Snake identification

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme":3myq03kg said:
cowboy43":3myq03kg said:
Looks like chicken snake, harmless snake, non poisonous , just makes you mess your pants. They will bite if provoked .

Technically, no such critter as a chicken snake. However, it is a commonly used name that amateurs use to refer to various Ratsnakes and other similar species.

If you don't accept that, Google Chicken snake. Look under Wikipedia. It will explain that it is a colloquial term for referring to about 4 different species of serpent.

Being condescending is the most common way smart&*^% identify themselves. If you don't believe me, read about 75% of your posts, under either of your 10 various user names.

A Professional Herpetologist in addition to everything else you are an expert on? Who needs Wikipedia, we have you!

SJB":1qw3t0h3 said:
Being condescending is the most common way smart&*^% identify themselves. If you don't believe me, read about 75% of your posts, under either of your 10 various user names.
And what was your last name?

cowgirl8":1ei37ew9 said:
SJB":1ei37ew9 said:
And what was your last name?

Only one. You know that.

SJB":20w4otmk said:
Margonme":20w4otmk said:
cowboy43":20w4otmk said:
Looks like chicken snake, harmless snake, non poisonous , just makes you mess your pants. They will bite if provoked .

Technically, no such critter as a chicken snake. However, it is a commonly used name that amateurs use to refer to various Ratsnakes and other similar species.

If you don't accept that, Google Chicken snake. Look under Wikipedia. It will explain that it is a colloquial term for referring to about 4 different species of serpent.

A Professional Herpetologist in addition to everything else you are an expert on? Who needs Wikipedia, we have you!

I disagree. But thank you. Nothing about me will change.

Edited to add: Give me credit, I am better than Wikipedia!

I am not a Professional Herpetologist. I did do my thesis in the field of Herpetology. To qualify as a professional I would have had to make it my living. Those jobs are impossible to get.

callmefence":2c8maz9w said:
This has been a very interesting thread. I've learned what a herpetologist is. And that it's not anywhere near as bad as you'd think.
LOL...isnt that the truth..

callmefence":1xheolhd said:
This has been a very interesting thread. I've learned what a herpetologist is. And that it's not anywhere near as bad as you'd think.

When I was doing my thesis, the late Joseph T. Collins came to Kentucky to collect herptiles. My graduate professor ask me to take him on a collection tour. At the time, I wanted to work professionally in the field of herpetology. Joseph T. Collins was the Curator of the Museum of Natural History at the University of Kansas, Lawrence. I ask him what my chances were of getting a job like that. He replied, "About as good as getting struck by lightning." You see, those who get those jobs die at those jobs. As did, Joseph T. Collins.

That snake looks like the hoop snake my grandmother described when she was a small girl. She said the snake was spotted and would take its tail in its mouth to form a hoop and roll to you and sting you with a stinger in its tail.

hurleyjd":140w7hju said:
That snake looks like the hoop snake my grandmother described when she was a small girl. She said the snake was spotted and would take its tail in its mouth to form a hoop and roll to you and sting you with a stinger in its tail.

The hoop and the stinger on the tail is a myth. There are more myths about snakes than there are about faeries and bigfoot.

The hoop snake is a legendary creature of the United States, Canada, and Australia. It appears in the Pecos Bill stories; although his description of hoop snakes is the one with which people are most familiar, stories of the creature predate those fictional tales considerably. Several sightings of the hoop snake have been alleged along the Minnesota-Wisconsin border in the St. Croix River valley, Wake County in North Carolina, and Kamloops, British Columbia.

Margonme":3eab7bg9 said:
hurleyjd":3eab7bg9 said:

The hoop and the stinger on the tail is a myth. There are more myths about snakes than there are about faeries and bigfoot.

The hoop snake is a legendary creature of the United States, Canada, and Australia. It appears in the Pecos Bill stories; although his description of hoop snakes is the one with which people are most familiar, stories of the creature predate those fictional tales considerably. Several sightings of the hoop snake have been alleged along the Minnesota-Wisconsin border in the St. Croix River valley, Wake County in North Carolina, and Kamloops, British Columbia.

Do not take me seriously this was posted for fun.

Margonme":1ft81ir3 said:
callmefence":1ft81ir3 said:

When I was doing my thesis, the late Joseph T. Collins came to Kentucky to collect herptiles. My graduate professor ask me to take him on a collection tour. At the time, I wanted to work professionally in the field of herpetology. Joseph T. Collins was the Curator of the Museum of Natural History at the University of Kansas, Lawrence. I ask him what my chances were of getting a job like that. He replied, "About as good as getting struck by lightning." You see, those who get those jobs die at those jobs. As did, Joseph T. Collins.

Okay we now now who is a person who studies snakes is clled. Now what do you call the person that studies stinging insects such as wasp, yellow jackets, hornets and bees and any thing else with a stinger.

hurleyjd":9ygebuxu said:
Margonme":9ygebuxu said:
hurleyjd":9ygebuxu said:

Do not take me seriously this was posted for fun.

To use a John Wayne line from a movie, "Well, excuse me all to heII."

I am all for fun.
:banana:

hurleyjd":2i73hnx7 said:
Margonme":2i73hnx7 said:
callmefence":2i73hnx7 said:

Okay we now now who is a person who studies snakes is clled. Now what do you call the person that studies stinging insects such as wasp, yellow jackets, hornets and bees and any thing else with a stinger.

That would come under the heading of Entomology. Of course, if you specialize in venomous insects that is a specialized category of Entomologist. BTW: I hope this does not sound condescending but I have 24 semester hours on my transcript in Entomology. I am just a walking Encyclopedia.

:deadhorse:
Now we are having FUN!

SJB":2hkyuxk7 said:
Margonme":2hkyuxk7 said:
cowboy43":2hkyuxk7 said:

SJB. I have thought about your post quoted above. I do not take it personal. WORDS ON A SCREEN! Seems you take my participation here more serious than I take mine!

I will throw down a challenge. Show me one post I put on this forum that is as rude as your post above!

SJB":23b6c92a said:
Margonme":23b6c92a said:
cowboy43":23b6c92a said:

He is a pretty well educated intelligent feller. Keep reading his comments and you might learn something. ;-)

Latest posts