snake skin screw up *******!!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Those 2 skins just got done tanning up and I oiled them. I was working one to soften it back up and the darn thing tore right in the middle of the length and about half way thru. Dang dang dang dang!!!!!!!! After that I decided to just soak them in a bowl of neatsfoot oil, cover with a block and see what they are like tomorrow. I guess ill sew the tear up with some black thread. Darn right disappointing

That just proves that Rattle Snakes are not good for anything. I just hate snakes of any variety.

Next time try glycerin from the pharmacy - assuming they don't require a dang FBI background check like they are fixing to do with ammonium nitrate.

Being that these are the first snake skins I've tanned out, what's acceptable for amount of shrinkage! Seems they shrank down by 20 percent or so

You need to just stretch it on a board and wipe it down with glycerin. This will make it pliable and suitable for belts and wallets. If you will roll them up and put them in the freezer I can get you about $6/foot.

They're pliable enough, just smaller. I'm afraid to stretch em too much after tearing the 5 1/2 footer. I worked them pretty good today across the rounded egde of a 4x4. Next ones I do ill tack down before salting and tanning

hooknline, i've had some experience tanning rattlesnake and no way you should be getting 20% shrink. jo's advice concerning the glycerine is the solution. be careful with too much oil as it will eventually cause the leather to deteriorate somewhat..........good luck

Thx Tsmaxx and Joe. They are what they are now. They look good, feel good, but I learned a bit about the reptile skins vs mammal skins. My wifes uncle is sending me a green mohave to do in exchange for sending him the next eastern we get. Its a learning process for sure.

Latest posts