Snake identification

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":1myu8yn4 said:
Margonme":1myu8yn4 said:
Fence, here is the Google search I referenced:

Chicken snake may refer to:

Pantherophis alleghaniensis, a.k.a. the eastern rat snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America

Elaphe guttata, a.k.a. the corn snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America

Elaphe obsoleta, a.k.a. the black rat snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America

Elaphe spiloides, a.k.a. the gray rat snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America

Pituophis m. melanoleucus, a.k.a. the northern pine snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America

If it's up round the house or barn it's a chicken snake. If it's out in the pasture it's a rat snake.
Unless you got rat's in the house, or chickens in the pasture. Then identification can get tricky.

That is clever. With your permission, I can get a publication out of that. I'll write that up and credit you in the Bibliography.

:lol: :hat:

Ryder":207pgy6e said:
Good grief!
It is a snake and that's all the name you need. :roll:
Kill it and be done with it.

Snakes aren't bad. They have very useful purposes. As long as you don't mess with them they won't mess with you. Unlike Muslims.

Margonme":29sonwj8 said:
Ryder":29sonwj8 said:
Good grief!
It is a snake and that's all the name you need. :roll:
Kill it and be done with it.

A ratsnake is harmless. Farmer's friend.
They may be harmless to people but they can raise caine with underwear

you all never seen this before its a suicidal snake it... It came clear across a field just to get under my disc while I was discing.

IMG_20160925_132452390_zpstuonvzmn.jpg

IMG_20160925_132952762_zps4cidekfh.jpg

skyhightree1":k4wnqk8p said:
you all never seen this before its a suicidal snake it... It came clear across a field just to get under my disc while I was discing.

IMG_20160925_132452390_zpstuonvzmn.jpg

IMG_20160925_132952762_zps4cidekfh.jpg

Brother, that is mean. That was a beautiful adult Black Ratsnake. I can see the white under the jawline.

I really do hate to see you kill a ratsnake. Perhaps, the most beneficial snake a farmer has working for him.

Sky, had one that was over 4 feet determined to get in the rake, two different times when I hit the same general area on my rounds with the old H and a side delivery rake. Finally the third time I saw him again, I got off the tractor and stepped right about on his head, picked him up and took him about 50 yards to the woods and turned him loose. He was working his way into the field and into each swath I was turning up into a windrow.....dummy. My son has a fit when I go out of my way to move a snake, but as a kid I worked at a museum type place that had animal exhibits, and I have always had a great deal of respect for snakes and raised garter snakes in ct. as a science project. YES I am very careful to identify what kind they are and will not touch one that I even have the slightest question about. But they eat more mice and small rodents, and yes occasionally eggs out of the chicken coops, and I won't kill them unless I just don't see them or they have a death wish like the one you got did.
Our black snakes here average 3-4 feet when we see them. Found a skin that was over 5 1/2 feet in the barn when we were cleaning out to put new square bales in. There had been a big mouse/rat problem when we rented it, but it soon wasn't a concern. Thank you mr snake!!

Snake was crazy I had hit him then finished him I don't kill those snakes for the most part however neighbor missing eggs will be thankful lol

I agree with Ryder, and keep looking for someone to come out with a herpicide to spray this place with & get rid of all of em.

Never mind all the technical stuff! I just want to know if it's shiny or dull! :shock:

My farm snake is a 8 or 9 foot blacksnake named Franklin.
Have watched him grow over the years in the barns. Catches a lot of mice and makes a nice conversation piece when someone sees him.
He actually lives in the winter in my garage. He gets under the concrete slab and goes thru the shower drain box and lives in the bottom of the cabinet. Open the door, move a board and there he is.
He cannot however, get into the garage apartment. Don't want my kids sleeping with him.
gs

plumber_greg":zd0iysdu said:
My farm snake is a 8 or 9 foot blacksnake named Franklin.
Have watched him grow over the years in the barns. Catches a lot of mice and makes a nice conversation piece when someone sees him.
He actually lives in the winter in my garage. He gets under the concrete slab and goes thru the shower drain box and lives in the bottom of the cabinet. Open the door, move a board and there he is.
He cannot however, get into the garage apartment. Don't want my kids sleeping with him.
gs

Good for you. Franklin is large. Post a picture if you could. I would very much like to see him.

TennesseeTuxedo":17thrlef said:
Alan":17thrlef said:
Never mind all the technical stuff! I just want to know if it's shiny or dull! :shock:

It took 2 full pages and part of a third but I knew it was coming.
And still want to overlook that he finally admitted i was right.....

TennesseeTuxedo":2zucl6wx said:
Alan":2zucl6wx said:

Yep. Can we really be sure though without her input? I mean what do we really know about this so called expert margo?

Craig Miller":2128lxyd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2128lxyd said:
Alan":2128lxyd said:

Yep. Can we really be sure though without her input? I mean what do we really know about this so called expert margo?
Need i retrieve the page where he admits i'm right?

Latest posts