Snake proof boots/chaps

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've been wanting some snake proof gear for a while. Do I want boots or chaps?

been investigating this topic myself...
interesting in everybodies input.
Right now I am doing a lot of walking around the weedy edges of crop fields and snakes are a worry...

I don't wear anything so I can't really say. But they also make plastic - fiberglass leggings that some of the Forest Service guy's wear around here. I've been bit 3 times by rattlesnakes so far in my life and only once was it serious. Wearing just a good pair of leather boots saved me the other 2 times.

Got both as squirrel hunting here in October without them is not smart.
Chaps are hot so I usually get the boots unless it is a cool morning. Closest I ever come to getting bit was a morning about 45 degrees big timber rattler sunning himself on the back side of a log. I wear them religiously in bow season bad to be around the deer feeders here. It is like you set up a Mickey D's for them to fill up before hibernation

Bigfoot, look at what they call gaiters. Come to the knee and strap on over your boots. I've had boots, chaps and gaiters but prefer the gaiters. You only have to wear them when you need them unlike boots and not as hot or heavy as the chaps.

LRTX1":2uzncc1d said:
Bigfoot, look at what they call gaiters. Come to the knee and strap on over your boots. I've had boots, chaps and gaiters but prefer the gaiters. You only have to wear them when you need them unlike boots and not as hot or heavy as the chaps.

Checking it out now.

Gaiters look comfortable. I'm assuming a good heavy work boot is enough to protect your foot? The only poisonous snake I have is copperheads. You can step on them without warning.

Bigfoot":1i7gzxxv said:
Gaiters look comfortable. I'm assuming a good heavy work boot is enough to protect your foot? The only poisonous snake I have is copperheads. You can step on them without warning.

ditto here. I just came in from walking a few miles around crop field borders thru the weeds and stepping on a copperhead is always a concern. I wear a good work boot...but always worry about one than might go a little higher...

I have been shopping gaiters for a while but there are so many and such a wide range of prices and features that I am more confused than when I started.

Bigfoot":2zc6ipd3 said:
How I wish that is all we had we are ate up with timber rattlers and big ones, every once in awhile you will stumble across an eastern diamond back. The easterns are not near as bad as usually they will give you warning.
If you hear a timber rattler here you are in striking distance.

Work boots and chaps are pretty standard for me but when turtles are crawling I will wear Chippewa snake boots. If I don't plan on walking a whole lot I wear the pull on but if I'll be walking several miles I will wear the lace ups - they are very comfortable but a bytch to take off at night.

This is just a little nonvenomous snake so you can see just how high he can strike. I have Chippewa Laceups on in this picture. Regular work boots would have meant a bite but this snake had another six inches to go before he could get a bite of flesh.

I was just a little kid when my great uncle lyndell came skidding up to the house in his old pickup truck. He jumps out screaming he's been snakebit.. had his jumper cables tied round his leg for a turniquite.
He'd pulled through the gate and ran the rattlesnake over. When he got out to go close the gate. The snake got him . No rattle just nailed him. Almost killed him , 2 weeks in the hospital.
When he gets out he goes to a little bar south of Florence called the rattlesnake inn to celebrate. Meets up with a little senioriata and ends up back at her place. Didn't know her husband had been following them. He gets lyndells shotgun out of the gun rack in his pickup. Walks in the house aims and pulls the trigger. Click. Wasn't a round in the chamber and I guess the mescun didn't know how to get one there.
He turns the gun around and beats old lyndell till he breaks the shotgun in half. Then sticks a 6 " buck knife in his eyesocket and breaks the blade off in his skull.
Lyndell spent a month in a coma, had to get a glass eye, never was right after that.................all because he didn't have snake boots. :cboy:

callmefence":1ptewu0t said:
I was just a little kid when my great uncle lyndell came skidding up to the house in his old pickup truck. He jumps out screaming he's been snakebit.. had his jumper cables tied round his leg for a turniquite.
He'd pulled through the gate and ran the rattlesnake over. When he got out to go close the gate. The snake got him . No rattle just nailed him. Almost killed him , 2 weeks in the hospital.
When he gets out he goes to a little bar south of Florence called the rattlesnake inn. Meets up with a little senioriata and ends up back at her place. Didn't know her husband had been following them. He gets lyndells shotgun out of the gun rack in his pickup. Walks in the house aims and pulls the trigger. Click. Wasn't a round in the chamber and I guess the mescun didn't know how to get one there.
He turns the gun around and beats old lyndell till he breaks the shotgun in half. Then sticks a 6 " buck knife in his eyesocket and breaks the blade off in his skull.
Lyndell spent a month in a coma, had to get a glass eye, never was right after that.................all because he didn't have snake boots. :cboy:

Which brand do you recommend?

callmefence":1admhxpe said:
When he gets out he goes to a little bar south of Florence called the rattlesnake inn. Meets up with a little senioriata and ends up back at her place. Didn't know her husband had been following them. He gets lyndells shotgun out of the gun rack in his pickup. Walks in the house aims and pulls the trigger. Click. Wasn't a round in the chamber and I guess the mescun didn't know how to get one there.

Dang. Fence you oughta sell the rights to that story to one of the snake boot/chaps/gaiters manufacturers to use as a sales pitch. I bet even city folks would buy a pair to avoid that scenario :clap:

I have worn the rocky boots for years turkey hunting, they work first hand on copperheads. For work I would prefer gaiters and my redwings.

Rattlesnakes got my attention in the sixties cousin got bit after the dog
The dog died and he almost did and was a young man at the time. After seeing what he went through was enough to make anyone be careful.

I have a pair of Rocky snake boots they were not very comfortable at first and not very water proof like they said. After they have been wore a lot and got softer plus I removed the so called water proof liner a put in some insoles now they are not bad. I did hear that after they get broke in, like mine are that they loose some of there protection. ??? I also have a pair of snake chaps I liked them when I was coon hunting a lot they are also great in briars. also have a pair of the hard plastic ones that fit over the top of your boots , don't like them, make way to much noise when walking deer hunting. Copper heads I don't worry a lot about big rattlers I don't like, have killed some close to 6', and big cotton mouths I HATE them they will try to get you.

callmefence":37mqtdc6 said:
When he gets out he goes to a little bar south of Florence called the rattlesnake inn to celebrate. Meets up with a little senioriata and ends up back at her place. Didn't know her husband had been following them. He gets lyndells shotgun out of the gun rack in his pickup. Walks in the house aims and pulls the trigger. Click. Wasn't a round in the chamber and I guess the mescun didn't know how to get one there.

Best story ever on Cattle Today.
LMAO.

Bigfoot. When I was in the mountains of eastern Kentucky looking for snakes including Copperheads and Timber Rattlesnakes. I wore lace up leather boots and gaiters. The gaiters were often worn by WWI and WWII troops. Have a strap that goes under the boot just in front of the heel. They cover most of the boot except the toe. Take a big snake to get through both.

Latest posts