Boots for snow weather

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Looking for new boots for snow work. 3E width is a factor.
Always wore Northerner but they aren't the same now.
I've been looking at Dryshod.

Last edited:
I am not in snow country but have had a pair if dryshods for four years. They are pretty close to worn out now. One boot leaks in the toe and both boots are separating from the soles. They are comfortable, dry and warm. I have worn them for hours working cattle. I had some boggs before and the rubber parts did not go up far enough and the tops wore out quickly. When I bought mine they did have but a few styles. Now it looks like they have 20 or so. I will buy another pair very soon.

I have some Dryshod Arctic boots and I have wide feet. They are comfortable and warm, well worth the money. We get temps near zero in the winter and never had issues with cold feet.

My only experience with rubber boots is Lacrosse and I haven't had a reason to change to something else. Not sure if those would work for you or not.

I have to tip my hat to my northern cousins and say "Sorel"
They do make a good boot.

Looking for new boots for snow work. 3E width is a factor.
Always wore Northerner but they aren't the same now.
I've been looking at Dryshod.

Bird dog said:
I am not in snow country but have had a pair if dryshods for four years. They are pretty close to worn out now. One boot leaks in the toe and both boots are separating from the soles. They are comfortable, dry and warm. I have worn them for hours working cattle. I had some boggs before and the rubber parts did not go up far enough and the tops wore out quickly. When I bought mine they did have but a few styles. Now it looks like they have 20 or so. I will buy another pair very soon.

Chaded said:
My only experience with rubber boots is Lacrosse and I haven't had a reason to change to something else. Not sure if those would work for you or not.
Maybe something like Muck boots(I think there are arctic model, but I was fine with Wetland+a pair of wool socks, since it's not really that cold out here.
https://blog.gritrsports.com/muck-boots-shoes-review-part-1/ check it out, maybe it's gonna be helpful.
Dryshod is pretty good, not sure if Lacrosse and Danners make 3E(probably do). Muck boots are pretty decent I think, but once again, not sure about 3E

I switched from Muck boots to Dry Shod and I like them. Biggest consideration for me was the ankle replacement. Could not get the Muck boots on because the ankle does not have enough flex to straighten to get them off... It is still alot better than having it fused. But it was a big deal to not be able to get the muck boot off that foot. I also found that the muck boot would separate in the back from the waterproof rubber to the softer top fabric. So far I like the dry shod. Wide width too.. I wear a 3-4 EEE due to the replacement and bunion like disfiguration on the other foot. But I have always worn wide shoes.. have flat feet so they always needed wide shoes.
I really liked the Sorels I had as a kid/adult in Conn.... like taking out the felt liner to dry out the sweating dampness. They would keep our feet warm all day when working in the snow or on the lake ice fishing as a kid. Had some for years when I first moved down here and they did the job. I haven't tried any in years, don't know if I could get them on this ankle now... they are a little heavier, but then that makes me pick up my feet better too which is good for the knee replacements.

Last edited:
I switched from Muck boots to Dry Shod and I like them. Biggest consideration for me was the ankle replacement. Could not get the Muck boots on because the ankle does not have enough flex to straighten to get them off... It is still alot better than having it fused. But it was a big deal to not be able to get the muck boot off that foot. I also found that the muck boot would separate in the back from the waterproof rubber to the softer top fabric. So far I like the dry shod. Wide width too.. I wear a 3-4 EEE due to the replacement and bunion like disfiguration on the other foot. But I have always worn wide shoes.. have flat feet so they always needed wide shoes.
I really liked the Sorels I had as a kid/adult in Conn.... like taking out the felt liner to dry out the sweating dampness. They would keep our feet warm all day when working in the snow or on the lake ice fishing as a kid. Had some for years when I first moved down here and they did the job. I haven't tried any in years, don't know if I could get them on this ankle now... they are a little heavier, but then that makes me pick up my feet better too which is good for the knee replacements.
Yeah, Muck boots have pretty stiff ankle fit(not much of an issue for me personally, but can see it being a problem).
I completely switched to wide shoes, even in summer( wide sneakers) and wide toebox training boots for gym.
It's getting pretty cold rn, I've pretty much switched to my Danners at this point for daily activities( using LOWA Tactical Zephyr usually while it's warm).

I have Noble "Muds" basically like a Muck or Bogs. I have that same issue with an ankle getting Mucks or Bogs on my right foot. Not a problem with the Muds. I have 2 full years on them now and no issues.

Growing up in Minnesota, Sorel Glaciers are what everyone used in the winter. At the time there was no better winter boot made.

I struggled with Muck boots for years. They used to be so good, but not anymore. Every year I'd buy another pair of Arctic Sports because they're so comfortable, and every spring they had already cracked across the toe where my foot bends while walking. Fine if I'm not standing in deep snow or a foot of snowmelt water. But sometimes I AM standing in deep snow or mud or water... so I'd get another pair of Mucks and they'd break down in a year like the ones before.

Finally, I just bought a cheap pair of boots (Kamik, I think) online. They were 50 bucks so I figured if I had to get another pair every year, at least it wouldn't cost as much as the Mucks, but I've worn these boots for three winters (this will be winter number four) and they are PERFECT, other than being dirty. No cracks, no separating soles... Next time I need boots, I'll get more and hope they're as good as these first ones I bought.

By the way, I heard that Dry Shod is what Muck Boots used to be. Muck is now made in China, and Dry Shod is the new Muck boot, but it's expensive. I haven't had the guts to try them yet - Muck's name is still "mud" with me. ;) And since these $50 Kamiks are performing so well, who needs them?

Latest posts