SNOW - WINTER WEATHER

Help Support CattleToday:

You, like most of the world, probably knew it as Burma. They changed the name in the late 80s/early 90s.
Burma is one of the few places that interest me. I used to do house calls to 2 sister's dogs, they had separate houses and they were Burmese. One was a widow whose late husband was an Australian, the other was married to a Canadian. They were lovely ladies, they grew up on a rubber plantation in Burma pre ww2, their father managed this big plantation. They had to keep their wits about them to survive, always people trying to take over the plantation, one of them told me how she saw her father cut the throat of an intruder one night. They escaped to Australia when the Japs were invading. They had a hard time in Australia during the war as people thought they were of Japanese origin. The one married to the Australian lived with him on a small island of their own I think it was in the Maldives group. She was a good cook and they were visited a lot by cruising yachts and soon got the reputation as a good place to visit and she had an informal restaurant for income. Her husband "Bluey" liked his grog, she told me how she would send Bluey in their boat to a bigger island for supplies and Bluey would visit every pub there and come back late in the evening hanging off the side of the boat with a bottle of grog in one hand singing. She had a drawing in her house that one of the yachties drew of Bluey and he did look like a bit of a character.
There was a US publisher that was pushing her to write a book of her life which she was doing when I used to visit however my understanding was she did not finish it due to dementia. Her brother in law, Gordan, the Canadian told me a bit about Bluey when they visited, he was a bit of a wild boy.

Ken

Burma is one of the few places that interest me. I used to do house calls to 2 sister's dogs, they had separate houses and they were Burmese. One was a widow whose late husband was an Australian, the other was married to a Canadian. They were lovely ladies, they grew up on a rubber plantation in Burma pre ww2, their father managed this big plantation. They had to keep their wits about them to survive, always people trying to take over the plantation, one of them told me how she saw her father cut the throat of an intruder one night. They escaped to Australia when the Japs were invading. They had a hard time in Australia during the war as people thought they were of Japanese origin. The one married to the Australian lived with him on a small island of their own I think it was in the Maldives group. She was a good cook and they were visited a lot by cruising yachts and soon got the reputation as a good place to visit and she had an informal restaurant for income. Her husband "Bluey" liked his grog, she told me how she would send Bluey in their boat to a bigger island for supplies and Bluey would visit every pub there and come back late in the evening hanging off the side of the boat with a bottle of grog in one hand singing. She had a drawing in her house that one of the yachties drew of Bluey and he did look like a bit of a character.
There was a US publisher that was pushing her to write a book of her life which she was doing when I used to visit however my understanding was she did not finish it due to dementia. Her brother in law, Gordan, the Canadian told me a bit about Bluey when they visited, he was a bit of a wild boy.

Ken
From your limited introduction of her and Bluey, I would have read that book if she had finished it.

We did not get anything other than flurries - maybe an inch accumulation. And, like Chevy - ours usually stays all winter. "Generally" get a thaw in January. We just ran out of grazing and are on full hay now. We plan on 6 months of feeding - sometimes only about 5 months. End of November thru end of April.
The Great Lakes creates their own rain/snow. "Lake effect" snow. Winds blow over the lakes and picks up the moisture and dumps on us. We have an average 120" a year snow fall. We do not have the ability to stockpile grazing. Snow gets too packed and iced over. We are a very high MOISTURE environment. We don't get the extreme lows, but ours is a much colder FEELING environment.
Annual average = 10 feet…dang…just…DANG! Y'all stay warm and keep your fingers and toes warm…not to be redundant, but DANG!

😆 🤣 some breeders on here get a lot more than me, I'm sure. It is ideal to have a foot of snow pack on the ground. It is a warm insulation for the cows.
Last year we were way off our snow and freezing weather. Much harder on the cattle....and us!! This year has been like last year, so far.

120" would be close to a record low snowfall for a season, and the way this winter is going its a possibility.

Our long term average is just over 180" and the most snowfall I've seen is 280 some inches.

It gets a little challenging at times.

120" would be close to a record low snowfall for a season, and the way this winter is going its a possibility.

Our long term average is just over 180" and the most snowfall I've seen is 280 some inches.

A "little challenging" - you folks are something else…hats off to you…sincerely

My only challenge would be when the roads opened up and I could head south. I dont handle snow well anymore.

Should hit here around 4 a.m. Tues..... starting as snow/wintry mix.. winds gusting to 40 or so also... changing over to rain, heavy and some flooding. Ought to be taking out some of the many dead ash trees and then power outages and such...

I've got to ask. Were they Burmese Mountain Dogs?

Started slushing on me about 530pm as I was tucking in my cows for a wet winter night. Well it was rain all night, no snow.
Coffee cup is empty, time to feed them.

Remember the old dunk n dougnuts commercial? I feel like that some days.
Time to feed the cows..... I already fed the cows.

Well weather wishes for all.....

Latest posts