breed of Cattle. Just ignorance on my part, I guess.
Bud
Bud-
Irish Black is a breed of Beef Cattle. Check them out on the CattleToday green left pane under Breeds of Cattle.

Hmmmmm! I just checked on the Green Pane - and Irish Black is not there! I think it used to be! But do a "SEARCH" on Google or DogPile. I'll bet you will find them there!

I just found this link: http://www.irishblacks.com/

DOC HARRIS

Bud In lower Ala":25bli5h7 said:
Thanks Doc. I had never heard of Irish Blacks. They look good. How is it that they are not very well known in the deep south?
Bud :?: :?:
Bud-

Click on the website quoted above on Irish Blacks, and read the rather extensive but VERY educational information on them. He explains why they are not well known. It really will open your eyes :shock: and make you mutter in your dreams!! The information and facts on the Aubrac Breed that were the topic of discussion a few weeks ago falls in the same catagory! And I am looking at them from a strictly educational point of view. I am not selling Irish Blacks, but I think that it wouldn't be very difficult to do! Read their web pages with an open mind!

DOC HARRIS

DOC, Indeed some good info on that website. Maybe you can answer a couple questions I have about same. If they are 99.8% Friesian, how did they end up black? I thought Friesians are colored about the same as a Holstein. Secondly, why is this breed not mentioned in Irish A.I. catalogs, and why isn't there an Irish Black class at the big Irish shows such as Limerick? Breed insn't mentioned on the OK State website either. I'm confused. Boone

boone":25h5hgqk said:
DOC, Indeed some good info on that website. Maybe you can answer a couple questions I have about same. If they are 99.8% Friesian, how did they end up black? I thought Friesians are colored about the same as a Holstein. Secondly, why is this breed not mentioned in Irish A.I. catalogs, and why isn't there an Irish Black class at the big Irish shows such as Limerick? Breed insn't mentioned on the OK State website either. I'm confused. Boone
So am I, Boone. The only thing I know about them is what is on that website. I started to email the two gentlemen and ask about where the Black originated, and the cat came in the Den and informed me that Ruthie was rattling dishes, so - - -! (You may think that I am kidding about the cat. Because I have been a care-giver for several months and did all of the domestic good-stuff, she (the cat) thinks it is my full-time job :( )

The breed, according to the two breeders on this website, have a closed herd, and don't advertise much. They sell all that they can produce - I guess there is no need to spend $$$ advertising. But it is an interesting breed, and darned good phenotype.

DOC HARRIS

Sounds as if the breed name Irish Black is more of a trademarked name for their high percentage friesen cattle (they also have Irish Reds).. How they got soild reds or black I would imagine would involve the cows they used to produce the first F1 and probably in turn did their best to select for soild coat colors in all the offspring the chose to keep.. No matter, they are an interesting set of cattle, have seen info on them from time to time but have never heard of anyone who has given them a try..

Latest posts