So Long, My Old Friend

Help Support CattleToday:

He will be greatly missed, hard to believe he is gone. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

He was one of the good guys.
Breaks my heart, I prayed so hard.
I have no words.
God bless

Among his many accomplishments, I know dun treasured his time (1960-1980) in the US Navy.
Fair winds and following seas and long may your big jib draw!

When I hear of the passing of another poor traveler from this earth, I weep. For in my heart I know, that this is not the way it was meant to be. Death is a deep dark corruption of God's good creation, and only because of man's corruption, all of creation must suffer, die, and face Judgement.

But praise be to God that He provided way of escape from this final Judgement for all that will believe, through His Son. Though death will still come to all, death is not the end for those that believe. For those that believe in the sacrifice, that is Jesus Christ, they will be saved, and forever in paradise. Even in death, they will live.

"O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" 1 Corinthians 15:55

I'm so sad to hear this news. Don never had a cross word on CT for anyone (that I ever saw!), and did a great job as mod (which isn't easy at times, I'm sure, what with this rascally bunch). The internet is weird; I never got to meet him in person but you still feel like you get to know people a little and share a bit of their journey. I'm glad that he shared some of his with us, and I appreciate all of his kind helpful words to us novices. He never made me feel like there was a stupid question, and that helped give me a measure of fortitude. My deepest sympathy to his family. and friends. Wish he'd had some more time...

I spoke with Don's wife last night, and told her there were folks from here that would like to send flowers/condolences. Her first words were "No flowers!", so I'm taking it she doesn't want flowers... Below are a list of three charities that were near and dear to Don's heart, if someone wished to make a contribution in his honor to one of them I'm sure he'd be touched by the gesture.

Wagons for Warriors
Disabled American Veterans
Victory Junction Gang Camp in Randleman, North Carolina

Thank you all for your kind words, from Don's wife and me personally.

M Gravlee":2udq7opd said:
Don.jpg

Don Thorpe was an invaluable part of the Q & A Boards with his vast knowledge and experience that he was so willing to share with you as evidenced by his 47343 posts. As your Moderator he worked tirelessly to make this place a friendly place to come and discuss cattle issues and find solutions to your problems. Thank you Don for all you did to make this forum what it is today. Rest in peace my friend.
You will be missed Don. I'm sorry I never made it up to meet you. But we will meet up in heaven. Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Was browsing CT yesterday morning, had music playing in the background. This song played just as I was reading Dun's thread. Can't tell you how I felt. Thought I'd share it -
[youtube]https://youtu.be/zXRLozwejDk[/youtube]

I had the greatest of respect for you, dear Sir, you will be sorely missed.

R.I.P Don...

awww dangit..another good one gone too soon..rest peacefully sir...you will be missed..

we need to create a sticky or something on here to reference his posts....

Rest In Peace Don (Dun)

Ecclesiastes 3:1-9

1.There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2. A time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3. A time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
4. A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5. A. Time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6. A time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7. A time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8. A time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

Dun was a wise man direct and to the point, respectful of others, he will be missed. Prayers for his family.

Gizmom

dang, totally missed this thread.. As much as it sucks for all of us, may he rest in peace, and condolences to his friends and family everywhere!

Just getting around to seeing this thread :( . The weather, being busy, and my own family loss has me behind here on the forum. Hate seeing this news. Seems like death of people I respect and or care for are dropping like flies here lately. There definitely some new mansion owners in Heaven now. Didn't know Dun personally but always read his posts and looked forward to his replies. He was among one of the users here I respected the most :tiphat: . RIP Dun and God Bless the Family to keep going on.

I found this on Friday. How do I respond? This place just won't be the same without Dun. We were blessed to have him here as long as we did. Go bless his family in this tragic loss.

Latest posts