Snake shot for self defense

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I was taught and believe in that you pull the trigger to kill period. My personal defense pistol is loaded with the real deal.
I have a friend, a career fireman who carries with his first round being snakeshot. The clip is loaded with lethal rounds. His thinking is that while the snakeshot might not kill a attacker in most cases it will turn him. ( he'll think he's been shot) he feels that in the case of a questionable incident. Juvenile, unarmed or wrong race attacker being a few examples.
Or in the case of a accident, mistaken intentions, bystanders, or accidental discharge. It could save one from criminal and or civil liabilities.
He feels that if the lethal rounds or obviously needed it's easy enough to just burn the top round off. Or manually eject it if time allows.
With the snakeshot talk going on , I thought this might make for some discussion.

callmefence":3pgegzvi said:
I was taught and believe in that you pull the trigger to kill period. My personal defense pistol is loaded with the real deal.
I have a friend, a career fireman who carries with his first round being snakeshot. The clip is loaded with lethal rounds. His thinking is that while the snakeshot might not kill a attacker in most cases it will turn him. ( he'll think he's been shot) he feels that in the case of a questionable incident. Juvenile, unarmed or wrong race attacker being a few examples.
Or in the case of a accident, mistaken intentions, bystanders, or accidental discharge. It could save one from criminal and or civil liabilities.
He feels that if the lethal rounds or obviously needed it's easy enough to just burn the top round off. Or manually eject it if time allows.
With the snakeshot talk going on , I thought this might make for some discussion.

The problem with that thinking you are opening yourself up to you where not scared of imenemt danger.
In every self defense class I have taken they say don't use off the wall rounds or reloads use only ammo sold for self defense

Caustic Burno":1pqug1nb said:
callmefence":1pqug1nb said:

The problem with that thinking you are opening yourself up to you where not scared of imenemt danger.
In every self defense class I have taken they say don't use off the wall rounds or reloads use only ammo sold for self defense

Yes. Because of case law, it is not recommended that you use handloads. Use production ammunition. It is also recommended that you be familiar with the rules of engagement and the laws of your state on the use of lethal force.

The concept is simple: You have no intention of killing anyone, your purpose is self defense and protection of your family. If your adversary is stopped by suffering a lethal wound, it was not your intended purpose. ;-)

Some state shooting groups publish a a document on significant case history. Montana shooting sports had such a publication. Some of the case history is valuable. You might be surprised that the first thing that comes out of the shooters mouth is, "You Danm right I wanted to kill the SOB".

Might as well have a blank as snakeshot for the first round, or just yelkl BANG real loud. Shoot an empty coke can with snake shot from more than a couple of feet and all it will do is dent it. Other than in the face, snakshot isn;t going to penetrate much in the line of clothes even.

inyati13":6omyni3a said:
You might be surprised that the first thing that comes out of the shooters mouth is, "You Danm right I wanted to kill the SOB".

I will repeat what I was told by family member/10+ year police dept veteran:
"If you have to shoot someone at your home, make sure the first thing you say to 911 or the sheriff's deputy is I feared for my life.It works for us uncle Don and it will work for you".

A discussion about lying ensued and my alleged Christian nephew left rather upset.

Just to add to the discussion. 15 feet cci 357/38 . 4 inch barrel. Sign is about same material as a road sign. Zero pass through.
Quite non lethal. But considerably more than a blank. Combined with muzzle blast I think the typical meth head would think he was seeing God.

callmefence":2nyqdd16 said:
Just to add to the discussion. 15 feet cci 357/38 . 4 inch barrel. Sign is about same material as a road sign. Zero pass through.
Quite non lethal. But considerably more than a blank. Combined with muzzle blast I think the typical meth head would think he was seeing God.

I would tend to agree fence. Bu I've had several cops say that when these dopeheads are all jacked up on meth that they are almost unstoppable. I personally don't know but I would think it you popped that to him it wouldn't be pleasant.

M-5":leyqlq10 said:
Dead men tell no lies.

Give that man a cigar!

I feared for my life and I was shooting to 'stop' him.
2 shots center mass.

greybeard":dnkb25um said:
inyati13":dnkb25um said:
You might be surprised that the first thing that comes out of the shooters mouth is, "You Danm right I wanted to kill the SOB".

I will repeat what I was told by family member/10+ year police dept veteran:
"If you have to shoot someone at your home, make sure the first thing you say to 911 or the sheriff's deputy is I feared for my life.It works for us uncle Don and it will work for you".

A discussion about lying ensued and my alleged Christian nephew left rather upset.

Very good advice.

I would imagine snake shot to the face would take the fight out of someone. My Glock has a Hornady critical defense cartridge in the chamber followed by 2 rounds of snake shot and 12 more critical defense rounds just in case.

True Grit Farms":2b5mk53u said:
I would imagine snake shot to the face would take the fight out of someone. My Glock has a Hornady critical defense cartridge in the chamber followed by 2 rounds of snake shot and 12 more critical defense rounds just in case.

dun said you would do as well with a blank, I won't go that far but only a novice in self defense would use snakeshot in their defensive pistol. So we know what that makes you. :hide:

Well I've killed a few rattlesnakes and plenty of squirrels - rats with snake shot in my lifetime so far. And at 10 to 15 feet a human can't withstand snake shot to the face.
Only a novice would use a pistol for self-defense. IMO

True Grit Farms":1af26y5w said:
Well I've killed a few rattlesnakes and plenty of squirrels - rats with snake shot in my lifetime so far. And at 10 to 15 feet a human can't withstand snake shot to the face.
Only a novice would use a pistol for self-defense. IMO

Yes, and I have killed foxes, raccoons, mink and muskrats with a 10 cent broom handle but I would not want to take a 10 cent broom handle to a gun fight.

A sidearm has its place. In close quarters, you have fire power and maneuverability. If you are going room to room, a shotgun with 00 buckshot is effective. At longer range, use a rifle.

Again only for the sake of argument.

Scenario 1. While out walking at night, the large for his age 12 year old mentally challenged black kid (your white) decides to pretend to be robber with a toy pistol.
You shoot him in the face with snakeshot and send him down crying. Or you kill him.

#2. Your in a crowded Wal-Mart. And a crazed man with a machete attacks. You shoot him with a regular round. It passes through and kills a small child. Or you shoot him with snakeshot either stopping him complete, or at least distracting him enough to line up a safe line of fire.

3# your in a restaurant eating and 2 men come in and start actively shooting people. You double tap the first one.

The question would be. We're would each of these scenarios. Played out either way leave you.

Latest posts