So Long, My Old Friend

Help Support CattleToday:

I just found this thread and I am so sorry, Don, Dun was a friend that guided me with my cattle and will be missed. May God's peace be with his family.

RIP Dunn. He will certainly be missed in the CT community.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Bad news. Sorry for his family. He is at peace. He was one of the guys here that was always respectful and had advice to offer. For that I was thankful. That glimpse into his character showed a decent man.

Really hate to see this. Dun was knowledgeable and kind enough to share what he knew in a way that wasn't condescending but helpful. Just a good ol' guy, who I'm certainly going to miss.

I had a friend (gone now) who could walk into a room full of Governors or a room full of garbage men and by the end of the night every one of them would think he was their new best friend. Dun struck me the same way and I mean that as a 100% compliment.

I pray his wife and family will find comfort in their many fond memories of him.

We've lost an amazing resource. A good friend. An unbiased judge.
6 pages of tributes to an honorable life.
Thank You Dun. God Bless you.

I don't guess we ever got along that good. But that doesn't mean I don't have the greatest respect for you Dun. I will definitely miss your wisdom and I want you to know I learned a great deal from you. Thanks for everything you did.

Fenceman

boondocks":2t29na26 said:
It's very weird not to log into CT and see his posts. Anyone else feeling the same way? :(

Almost daily. Monday, I had driven down to Springfield, MO, and as I was driving near where he lived, I sure was thinking a lot of him. Never had the chance to meet him, but sure wish I would have.

Not quite a month since we received the news about Dun. I did not know him, had never talked to him but for some reason I can't seem to get the sadness and feeling of loss out of my head. I do not think this is a natural reaction and wondered if anyone else was having similar thoughts?

melking":2gkjqpul said:
Not quite a month since we received the news about Dun. I did not know him, had never talked to him but for some reason I can't seem to get the sadness and feeling of loss out of my head. I do not think this is a natural reaction and wondered if anyone else was having similar thoughts?

I think these are new times we are living in, when a person can feel like they travelled a bit along life's road even without having met someone. So, yes, I think sadness and a feeling of loss are natural....especially for a guy who was easy to like and so far as I ever saw, tried hard to treat everyone fairly...

melking":30k2kpja said:
His spirit lives on. ;-)

boondocks":3iy2dq9a said:
melking":3iy2dq9a said:

I think these are new times we are living in, when a person can feel like they travelled a bit along life's road even without having met someone. So, yes, I think sadness and a feeling of loss are natural....especially for a guy who was easy to like and so far as I ever saw, tried hard to treat everyone fairly...

I have had that feeling now for nearly a month. Wondering how to put into words. A man I never met yet I knew him for over 15 years. I never talked to him yet I referred to him as my friend. We lived thousands of miles apart but learned that we were raised about 30 miles from each other. In the past we hunted and fished in some of the same areas. It is still difficult to put it all into words. But every time I open the Coffee Shop and see this thread I think of him.

boondocks":nqmw8xq8 said:
melking":nqmw8xq8 said:

Don was indeed easy to like. He was one of those rare people that you knew in your heart that he was a person with some substance. Users here don't know but he had some contact with me. I never, ever contacted him except on behalf of TT because I respected him too much to put him in an uncomfortable position. He got upset with me a couple times and he let me know that too. He ask me a couple times about snakes. Don was an advocate for the natural world. One time when he knew I was going to Missouri, he told Kris or maybe he told me, I cannot remember that I should stop by.

I did in fact ask him if TT could come back with his old user name. It was precious the way he replied. He said, tell him to try to log in but he better cut out the crap. He said he would unlock his old account. It worked.

I would bet my last dime, he had a heart of gold.

Dave":2zmw49ft said:
boondocks":2zmw49ft said:
melking":2zmw49ft said:

I have had that feeling now for nearly a month. Wondering how to put into words. A man I never met yet I knew him for over 15 years. I never talked to him yet I referred to him as my friend. We lived thousands of miles apart but learned that we were raised about 30 miles from each other. In the past we hunted and fished in some of the same areas. It is still difficult to put it all into words. But every time I open the Coffee Shop and see this thread I think of him.

Yup. The last time I was at Don's house was back in December. I can still see him standing in the driveway in his old blue flannel shirt, green ball cap and dirty jeans waving goodbye and turning to go inside as I drove away.

greatgerts":2mi7m7pt said:
boondocks":2mi7m7pt said:
It's very weird not to log into CT and see his posts. Anyone else feeling the same way? :(

Almost daily. Monday, I had driven down to Springfield, MO, and as I was driving near where he lived, I sure was thinking a lot of him. Never had the chance to meet him, but sure wish I would have.
Same here a couple of weeks ago when I went to get clover seed in nixa. I don't know exactly where he lived but I know I was close.

Latest posts