Snake proof boots/chaps

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":2tii8o6z said:
I've been wanting some snake proof gear for a while. Do I want boots or chaps?

I have both and the plastic leggings ... I will say this those freaking chaps are a B... getting on and off off pants sometimes.. the plastic leggings are ok if you have small legs :lol2: that being said boots are the way to go and DO NOT GO CHEAP

Commercialfarmer":34oeqpvz said:
callmefence":34oeqpvz said:
I was just a little kid when my great uncle lyndell came skidding up to the house in his old pickup truck. He jumps out screaming he's been snakebit.. had his jumper cables tied round his leg for a turniquite.
He'd pulled through the gate and ran the rattlesnake over. When he got out to go close the gate. The snake got him . No rattle just nailed him. Almost killed him , 2 weeks in the hospital.
When he gets out he goes to a little bar south of Florence called the rattlesnake inn. Meets up with a little senioriata and ends up back at her place. Didn't know her husband had been following them. He gets lyndells shotgun out of the gun rack in his pickup. Walks in the house aims and pulls the trigger. Click. Wasn't a round in the chamber and I guess the mescun didn't know how to get one there.
He turns the gun around and beats old lyndell till he breaks the shotgun in half. Then sticks a 6 " buck knife in his eyesocket and breaks the blade off in his skull.
Lyndell spent a month in a coma, had to get a glass eye, never was right after that.................all because he didn't have snake boots. :cboy:

Which brand do you recommend?

Couldn't say. Never owned a pair.

True Grit Farms":2wmt6178 said:
Carrying a Glock loaded with snake shot is a good repellent. Been looking for a rattle snake all summer and haven't found one yet.

I keep a security six with ratshot in the boat.
At about 5.00 a round I'll usually just whack em with the paddle first.
Nothing in the world like sitting in a small boat in the dark and hearing a meaty thunk sound. Turn on the lights and there's a cottonmouth between your feet. Absolutely exhilarating experience. You know your alive!!Everyone should experience it. No where to run nothing to do but fight.

True Grit Farms":33m69nnd said:
Carrying a Glock loaded with snake shot is a good repellent. Been looking for a rattle snake all summer and haven't found one yet.

round home I carry my judge....with shot shells.

at work I carry either a 357 or a 45 revolver...not just for snakes but over the years I have encountered wild dogs, rabid coons, bear and never seen one but have seen big cat tracks.......

I was at a place yesterday checking on some fields and the land was rented by the producer I was working for....went to the door and told the lady why I was there and went back to the truck...truck had the logo and all to match the information I had handed her on my card....

I could feel her watching me...when I got my stuff out and strapped on that 357 she had the phone in her hand...when I was several hundred yards away I could see her standing by the truck talking on the phone...don't know who she called but no one bothered me.

long story short is that I am not worried about the snake I see....I am worried about the ones that make me do a sphincter check. I am not as quick as I used to be and I never was real quick...

pdfangus":3tl87i6w said:
True Grit Farms":3tl87i6w said:

round home I carry my judge....with shot shells.

at work I carry either a 357 or a 45 revolver...not just for snakes but over the years I have encountered wild dogs, rabid coons, bear and never seen one but have seen big cat tracks.......

I was at a place yesterday checking on some fields and the land was rented by the producer I was working for....went to the door and told the lady why I was there and went back to the truck...truck had the logo and all to match the information I had handed her on my card....

I could feel her watching me...when I got my stuff out and strapped on that 357 she had the phone in her hand...when I was several hundred yards away I could see her standing by the truck talking on the phone...don't know who she called but no one bothered me.

long story short is that I am not worried about the snake I see....I am worried about the ones that make me do a sphincter check. I am not as quick as I used to be and I never was real quick...

Slow and easy is almost always better than quick when it comes to snakes

JMJ Farms":22jf1a0r said:
callmefence":22jf1a0r said:
I was just a little kid when my great uncle lyndell came skidding up to the house in his old pickup truck. He jumps out screaming he's been snakebit.. had his jumper cables tied round his leg for a turniquite.
He'd pulled through the gate and ran the rattlesnake over. When he got out to go close the gate. The snake got him . No rattle just nailed him. Almost killed him , 2 weeks in the hospital.
When he gets out he goes to a little bar south of Florence called the rattlesnake inn. Meets up with a little senioriata and ends up back at her place. Didn't know her husband had been following them. He gets lyndells shotgun out of the gun rack in his pickup. Walks in the house aims and pulls the trigger. Click. Wasn't a round in the chamber and I guess the mescun didn't know how to get one there.
He turns the gun around and beats old lyndell till he breaks the shotgun in half. Then sticks a 6 " buck knife in his eyesocket and breaks the blade off in his skull.
Lyndell spent a month in a coma, had to get a glass eye, never was right after that.................all because he didn't have snake boots. :cboy:

Dang. Fence you oughta sell the rights to that story to one of the snake boot/chaps/gaiters manufacturers to use as a sales pitch. I bet even city folks would buy a pair to avoid that scenario :clap:

Heck, he has me convinced that I need snake boots and all we have here is Gardner snakes.

Rancher my daughter worked for in Montana told me that one day he pulled out to the mail box. Of course it was right by the end of the driveway and the driveway had a cattle guard. When he got out he heard a rattler in under the cattle guard. So I gets a gun out of the pickup and starts looking for the snake. It is a bright sunny day but it is shady and dark under the guard. He got to walking on the guard peering down into it. His foot slipped down between the rails of the guard. He very quickly pulled his foot back to keep from being snake bit. Doing that he tore off most of the skin between his knee and his ankle. He never did get the snake but was sure had a sore leg for a couple of weeks.

Aren't regular cowboy boots sufficient? Just wear normal Justin's 13" shaft unless I need traction and depending on time of year and weather either wear Timberlands or Muck boots. Timbs are I think like 6" shaft so would offer like zero snake bite protection. Usually wearing Muck boots at time of year when snakes are dormant for the winter so not worried about it then. Are snake boots thicker leather or what? Never actually been bit by snake most of what we have is not poisonous but we do have rattlers.

pdubdo":1jxjv214 said:
Was thinking about asking this in a separate post, but how many of you routinely carry a firearm out in your fields?

Rarely ever a firearm unless I'm in my truck. I keep a varmint rifle in the truck. And maybe a few other firearms but only for sport. Rarely a week goes by when I'm not target shooting. I enjoy the smell of cordite in the morning.

True Grit Farms":2ua2zomv said:
pdubdo":2ua2zomv said:
Was thinking about asking this in a separate post, but how many of you routinely carry a firearm out in your fields?
I'm carrying a pistol if I'm not sleeping.

ditto often more than one....

and there is a 44 magnum in the headboard of my bed

Dave":djxuos6e said:
JMJ Farms":djxuos6e said:
callmefence":djxuos6e said:

Dang. Fence you oughta sell the rights to that story to one of the snake boot/chaps/gaiters manufacturers to use as a sales pitch. I bet even city folks would buy a pair to avoid that scenario :clap:

Heck, he has me convinced that I need snake boots and all we have here is Gardner snakes.

Agree Dave. Also makes me think a fella needs to be careful about what snake hole he is putting his snake into.

Latest posts